Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

UW-UTEP Wooden Legacy Championship game thread

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,446
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Perhaps the best part of this game was that it was close at the end.

Playing under pressure like that against a Top 100 RPI team will certainly help this team mature come Pac-12 conference play.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    This goes down as a decent resume win. UTEP should challenge for the CUSA title and be a tourney team.

Actually impressed how we weathered the storm with the 2 bigs on the bench. And somehow still won with Durant Jr missing 6-7 at close range in the paint.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    dhdawg said:

I don't expect them to beat SDSU, but it is at home. We'll see

will need the dawgpack (RIP) to show up
  • Options
    BayDawgBayDawg Member Posts: 1,623
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Is it worrisome that we seem to foul every trip down the court?

Its a decent win, but we have an enormous amount of holes on this team.

NWG and Andrews make a nice backcourt. If they play great we have a chance. They arent getting nearly enough help, and what happened to our bench players?
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    BayDawg said:

Is it worrisome that we seem to foul every trip down the court?

Its a decent win, but we have an enormous amount of holes on this team.

NWG and Andrews make a nice backcourt. If they play great we have a chance. They arent getting nearly enough help, and what happened to our bench players?

This is one of the best benches UW has ever had under Romar. Upshaw is a beast, Dorsey is good, and Winters and Johnson are capable of having good games.

I need to see them play more before knowing for sure if they are good, but the team looks better than expected so far.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Andrews is a decent player. He is the type of player though where you will only remember the times he fucks up. You can't teach confidence like he has and it is better than being a talented player who is a huge pussy in crunch time.

And NWG could be one of the greatest husky players ever if he stays all 4 years which I find highly unlikely. Can't teach his IQ and feel of the game. I can't believe we were one of the few D1 schools to offer him as chilly just because he isnt a freak athlete.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    They look NIT caliber. I'm still not sold on anything more than that at this point. Arizona is really good and I don't know jack about the other 10 P 12 teams. I won't really care until January 5th either.
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

NWG is one of the best PG's in the country. I don't know who all the best players in the Pac 12 are, but I'm pretty sure he's right at the top.

He is BRoy without the consistent jumper. Really starting to like that kid.
    Wut...?

B-Roy was also a better defender, a better athlete, could finish through contact, could score from anywhere on the floor, and he was TUFF. Goss is a PG, yet he has inferior handles to Brandon fucking Roy.

NWG is closer to Abdul Gaddy than B-Roy.

NWG had a good game, but JFC he ain't B-Roy. Not by a LONG shot.

Check ya self.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

NWG is one of the best PG's in the country. I don't know who all the best players in the Pac 12 are, but I'm pretty sure he's right at the top.

Wut...?

B-Roy was also a better defender, a better athlete, could finish through contact, could score from anywhere on the floor, and he was TUFF. Goss is a PG, yet he has inferior handles to Brandon fucking Roy.

Check ya self.
    You had an upvote before "NWG is closer to Abdul Gaddy than B-Roy."

Goss will never be the basketball player than Brandon Roy was as a senior. Hell, there might not be a player in college basketball who will ever be as good as Brandon Roy was as a senior.

But there's a pretty damn good argument that Goss is a better player than Roy was as a sophomore. I was about the biggest Gaddy apologist anywhere but Goss is already much better than Gaddy was at any point in his life.

• Options
    Founders Club
    edited December 2014

Wut...?

Check ya self.
    BRoy was one of the greatest college players of all time. No shit dude.

and get out of here with the Gaddy talk.
  • Options
    dnc said:

Wut...?

Check ya self.
    You had an upvote before "NWG is closer to Abdul Gaddy than B-Roy."

Goss will never be the basketball player than Brandon Roy was as a senior. Hell, there might not be a player in college basketball who will ever be as good as Brandon Roy was as a senior.

But there's a pretty damn good argument that Goss is a better player than Roy was as a sophomore. I was about the biggest Gaddy apologist anywhere but Goss is already much better than Gaddy was at any point in his life.

Obviously Goss is better than Gaddy. The comparison was made to show how far he is from B-Roy.

They're not even close.

Also B-Roy's senior year was basically his 2nd full season considering he missed most of freshman year and was hurt junior year.

If Goss stays all 4, we can revisit the comparison. But I doubt he will. And I doubt we would have to even if he did.

Goss would run and cry if Rudy Gay got in his face.
  • Options
    Gladstone said:

Wut...?

Check ya self.
    BRoy was one of the greatest college players of all time. No shit dude.

and get out of here with the Gaddy talk.
    I didn't make the B-Roy comparison. HTH
  • Options
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wut...?

Check ya self.
    You've been taking passive shots on NWG since before this season. Not a good enough athlete, blah, blah. Quit sleeping on him. He's going to be one of the best players in the Pac this year. Goss stuffs a stat sheet like B Roy. 14.7, 5.5, and 7.5. Obviously, he's not as good as senior B Roy, but they do have similar games.
  • Options

Wut...?

Check ya self.
    You've been taking passive shots on NWG since before this season. Not a good enough athlete, blah, blah. Quit sleeping on him. He's going to be one of the best players in the Pac this year. Goss stuffs a stat sheet like B Roy. 14.7, 5.5, and 7.5. Obviously, he's not as good as senior B Roy, but they do have similar games.
    NWG is a good player. I have nothing against him. However, I think the early NBA talk is laughable.

And the B-Roy comparisons are a joke. Lots of guys "stuff stats"...doesn't mean they play a similar game or project to be similar players. They don't even play the same fucking position. That comparison is not only lazy, it's flat out incorrect.

NWG is average in too many areas to have such a horrendous jump shot as a guard and expect to do anything at the next level.

I honestly think 4 years under Romar would do him a ton of good. He could improve his game, have a breakout senior year, and actually enter the NBA prepared to have a successful career. Certain guys have made the jump from one year to another. NWG looks basically the same as he did to end last year.

I think he's good enough to make that jump, but until he does, everyone (Irish) can stop sucking his dick and proclaiming him the next B-Roy. That's some doogin right there.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wut...?

Check ya self.
    NWG is a good player. I have nothing against him. However, I think the early NBA talk is laughable.

And the B-Roy comparisons are a joke. Lots of guys "stuff stats"...doesn't mean they play a similar game or project to be similar players. They don't even play the same fucking position. That comparison is not only lazy, it's flat out incorrect.

NWG is average in too many areas to have such a horrendous jump shot as a guard and expect to do anything at the next level.

I honestly think 4 years under Romar would do him a ton of good. He could improve his game, have a breakout senior year, and actually enter the NBA prepared to have a successful career. Certain guys have made the jump from one year to another. NWG looks basically the same as he did to end last year.

I think he's good enough to make that jump, but until he does, everyone (Irish) can stop sucking his dick and proclaiming him the next B-Roy. That's some doogin right there.
    It's really not. If he played for a legitimate program, he would be recognized. I've watched a lot of Kentucky the past two years. The Harrison twins get a lot of hype. NWG is at least as good as them. He is as good as Ennis from Syracuse last year. I don't think UW would be a better team with one of them instead of NWG.

When NWG played with Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton, Aaron Gordon, etc on the U19 team, he played a lot and played well. He's held his own against NBA players. There is plenty of evidence that shows this guy is pretty fucking good.

In the NBA, Goss will be a PG and Roy was a SG, but in the college game they were both lead guards. They are/were both counted on to make shit happen in the half court. Their positions (in college) aren't that much different.

He has a long way to go to be close to B Roy and he will never be as athletic, but there are similarities in their games.
  • Options

Wut...?

Check ya self.

It's really not. If he played for a legitimate program, he would be recognized. I've watched a lot of Kentucky the past two years. The Harrison twins get a lot of hype. NWG is at least as good as them. He is as good as Ennis from Syracuse last year. I don't think UW would be a better team with one of them instead of NWG.

When NWG played with Marcus Smart, Elfrid Payton, Aaron Gordon, etc on the U19 team, he played a lot and played well. He's held his own against NBA players. There is plenty of evidence that shows this guy is pretty fucking good.

In the NBA, Goss will be a PG and Roy was a SG, but in the college game they were both lead guards. They are/were both counted on to make shit happen in the half court. Their positions (in college) aren't that much different.

He has a long way to go to be close to B Roy and he will never be as athletic, but there are similarities in their games.
    Sigh...

NWG is a pass first PG with limited scoring ability.

B-Roy was a triple threat. Who could also play defense.

NWG "held his own" against a bunch of NBA prospects his age.

B-Roy dominated a league full of NBA talent.

Just stop.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Wut...?

Check ya self.

Sigh...

Just stop.
    You are taking it way to literal. Goss isn't close to as good as B Roy. We all know they have differences in their games. Lol that a guy who gets 13 as a freshman is a limited scorer.

Goss was one of three high school guys on the U19 team. They were older and he still chopped.
  • Options

Wut...?

Check ya self.

Sigh...

Just stop.
    You are taking it way to literal. Goss isn't close to as good as B Roy. We all know they have differences in their games. Lol that a guy who gets 13 as a freshman is a limited scorer.

Goss was one of three high school guys on the U19 team. They were older and he still chopped.
    If you had said that 3 posts ago instead of defending Irish's dumb ass position you could have saved us a lot of time.

Glad you agree. Sad it took you so long to realize it.
  • Options
    IrishDawg22IrishDawg22 Member Posts: 2,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    So. year stats:

NWG:

14.7 ppg
    7.5 apg
    5.5 rpg
    1.3 spg
    .78 ft%
    .20 3pt%

BRoy:

12.9 ppg
    3.3 apg
    5.3 rpg
    1.2 spg
    .78 ft%
    .40 3pt%

At this point in his career, he is as good as BRoy was as a SO. As DNC said, maybe nobody will ever be as good as Roy was his SR year.

And Freemont is just being fucking stupid if he thinks NWG is not a triple threat. Last year and this year's stat lines speak for themselves.

Plus Roaddawg is right about the positions. Captain Obvious knows that they would play different positions at the next level, but in his SR year BRoy handled the ball the majority of the time.

You also lost all credibility with the Gaddy comparison. NWG's frosh year blows away anything Abdul 5* Gaddy did for the Dawgs.

Right now it is fair to label NWG as BRoy Lite.