Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Where Does Mariota Rank All Time For Pac 10-12 QB's?

RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam
A Bleacher Report list has me thinking about it. I'm surprised this hasn't been talked about at all. Elway was obviously great, but didn't play on great teams. Leinart put up great numbers, but had loaded teams. Luck was really good but never won a Pac 12 title. Would a national title make Mariota the best QB of all time in the Pac?

Here is Bleacher Reports List.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1983868-power-ranking-the-10-best-qbs-in-pac-12-history

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,720
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    He's behind Hobart for sure. And Plunkett. And a million others that actually won something
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,476
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    If Mariota wins a natty he's the best and beats out Hobert because he would have dominated for a longer stretch of time.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I'd put him Top 3 in the grand scheme of things ...

The QBs that I really think about in the PAC as being great were Plummer, Leinart, and Luck. He's definitely in the discussion with Leinart and Luck and ahead of Plummer at this point.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2014
    He's already better than Hobert. Three years of great play and a Fiesta Bowl win is better than one full season on a national champion with the best defense in the country. If Hobert's career hadn't been ended prematurely, maybe he could be in the conversation.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dan Fouts was better and has the same number of championships
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Mariota has the same number of conference championships as Elway.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    How the fuck did Harbaugh not go the distance with Luck and that O-line? How did he lose to "i'm a man, i'm 40" Gundy?
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    As far as physical ability he is probably the best ever, for a career he'll never pass Leinart regardless of how this season ends.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    And Elway did more with less.

Hobart wasn't a system QB and has bigger balls than Mariota

• Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    Darron Thomas was a system QB. Marcus (ILTCHM) isn't. HTH
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,993
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

How the fuck did Harbaugh not go the distance with Luck and that O-line? How did he lose to "i'm a man, i'm 40" Gundy?

He didn't lose to Gundy; that was Shaw.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,235
    Founders Club
    what Tui accomplished considering his surrounding talent is as impressive as anybody mentioned.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    Oregon doesn't ask him to do a ton as a passer so it's difficult to compare him with other QB's like elway.
    He is in no way a system qb and I am not punishing him because he plays at Oregon, however it's difficult to compare
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,890
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Inner Doog coming out but he's a total system qb and he would not crack my top twenty with all the fucking great qb's this league has had. I'd probably put whOregon legends Fouts and Van Brocklin, Bledsoe, Terry Baker, Aikman, Elway, Hobert, Leinert, and Jake Plummer over him.
  • Options
    SevenElevenSevenEleven Member Posts: 318
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Just below Lockner
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

what Tui accomplished considering his surrounding talent is as impressive as anybody mentioned.

Without running the numbers, has someone really hashed out the "talent" of the 2000 team. It seems to be a common theme that they didn't have that much talent, but i feel like there were some pretty fucking athletic guys on that squad.

Off top, Anthony Vontoure was the most gifted dude I can remember. J. Stevens was a nightmare up the seem, Alexis was a frosh all-american and Hurst had some wiggle, Pharms was scary, Silvers and ward on the line went to the league, and I think Akbar did too.

Plus when tui got hurt a little known picket came in and filled in nicely aka depth. I don't know
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Doogles said:

Without running the numbers, has someone really hashed out the "talent" of the 2000 team. It seems to be a common theme that they didn't have that much talent, but i feel like there were some pretty fucking athletic guys on that squad.

Off top, Anthony Vontoure was the most gifted dude I can remember. J. Stevens was a nightmare up the seem, Alexis was a frosh all-american and Hurst had some wiggle, Pharms was scary, Silvers and ward on the line went to the league, and I think Akbar did too.

Plus when tui got hurt a little known picket came in and filled in nicely aka depth. I don't know
    Alexis might have had some accolades but he doesn't belong on a list of talent from that team. He was good because the line and Tui were great.

But I do agree that team's talent was better than most give it credit for. You didn't even mention Larry Tripplett. And Curtis Williams* was very good for half the season.

*If I can't troll Blackie at Apple Cup kickoff time, when can I troll him?
  • Options
    Mosster47Mosster47 Member Posts: 6,246
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Mariota has the highest TD:INT ratio in the history of college football. He's probably the only QB you could ever put on any team regardless of style and they'd probably get better, but never get worse.

Who else could do that?
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,845
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I'll take my chances with Tui.

Over everybody.