Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

A Tale of Two Programs

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,474 Founders Club

And I forgot, the striped yellow background appeals to the gays.

$75,000
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,519 Founders Club

Anyone who still calls Oregon the little brother in this relationship is a delusional Doog.

58-42-5!!!!!
    Curious if Oregon will ever pass the all-time series in our lifetime?
    I don't think so.

Five or six years ago, people thought $C would never experience 7-5 seasons (mostly SC fans). People thought it would take 10 more years to beat them. It happened in 2009.

No team is great for 10 years nowadays. Floriduh, THE Ohio State, Auburn (not really a perennial top 10 team, but a NC winner who now sucks) and Texass have all fallen to earth in the past few years. Expect it to happen in Eugene in the relatively near future.

Of course, there's the obligatory Sark is mediocre (which I agree with) and right now, they're obviously the superior program. But they aren't going to win 16 more in a row, or 16 or 18. It just won't happen.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,371 Founders Club
  • trackertracker Member Posts: 866

Anyone who still calls Oregon the little brother in this relationship is a delusional Doog.

58-42-5!!!!!
    As long as you live until 2029, you'll probably see it happen.
    I hear the wheelchair section in the Rose Bowl is great.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    tracker said:

58-42-5!!!!!
    As long as you live until 2029, you'll probably see it happen.
    I hear the wheelchair section in the Rose Bowl is great.
    Puppy steele? True?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

58-42-5!!!!!
    I don't think so.

Five or six years ago, people thought $C would never experience 7-5 seasons (mostly SC fans). People thought it would take 10 more years to beat them. It happened in 2009.

No team is great for 10 years nowadays. Floriduh, THE Ohio State, Auburn (not really a perennial top 10 team, but a NC winner who now sucks) and Texass have all fallen to earth in the past few years. Expect it to happen in Eugene in the relatively near future.

Of course, there's the obligatory Sark is mediocre (which I agree with) and right now, they're obviously the superior program. But they aren't going to win 16 more in a row, or 16 or 18. It just won't happen.
    In 2008 if someone had told me UW would beat USC the next two years there is no way I'd ever believe it. So I understand things change in a hurry.

Who knows? Maybe Helfrich is a dud and after this year UW replaces Sark with a big time coach.

I just can't believe UW is on the verge of losing 10 straight to Oregon and possible eight straight to ASU.

58-42-5!!!!!
    I don't think so.

In 2008 if someone had told me UW would beat USC the next two years there is no way I'd ever believe it. So I understand things change in a hurry.

Who knows? Maybe Helfrich is a dud and after this year UW replaces Sark with a big time coach.

I just can't believe UW is on the verge of losing 10 straight to Oregon and possible eight straight to ASU.
    Denial can be a very powerful self-defense mechanism.

:)

tracker said:

58-42-5!!!!!
    I don't think so.

What am I denying? Did you ever believe Oregon would go an entire decade of beating Washington? Then add to that ASU win 8 in a row against Washington when let's face it ASU has been pretty average this past decade themselves.
  • Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,167
    I just showed Crazy Larry to my wife. She said he looks like he is a Husky fan who lives in his parents' basement and took a picture of himself. Crazy Larry is one of us.
    Mad_Son said:

I just showed Crazy Larry to my wife. She said he looks like he is a Husky fan who lives in his parents' basement and took a picture of himself. Crazy Larry is one of us.

I'm curious where they found that guy? Then whose idea was it to make him the face of our program?
  • Mad_Son said:

But can he even see his boner in his sweatpants?

tracker said:

58-42-5!!!!!
    I don't think so.

What am I denying? Did you ever believe Oregon would go an entire decade of beating Washington? Then add to that ASU win 8 in a row against Washington when let's face it ASU has been pretty average this past decade themselves.
    "Who knows. . .maybe" is a statement of denial. . .think it through.

That statement was also directed at folks who can't seem to grasp that the college football landscape has changed. Let's face it, Oregon is here to stay. They have the university's administration backing the program, unlimited financial support, a solid fanbase, they play fun football that lights-up a TV screen, great marketing, etc, etc. . .they aren't going anywhere.

I doubt Helfrich will be a "dud". I doubt the UW will invest in a big-time coach. The possibility of Oregon going out and getting a big-time coach if they need one is far greater than ours.

Did I believe that Oregon would beat us ten years in a row? Given that our program has been a clusterfuck for almost twenty years now. . .it doesn't surprise me. I don't see us beating Oregon for at least 2-3 more years. . .and that will only happen if Sark figures out he needs to get quality linemen into the program on a yearly basis.

BTW, who really cares what the overall W-L record is?
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,279 Founders Club
    tracker said:

tracker said:

58-42-5!!!!!
    I don't think so.

"Who knows. . .maybe" is a statement of denial. . .think it through.

That statement was also directed at folks who can't seem to grasp that the college football landscape has changed. Let's face it, Oregon is here to stay. They have the university's administration backing the program, unlimited financial support, a solid fanbase, they play fun football that lights-up a TV screen, great marketing, etc, etc. . .they aren't going anywhere.

I doubt Helfrich will be a "dud". I doubt the UW will invest in a big-time coach. The possibility of Oregon going out and getting a big-time coach if they need one is far greater than ours.

Did I believe that Oregon would beat us ten years in a row? Given that our program has been a clusterfuck for almost twenty years now. . .it doesn't surprise me. I don't see us beating Oregon for at least 2-3 more years. . .and that will only happen if Sark figures out he needs to get quality linemen into the program on a yearly basis.

BTW, who really cares what the overall W-L record is?

"Who knows . . . maybe" isn't necessarily denial, it could be hedging.

As far as Helfrich is concerned, it doesn't really matter if he's a dud or not. The team is good enough to mask that for awhile, but If he turns out to be Larry Coker v2.0, Phil will not wait as long as Donna did to pull the trigger, and Phil's decision regarding the replacement hire will be based solely on performance. The key to long term success for any program is a combination of administrative and financial support, coupled with high expectations. Oregon has those things, and there is no reason to expect they will change anytime soon.

However, worrying about Oregon or how the college football "landscape has changed" is doogish at best and outright defeatist at worst. There is no reason that Washington cannot again compete at the highest level. The number one current issue for them is competence. We'll see what happens this year. I'm predicting another disappointing season, but I agree with Stewart Mandel and coacheshotseat.com, Sark's seat is already getting hot. Another seven win season and I believe he will be replaced. The problem then becomes Woody. He will again have an open check book, but this time no friggin 0-12, crappy facilities, you have no idea how much damage _________ did, .... take your pick of lame excuses. He will probably whiff the hire, but that hopey changey thing got a vapid empty suit elected president, maybe (hedging not denying) Woody the blind squirrel finds an acorn this time.
    Things change so quickly in college football based on coaching. If UW lucks into the right coach they'll soon quickly be back again.

Just like Oregon can easily go back to what they were under Bellotti. Also Knight despite his deep pockets has yet to show the ability to land a big coach. Every football coach has been an OC who was promoted.

For basketball remember they fired Kent and had this nation wide search where they were rumored to bring in big names like Pitino but had to settle on Altmon(good coach btw) who in 20+ years had one career NCAA tournament win.
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389

Surprises can happen at anytime. I was never more surprised than by the 2000 Husky team that eked out that 11-1 record and Rose Bowl win. I don't expect it anytime in my remaining lifetime, but that's (duh) the nature of surprises.

Think about this: I have two grandsons now in college who have always been avid fans of Husky Football. Neither remember much of anything about when our team was good enough to achieve a double-digit win season, much less go to a Rose Bowl. They do both remember a lot about good tailgate food and beverage and for that I'm thankful. Should I be concerned about grandsons who can remain fanatical about a doogloser UW football program that has accomplished so little?

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    Mad_Son said:

so now you refer to your mom as your wife?
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    if the future was yesterday, what the fuck is tomorrow?
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    TheGlove said:

Saturday.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

TheGlove said:

Saturday.
    Sunday's yesterday.

Simple fact.

• BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346

TheGlove said:

Saturday.
    tomorrow you'll be wrong.