Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dumb and Dumber

2»

Comments

• Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    It would be tolerable if they were losing because the other team made a few more plays. However, it seems as if they're losing because certain key players are not getting better, as well as a few incredibly questionable coaching moves. The team is competing, but it almost appears more in spite of the coaches than because of them.
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 598
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    As it relates to the plays at the 1:20-1:30 mark I think an astute coach would insert some context about the game to that point -- we had already fumbled 5 times at that point, we have a QB who is spooked by the slightest of things and a C who can't can't consistently shotgun snap all year. Maybe normally you wouldn't want to have to punt on 4th down with only 15 seconds left (if my math is right) but with this team and this game I think you would have had to consider this. I'm guessing this is why their chart had that mysterious first down they needed -- to avoid that last 15- 20 seconds.

There is zero way to defend not calling timeout on 4th down with 30 seconds, though -- if we really wanted to nit pick we could have burned two timeouts and had 40-45 seconds left, actually. If Rich Rod was really nervous about a 47 yard field goal, he would have immediately gone for it on 4th and 6 regardless of any timeout, they had plenty of time to run another hurry up play. Justifying letting the last 30 seconds burn off with "well, Miles wouldn't have done anything" and "no one returned a kickoff very far today" is pretty defeatist kind of bullshit.

It's so defeatist, in fact, it kinda makes me wonder on these two decisions that he was basically making it clear to the team that he wasn't going to bail them out from their turnover and penalty happy play by either minimizing risk in the first part (kneeling vs. running the ball), and not working hard to get the offense another chance at the end of the game given they had already fumbled with an opportunity to close out the game. Might be conspiracy theory, and even if I'm right, I'm not sure I think it's a 100% net positive for the program longer-term, but just another thought.