Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Sark's number five!!!

2»

Comments

• Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    If you gloss over a Rose Bowl win in your lame ass comparison between Sark and James, you deserve 0-1200.

Die in a fucking fire Global.
  • Options
    DeLarryDeLarry Member Posts: 230
    Testing 1 First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Yeah, but how many Vegas bowl appearances did Don James have? Zero. BARK
  • Options
    purplehazepurplehaze Member Posts: 20
    5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited December 2012

If you gloss over a Rose Bowl win in your lame ass comparison between Sark and James, you deserve 0-1200.

Ummm. He did specifically note the Rose Bowl win actually. See line 5.
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Good eye, Haze. Yes, I said: "He went 8-4 and 7-4 the following two years, including of course that first Rose Bowl game."

The Dawgs went to the Rose Bowl in 77-78 as a 7-4 team that had struggled early in the year, and that season was pivotal in Don James career. They lost some games early and the fans were rumbling. They were 1-3, having beaten only San Jose State. Imagine if we had internet fan sites in those days. :)

But the team turned it around in an epic win over Oregon, and went 6-1 in conference to represent the PAC-8 in the Rose Bowl, losing only to UCLA (which later had to forfeit the game due an ineligible player).

I remember that game so well. I was still an undergrad then. One of my profs was a very proud Michigan grad. I remember sneaking into class early on the first day back to classes after the Rose Bowl game, and writing in large print on the blackboard: 27-20. :)
  • Options

Ummm. He did specifically note the Rose Bowl win actually. See line 5.
    He mentioned it in passing, hence the glossing over comment.

• Options
    BAMAdawg10BAMAdawg10 Member Posts: 145
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

Alright guys, knock it off.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,173
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

You want to answer my phone?
  • Options
    purplehazepurplehaze Member Posts: 20
    5 Up Votes First Comment

With all due respect, what I see here is one person making a post on the topic, and another person making a personal attack. It is clear which one should "knock it off".

• Options

With all due respect, what I see here is one person making a post on the topic, and another person making a personal attack. It is clear which one should "knock it off".

I'm waiting for Global to apologize for sticking to the topic instead of making a cheap personal attack.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Global said:

Well, even DJ got leeway in his first few years. He was almost fired actually, and doubtless some UW fans today would have shown him the door after he went 6-5 and then 5-6 after the first two years, inheriting a team much better than our dreadful 0-12 team. He went 8-4 and 7-4 the following two years, including of course that first Rose Bowl game. So he was 26-19 after four years. Sark is 26-24 after four years. Those are the numbers.
    Like I have said, I am not a Sark fan, though I resolutely resist the notion that UW is bound to a coaching carousel because fans have expectations built around 1991 rather than the reality of a full career under Don James -- which I fully agree should be the benchmark. Far too many fans talk only about national championships and Rose Bowls, and forget that the average UW record under DJ was 8 or 9 wins. DJ had only seven seasons out of 18 that were 10 or more wins. When I say "only", that is pretty amazing, but too many Dawg fans seem to think 10 win seasons should be automatic for us.
    But to be clear, if Sark does not clear out Cozzetto and as a result cannot deliver minimum 8-9 wins next year, I would thank him for getting us out of the mess we were in, and find someone who can take us to the next level. Sark has had four years now of learning how to be a head coach. He has four years of his own recruits, trained them in his system, and has changed up his staff according to his best judgment. Now we will see with a better 2013 schedule how that team and set of coaches performs.

Don James also made and won a Rose Bowl by his 4th year.
    Actually, it was his third year. 1977 season.

You are correct sir and I did know that but I was giving Sark some leeway considering he hadn't made the Rose Bowl at the end of his third year nor by the end of his fourth year.

Good day sir.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    Founders Club

I'm waiting for Global to apologize for sticking to the topic instead of making a cheap personal attack.
    It's classy posts like this that make me enjoy paying $110 each year for my subscription.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,922
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Global said:

Well, even DJ got leeway in his first few years. He was almost fired actually, and doubtless some UW fans today would have shown him the door after he went 6-5 and then 5-6 after the first two years, inheriting a team much better than our dreadful 0-12 team. He went 8-4 and 7-4 the following two years, including of course that first Rose Bowl game. So he was 26-19 after four years. Sark is 26-24 after four years. Those are the numbers.
    Like I have said, I am not a Sark fan, though I resolutely resist the notion that UW is bound to a coaching carousel because fans have expectations built around 1991 rather than the reality of a full career under Don James -- which I fully agree should be the benchmark. Far too many fans talk only about national championships and Rose Bowls, and forget that the average UW record under DJ was 8 or 9 wins. DJ had only seven seasons out of 18 that were 10 or more wins. When I say "only", that is pretty amazing, but too many Dawg fans seem to think 10 win seasons should be automatic for us.
    But to be clear, if Sark does not clear out Cozzetto and as a result cannot deliver minimum 8-9 wins next year, I would thank him for getting us out of the mess we were in, and find someone who can take us to the next level. Sark has had four years now of learning how to be a head coach. He has four years of his own recruits, trained them in his system, and has changed up his staff according to his best judgment. Now we will see with a better 2013 schedule how that team and set of coaches performs.

Actually, it was his third year. 1977 season.

You are correct sir and I did know that but I was giving Sark some leeway considering he hadn't made the Rose Bowl at the end of his third year nor by the end of his fourth year.

Good day sir.

I said, GOOD DAY!
  • Options

It's classy posts like this that make me enjoy paying $110 each year for my subscription.

You've always been one of my favorite classy posters, right up there with krisvashon.
  • Options
    GlobalGlobal Member Posts: 333
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

Global said:

Well, even DJ got leeway in his first few years. He was almost fired actually, and doubtless some UW fans today would have shown him the door after he went 6-5 and then 5-6 after the first two years, inheriting a team much better than our dreadful 0-12 team. He went 8-4 and 7-4 the following two years, including of course that first Rose Bowl game.

Yes, I had mentioned it, as you can see, but it was in the midst of a longer comment. It was the third year, but that makes it even more impressive in retrospect.

• Options
    Global said:

Global said:

Well, even DJ got leeway in his first few years. He was almost fired actually, and doubtless some UW fans today would have shown him the door after he went 6-5 and then 5-6 after the first two years, inheriting a team much better than our dreadful 0-12 team. He went 8-4 and 7-4 the following two years, including of course that first Rose Bowl game.

Yes, I had mentioned it, as you can see, but it was in the midst of a longer comment. It was the third year, but that makes it even more impressive in retrospect.

Apology accepted.
  • Options
    Founders Club

You've always been one of my favorite classy posters, right up there with krisvashon.
    Thanks. It means a lot to me to know my work is appreciated and even better coming from a classy poster like yourself.

• Options
    Founders Club
    Global said:

Global said:

I did see that and I do know it was his 3rd year, the point is that it's disrepectful to compare 7 Win Steve to Don James. 7 Win Steve hasn't won shit yet and I doubt he ever will get to more than 8-9 wins as a high point.

• Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,180
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

tdawg said:

Get over jimmy mora, he is not our coach and won't be.

Get over the fact that I will periodically mention Jimmy Mora.

lulz.