Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

We is smart.

Comments

• creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,994
    haie said:

haie said:

In your typical Washington 3A high school, ~20 kids, whose grades range from C average to A average, will go to WSU/Western/Eastern (mostly Wazzu). Some kids who are 4.0 students will choose to go to Wazzu because they will most likely get a big scholarship. Only about 5-10 kids at the most will go to UW, and they will either have perfect grades, or mediocre grades but great SAT scores. The most butthurt kids of all are the ones who were A/B students but didn't participate in anything and get rejected to go to UW. They become the biggest Cuogs of all, along with the A students who "NEVER APPLIED TO UW BECAUSE UW FUCKING SUCKS AND IS OVERRATED" because their parents are Wazzu alumni and forbid them to.

That might illustrate where UW is as a school in this region.

In terms of the region, there is no doubt ... UW is the school among large universities. The academic talent pool is a lot deeper at a place like Whitman, but that's apples and assholes.

Speaking of assholes - notwithstanding TexasTony's rejection-fueled rants on Middlebury Bob's choice of schooling, the high end LACs are a completely different animal (and by "different" I mean generally better) because there are simply ZERO kids at your college - in any class - who don't meet the following two descriptions: (1) very, very smart and accomplished, took very hard courses in high school and generally have the academic goods; and (2) are working their asses off all the time and take their shit seriously.

The thing that happens in small schools full of smart kids is that it forces the issue. There is no place to hide, and they don't have easy courses and if you don't belong there it shows right away and you blow up.

At UW back in the day, if you weren't smart enough to get through, say, QM 201 (pre-req. stats classs for the biz school), you could satisfy it in 50 other (and easier) ways, including this eeezy, peezy japaneezy Social Stats class taught in the Sosh department. Every dumb fucking girl I knew who couldn't handle QM 201 took THAT class and 4.0'd it. That class does not exist at Whitman, nor do the students who need it.

The only way you get away from that at the big publics are the ones that are so overwhelmed with applications (UCLA and Berkeley and Virginia mostly) that you can legitimately infer that the dipshit factor is negligible (sans the athletes of course - let's not forget that Marshawn Lynch is a Berkeley man)
    I agree that UW is somewhat overrated, most of the students there (at least in my experience) thought they were smart simply because they were a UW undergrad, and that UW has nothing to say to schools like Virginia. At UW one can take some easy A classes to pad their gpa's (hell I did that a quarter or two). But I just like to be a myopic douchebag and compare UW to all the other public schools in the Northwest.

One opinion I have that probably won't be popular is that in my department at UW, the non-white kids were constantly paraded around by the faculty for graduating with a 3.2 and were from south Seattle, whereas white students like myself who were 3.8+ graduates with honors were seen by the faculty as "Well of course you did this, you have so much more privilege than these other kids." Fuck that.
    yeah, it was a pretty PC place when I was there; but then again, that's academia. I would have liked to have been there when I-200 (the "no affirmative action" initiative) was passed just to watch all the profs jump out of their office windows.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    haie said:

haie said:

In your typical Washington 3A high school, ~20 kids, whose grades range from C average to A average, will go to WSU/Western/Eastern (mostly Wazzu). Some kids who are 4.0 students will choose to go to Wazzu because they will most likely get a big scholarship. Only about 5-10 kids at the most will go to UW, and they will either have perfect grades, or mediocre grades but great SAT scores. The most butthurt kids of all are the ones who were A/B students but didn't participate in anything and get rejected to go to UW. They become the biggest Cuogs of all, along with the A students who "NEVER APPLIED TO UW BECAUSE UW FUCKING SUCKS AND IS OVERRATED" because their parents are Wazzu alumni and forbid them to.

That might illustrate where UW is as a school in this region.

In terms of the region, there is no doubt ... UW is the school among large universities. The academic talent pool is a lot deeper at a place like Whitman, but that's apples and assholes.

Speaking of assholes - notwithstanding TexasTony's rejection-fueled rants on Middlebury Bob's choice of schooling, the high end LACs are a completely different animal (and by "different" I mean generally better) because there are simply ZERO kids at your college - in any class - who don't meet the following two descriptions: (1) very, very smart and accomplished, took very hard courses in high school and generally have the academic goods; and (2) are working their asses off all the time and take their shit seriously.

The thing that happens in small schools full of smart kids is that it forces the issue. There is no place to hide, and they don't have easy courses and if you don't belong there it shows right away and you blow up.

At UW back in the day, if you weren't smart enough to get through, say, QM 201 (pre-req. stats classs for the biz school), you could satisfy it in 50 other (and easier) ways, including this eeezy, peezy japaneezy Social Stats class taught in the Sosh department. Every dumb fucking girl I knew who couldn't handle QM 201 took THAT class and 4.0'd it. That class does not exist at Whitman, nor do the students who need it.

The only way you get away from that at the big publics are the ones that are so overwhelmed with applications (UCLA and Berkeley and Virginia mostly) that you can legitimately infer that the dipshit factor is negligible (sans the athletes of course - let's not forget that Marshawn Lynch is a Berkeley man)
    I agree that UW is somewhat overrated, most of the students there (at least in my experience) thought they were smart simply because they were a UW undergrad, and that UW has nothing to say to schools like Virginia. At UW one can take some easy A classes to pad their gpa's (hell I did that a quarter or two). But I just like to be a myopic douchebag and compare UW to all the other public schools in the Northwest.

One opinion I have that probably won't be popular is that in my department at UW, the non-white kids were constantly paraded around by the faculty for graduating with a 3.2 and were from south Seattle, whereas white students like myself who were 3.8+ graduates with honors were seen by the faculty as "Well of course you did this, you have so much more privilege than these other kids." Fuck that.
    Be a 4.0 white student from south seattle, then pop off.
    edited October 2014

Using undergrad quality to approximate the quality of a University is SunnyDodgetFS.

The end.

Dennis you ignorant slut.

While I've always had a bit of man-crush on you, and though your voice singing "Babe" plays in my head whenever I recall my first experience playing stink finger, you're out to lunch on this one.

Undergrad quality is key, and in terms of ranking them, among the most important. Fortunately, US News has come up with a ranking that focuses on other things. This will confuse the living shit out of 85% of the people out there, but it is what it is.

In terms of the quality of your education as an undergrad and even as a grad student, it really does matter.

The more smart people there are there, the better.

I have 3 pretend degrees from UW, but there's no doubt in my mind I would have had a better education if I had studied Econ. and Philosophy at Whitman as opposed to Finance and Philosophy at UW.

Doesn't matter now. I'm a pretend big shot lawyer now. Look at me!
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,664 Standard Supporter

The funny thing is, you actually believe the bullshit you just wrote.

I take it you went to Central.
    You'd piss all over yourself to have my degrees.

edited October 2014

sure I would. super duper contribution. time to tuck your little cock back into your twat hole.

faggot.

you forgot to switch handles Mike.

sure I would. super duper contribution. time to tuck your little cock back into your twat hole.

faggot.

Such homophobic slurs would not be tolerated at your beloved LAC's. I mean, they would, but just among the homos themselves.

^^^Enjoy the alumni meeting.^^^

edited October 2014

faggot.

Such homophobic slurs would not be tolerated at your beloved LAC's. I mean, they would, but just among the homos themselves.

^^^Enjoy the alumni meeting.^^^

is there a particular reason that you are so wounded by my comments concerning LACs?

I didn't attend one, so it's not like I really give a fuck.

But there is a reason, and a very good reason, why, when Harvard _________ school gets an application from both a UW kid with a Political Science degree and a 3.5 GPA and a Bowdoin College kid with a Government degree and a 3.1 GPA, that the Bowdoin kid will get the spot first 99/100 times.

That's the deal. You might not like it, but nobody gives a fuck what you do or don't like. It is what it is.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

faggot.

Huh?
    edited October 2014

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

the "you'd piss yourself" line gave you away.

fuck stick.

besides, i'm surprised you aren't all over this. there are no public LACs, and I know how you feel about government-sponsored anything.

free market. you get what you pay for. private > public. the market determines the relative value of goods and services, and the market speaks only truth and fact. and all that.

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

besides, i'm surprised you aren't all over this. there are no public LACs, and I know how you feel about government-sponsored anything.

free market. you get what you pay for. private > public. the market determines the relative value of goods and services, and the market speaks only truth and fact. and all that.
    But you didn't invent that.
    edited October 2014

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

HRYK*

*edit - he didn't invent that either.

edited October 2014

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

The "you'd piss youself" line is Harvey's. Dumbshit. And I don't really even know what you guys are really even talking about. I didn't go to UW (although I've paid for others to go there) So I don't give a fuck. I just happened to read a couple of your posts and thought they were stupid and down voted them. But you don't care about downvotes. If you think I'm purple throbber you're not paying attention, or a fucking dumbshit. Or abundance. Staff?

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

the fuck I didn't.
    edited October 2014

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

The "you'd piss youself" line is Harvey's. Dumbshit. And I don't really even know what you guys are really even talking about. I didn't go to UW (although I've paid for others to go there) So I don't give a fuck. I just happened to read a couple of your posts and thought they were stupid and down voted them. But you don't care about downvotes. If you think I'm purple throbber you're not paying attention, or a fucking dumbshit. Or abundance. Staff?
    sorry. Harvey may use it, but that, like a lot of shit here, is mine. yeah, I invented "piss all over yourself" too. deal with it fuktard.

fuck - even the "I don't even know what you guys are talking about but I still have this brilliant comment" routine ... yeah, I invented that too.

i'm not the one who uses the fucking buttons like it's a cash machine fuck lips. that would be you.

other than choking on your own cock, do you have any of your own material?

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

HSFRYK

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

sorry. Harvey may use it, but that, like a lot of shit here, is mine. yeah, I invented "piss all over yourself" too. deal with it fuktard.

fuck - even the "I don't even know what you guys are talking about but I still have this brilliant comment" routine ... yeah, I invented that too.

i'm not the one who uses the fucking buttons like it's a cash machine fuck lips. that would be you.

Christ. Pressing and embarrassing. Abundance.

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

Christ. I was going to say the very same thing, but of course you always beat me to the obvious.

One of these days I'm going to meet you on Aurora with Paul Heyne and make you swallow his dick.

faggot.

Huh?
    FYFMFE

fuck stick.

Christ. I was going to say the very same thing, but of course you always beat me to the obvious.

One of these days I'm going to meet you on Aurora with Paul Heyne and make you swallow his dick.
    Heyne from Kane? That simpleton wouldn't be worthy of licking my bleached starfish.