Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

serious football question

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,572
5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
Standard Supporter
I have seen Boise State ranked from 15 to 20. Dawgs are ranked around 45.

Is the Boise State game a lock? I'm hearing 4-0 before the plunger comes out of the closet.

Is Boise State good? We know they have a better coach but uw will have a new stadium. I guess the offense is solid, oline issues though and young corners?

Does UW win rather easily say 35-17?

Sark cannot lose that game, he cant afford to sit ASJ.

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    everybody assumes we're gonna win because we're easily a top 15 team at home, our constant crap on the road is why we're gonna win 7 games.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    kind of a mute point since we'll end up at 7 wins and qualify for one of the prestigious 64 bowl slots.
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited July 2013
    dhdawg said:

we're easily a top 15 team at home

"lol"
  • Options
    Steve_BowmanSteve_Bowman Member Posts: 442
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Testing 1
    edited July 2013
    I don't know if Boise is good or not, but I do know at the end of the year they'll be a better team than the Dawgs.

We should win the game: at home, new stadium, probably better talent if the truth be know, etc but this is Cream Puff's team. Anything could happen. I'll always pick the team that has good coaching and is tough, physical year in and year out, even if the talent is not always the best. That team is Boise.

The Dawgs have terrible coaching, are bubble bath soft year in and year out, and are highly skilled at snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. My pick is Boise State.
  • Options
    trackertracker Member Posts: 866
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment Photogenic

The opener with Boise is just a stepping stone to the New Mexico Bowl.

"Woof"
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    I feel like the Huskies will win the Boise game. For Sark to maintain being an average coach he needs to win a few games against decent teams to set up the fact he'll blow one or two games we have no business losing.

Anyways it doesn't matter as the season is already over.
  • Options
    LocalKineBroncoLocalKineBronco Member Posts: 32
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    edited July 2013
    LOL Not a ton of confidence in this thread........you're not alone, very few Bronco fans expect to win this game, hell some think we might get smashed.....which is kind of bizarre, considering we beat UW in December minus our best player. I honestly don't know what to expect. Both teams assume certain positions will improve (O-Line for UW, QB/RB/Run blocking for BSU, etc.)....will that be the case? Not sure. I personally don't think we win, but making a prediction seems impossible. So many unknown factors. I do think a lot weighs on whether ASJ plays or not.....which I bet we won't know until game time.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

LOL Not a ton of confidence in this thread........you're not alone, very few Bronco fans expect to win this game, hell some think we might get smashed.....which is kind of bizarre, considering we beat UW in December minus our best player. I honestly don't know what to expect. Both teams assume certain positions will improve (O-Line for UW, QB/RB/Run blocking for BSU, etc.)....will that be the case? Not sure. I personally don't think we win, but making a prediction seems impossible. So many unknown factors. I do think a lot weighs on whether ASJ plays or not.....which I bet we won't know until game time.

There was a website, maybe Football Outsiders that had UW ranked in the top 15 at home and like 60th on the road.

No disrespect to Boise who is extremely well-coached and disciplined- the parallel opposite of UW, but frankly its a middle of the road game on the schedule. Even though Boise's best player will play, UW returns more talent on paper, UW had more talent last year, UW is much tougher at home and most important- its the first game of the season which benefits UW more because it has more experience returning and the coaching advantage for Peterson would be smallest at the start of the year (I.e. His cumulative impact in week 12 would be far greater than in week 1).

UW will win by 10 or 14 and it won't tell us jack shit about the season, though I fully expect local and even national media will make a big deal out of it. Then we'll struggle to beat Illinois which will remind us how mediocre we are.

I think ASJ is suspended for a half or quarter...or maybe even just a series or two. Sark is not going to risk it much.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,951
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

There was a website, maybe Football Outsiders that had UW ranked in the top 15 at home and like 60th on the road.

No disrespect to Boise who is extremely well-coached and disciplined- the parallel opposite of UW, but frankly its a middle of the road game on the schedule. Even though Boise's best player will play, UW returns more talent on paper, UW had more talent last year, UW is much tougher at home and most important- its the first game of the season which benefits UW more because it has more experience returning and the coaching advantage for Peterson would be smallest at the start of the year (I.e. His cumulative impact in week 12 would be far greater than in week 1).

UW will win by 10 or 14 and it won't tell us jack shit about the season, though I fully expect local and even national media will make a big deal out of it. Then we'll struggle to beat Illinois which will remind us how mediocre we are.

I think ASJ is suspended for a half or quarter...or maybe even just a series or two. Sark is not going to risk it much.
    Actually, the ASJ punishment will be a good barometer for how secure Sark feels about his job status.
  • Options
    LocalKineBroncoLocalKineBronco Member Posts: 32

Can't really disagree with much of that. Coach Pete's teams typically hit the ground running, but this particular group has yet to prove they can replicate their predecessors. I would be more confident if Southwick hadn't been so average last season. ASJ's status will be critical.....but it will take a serious turnaround in the off-season from this Southwick-led team to win in Seattle. I think we'll return to our Top-15 level in 2014....we're recruiting very well, but this current team still feels very "transitional". I could be proven wrong, but Southwick doesn't breed much confidence in fans.
  • Options
    HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

UWs OL wont improve, the recruiting and coaching has never been there for improvement.

The mostly likely place for continued improvement for UW would be defense. We actually have a pretty great front 7 on defense, our set of LBs is the best UW has had in awhile, Shelton (DT/NG) is still a beast and only needs a little bit of help from the rest of the DL. The secondary is somewhat unknown but definitely has the talent necessary.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited July 2013
    Houhusky said:

UWs OL wont improve, the recruiting and coaching has never been there for improvement.

The mostly likely place for continued improvement for UW would be defense. We actually have a pretty great front 7 on defense, our set of LBs is the best UW has had in awhile, Shelton (DT/NG) is still a beast and only needs a little bit of help from the rest of the DL. The secondary is somewhat unknown but definitely has the talent necessary.

I don't see how the OL won't improve, although they will still be a below average unit compared to the other teams in the conference.

I disagree with you about the DL. They are far from great. We have no DT's that are even average Pac 12 players after Shelton. If Shelton goes down, the DL becomes one of the worst in the conference. It's too bad the coaches basically wasted two years of Tokalahi's eligibility (2009, 2011). While he was not a star, we sure could use him this year. The one guy who I am curious about is Josh Banks. He made some plays against Stanford, but got hurt shortly after and didn't do much the rest of the season. He might be our best chance at having another solid DT.

Andrew Hudson is a solid player, but he is too small to play DE in the 3-4. However because we don't have many quality guys, he has to out of necessity. Shirley is a good pass rusher, but is basically useless in stopping the run. Once again, because we don't have enough quality guys, he is forced to play in situations where he ideally should not be playing.

The rest of the guys on the DL either suck (Potoae, Tupou, Finau) or are young with little or no experience (Pio V, Littleton, Cree, Turpin, the 3 incoming FR). Getting Jamora back would be great, but who knows what to expect after two ACL tears. Even if he comes back, will he be any good?

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Agree about the D line. Outside of Shelton they are not very good. The dogboy hype about Shirley I don't get. He is a subpar pass rusher and poor at run blocking. He's too small for a line position and the strength is questionable.

Another coaching issue. Is Ivan any good? If so, where's the beef?
  • Options
    SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,234
    Founders Club
    Lack of a consistent pass rush and lack of pass protection sum up the Huskies lines. This program won't turn the corner until it has a coach running things who is serious about recruiting and developing positions along both lines.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Lack of a consistent pass rush and lack of pass protection sum up the Huskies lines. This program won't turn the corner until it has a coach running things who is serious about recruiting and developing positions along both lines.

Exactly. No matter how the schemes and style of play change, football is still the same game. Win the line of scrimmage, win the turnover battle, and you will win almost every game. Until we are consistently the tougher team up front, we will be stuck in mediocrity.

• Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Boise St is the most prepared team in college football coming out of fall camp. Sark and UW are one of the lease prepared college football teams coming out of fall camp. take the points, bet the farm and retire early. Petersen is arguably the BEST coach in America next to Saban. Sark is arguably the worst coach in America...Who do you think is going to win? Sark, but ONLY because of the crowd. BSU will win in Las Vegas though

On a neutral field BSU wins. In husky stadium UW will roll.
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Amen to Road and Southern Dawgs! Football is all about the lines.

Skill players mean very little without good/great lines. I was laughed off Dogboy when I suggested we recruit 5 - 8 offensive linemen this year and at least 5 in 2015, or keep loading up until the problem is fixed. We keep wasting rides on wideouts. Why? Until we can pound it outside and inside with the running game and our D line can blow up opponents offensive lines we don't need one more wideout.

This is basic highschool football. Cream Puff is one stupid ass mo fo not to understand this.

(When seem to be at least recruiting numbers on the defensive side. We'll see if we have the coaching talent to develop them.)
  • Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    jecornel said:

I have seen Boise State ranked from 15 to 20. Dawgs are ranked around 45.

Is the Boise State game a lock? I'm hearing 4-0 before the plunger comes out of the closet.

Is Boise State good? We know they have a better coach but uw will have a new stadium. I guess the offense is solid, oline issues though and young corners?

Does UW win rather easily say 35-17?

Sark cannot lose that game, he cant afford to sit ASJ.

• Options
    TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    The new stadium will score at minimum 14 points which together with the 7 points typically assumed for home field advantage, we should have a 21point handicap before the Huskies leave their new locker-room to storm out of the new Tunnel onto the new fieldturf. that should be more than a genius such as Peterson can overcome in a season opener on the road....... providing Sark's new duck wannabe offense can either add to the Huskies' scoreboard or keep from giving points to the mediocre-by-size Broncos.
  • Options
    puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    Boise St is the most prepared team in college football coming out of fall camp. Sark and UW are one of the lease prepared college football teams coming out of fall camp. take the points, bet the farm and retire early. Petersen is arguably the BEST coach in America next to Saban. Sark is arguably the worst coach in America...Who do you think is going to win? Sark, but ONLY because of the crowd. BSU will win in Las Vegas though

On a neutral field BSU wins. In husky stadium UW will roll.

Skill players mean very little without good/great lines. I was laughed off Dogboy when I suggested we recruit 5 - 8 offensive linemen this year and at least 5 in 2015, or keep loading up until the problem is fixed. We keep wasting rides on wideouts. Why? Until we can pound it outside and inside with the running game and our D line can blow up opponents offensive lines we don't need one more wideout.

This is basic highschool football. Cream Puff is one stupid ass mo fo not to understand this.

(When seem to be at least recruiting numbers on the defensive side. We'll see if we have the coaching talent to develop them.)

Listen' I got laughed off dogboy for suggesting they keep 18-20 olinemen on schollie. One of their fucking experts said "no only 16 is necessary". A week fucking later, ON THEIR FUCKING SHOW, Baird said 18-20. NO QUESTION. Those guys are the biggest fucking bunch of sheep over there.

Whatever eklund (never touched a football), Fetters (never touched a diet soda) and Kimmy (never touched a pussy) says people follow. If they'd just give me control dawgman, people would actually show up instead of the same preachers like YALE. Who cares if you went Ivy league. Doesn't matter anymore. The self proclaimed "film expert" is as retarted as Kim is a play analyst. Sick of these band fags pretending they know something about football.