Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Libtards are retarded and live in their own fantasy world

whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,708 Swaye's Wigwam
http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/what-if-abc-news/what-if-teachers-were-paid-like-athletes-135234980.html

(yes, Yahoo's my source, wanna fight about it?)

Watch that video. If you rage, you're normal. If you think it's a good idea to pay teachers $5,000,000/year as a means to improve test scores (they never claimed it'd make the kids smarter), there'll be some gasoline, matches and an anchor on the Aurora Bridge for you sometime this week. Hell, at current income levels, you could take that $5,000,000 and fund 100 normal teachers for your average 30 student classroom. Holy shit, imagine that, 3 teachers per student in America. Think the kids would be smarter then?

Also, for a video about American education, they sure are a bunch of dumb fucks. How do they think professional athletes are paid? How are teachers paid? And FFS, the map of the US at 1:05 includes Vancouver Island.

Comments

• EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,905 Swaye's Wigwam
    I'm all for teachers getting paid better, but $5mil a year is fucking retarded. TeacheCenter? Give me a fucking break. That gaybob needs to go smoke a cigar in a gas filled hot tub. Also, someone needs to punch that bells palsy bitch right in her half paralyzed(Hi PL_SS!) mouth.
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    My wife is a teacher, and I wouldn't have a problem if she got a raise, but then I remember she only works 9 months out of the year. Her true wage is about 25% higher than what her stub says. Still underpaid, but not by as much as a lot of people believe.
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe teachers should get paid what the free market says they ought to be paid.

You know, rather than by some bullshit government chart.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

When it's a required government function, you can't use the free market alone to determine their salaries.

The fact that schools can pay teachers what they do does indicate that there are plenty of teachers available and no need to pay them more though.
  • CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,477 Swaye's Wigwam

When it's a required government function, you can't use the free market alone to determine their salaries.

The fact that schools can pay teachers what they do does indicate that there are plenty of teachers available and no need to pay them more though.
    Totally agree. I just think government's role should be greatly reduced and a voucher system should be started. I have no idea how that would affect teacher salaries. I do know it would be better for the students.

Find a way to privatize the entire education system (yeah I know it'll never happen), and then each teacher would be paid what the market says. Good teachers would get better salaries than the shitty ones.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

Totally agree. I just think government's role should be greatly reduced and a voucher system should be started. I have no idea how that would affect teacher salaries. I do know it would be better for the students.

Find a way to privatize the entire education system (yeah I know it'll never happen), and then each teacher would be paid what the market says. Good teachers would get better salaries than the shitty ones.
    I'm fine with vouchers, but you can't privatize the whole system.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,506 Swaye's Wigwam
    What a bunch of bullshit. Like parents are gonna want their kids to get their education by sitting in front of a computer for that long.

Teachers make no money because they have no skills (those that can't do, teach). It's not a big deal that they work a 2nd job (They're so smart right? That should be no problem for these geniuses) in the summer.

This video is full of butthurt over athletes making what the market dictates.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,593
    Teachers Unions only exist to serve those who are in said union at the expense of everyone else (parents, kids, taxpayers, etc etc).

The Pre-K proposals in Seattle are nice but I asked (after I received an email from Ed Murray) the campaign manager (of "Blue Wave Media rather than Purple or Red Wave) if these Pre-K schools would be controlled by the unions or if they were more like charter schools. This is what he said:

"The Seattle Preschool Program (SPP) is not at all like the charter school system that was set up under Initiative 1240. Rather, it strengthens public involvement in preschool instruction for three and four year-old kids in Seattle compared to the current privatized system.

To understand why, the most important point to understand is that there currently is no public preschool system in Seattle, so the new program would not be competing with or potentially drawing resources away from an existing system of public preschool instruction. Under the current private system of childcare, quality varies widely and access to a high quality preschool environment is largely limited to children in better off families who can afford to pay for it.

That is a clear problem, and the Seattle Preschool Program is geared to improving the existing system by creating more opportunities for high quality preschool. It’s about making quality preschool affordable and accessible to those who are interested (it's voluntary) by creating a set of public standards for what quality preschool should be, and then offering free or subsidized tuition on a sliding scale based on ability to pay to families who participate in preschool programs that meet those standards. The ultimate goal is to ensure every child regardless of family income has the opportunity to benefit from a quality preschool experience, so they enter the K-12 system – most participating kids will leave the City pre-K program to attend Seattle public schools – with the best possible opportunity to succeed. And it does this without diverting any money away from an existing public system (since no such system exists).

As for your question about union run schools, our plan currently has the sole endorsement of the King County Labor Council and if passed, the City will continue to work with unions on it's implementation. "

I thanked him for his response and asked another question but didn't get a response (which I anticipated):

"Will families have a choice of where to send their young children or will they be forced to send their kids to a specific one, regardless of its quality? Also, what is the per child cost of this initiative?"

No matter his response, we must bust the teacher's unions. They are set-up to extract as much tax revenues from the rest of us as possible and then use some of our money to donate to Democratic politicians to keep the gravy train going. It's unethical and immoral but libtards don't care.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 36,922 Founders Club
    The problem with public education isn't anything to do with teacher salaries. It's the fact that we dumb things down to the point that everybody can get a degree just by showing up to class and turning a couple things in. There is no accountability. There is no one there to push the students who need/want to be pushed (the smart ones). It's slowed down to the C student's level. Always. It's like that from kindergarten all the way through college.
    The problems is more to do with pensions (guaranteed benefits rather than 401k guaranteed contributions) and expensive health care benefits. Throw in that it's very difficult to fire bad teachers due to union rules and that seniority first and foremost decides how much they are paid, and we have a very rotten system.

But yes, I agree that the dumbing down and lack of accountability is also a problem.
    PurpleJ said:

The problem with public education isn't anything to do with teacher salaries. It's the fact that we dumb things down to the point that everybody can get a degree just by showing up to class and turning a couple things in. There is no accountability. There is no one there to push the students who need/want to be pushed (the smart ones). It's slowed down to the C student's level. Always. It's like that from kindergarten all the way through college.

I agree as well. But the unions don't mind the kids being workers and not thinkers because they look better when their students move through the system. Most simply don't give a fuck as long as they follow the rules.

Of course, if there weren't so many children born out of wedlock and raised by single mothers, there would be more two parent households who have the time to help them with their homework and make them think critically and logically.

• allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    edited August 2014
    HFNY said:

I agree as well. But the unions don't mind the kids being workers and not thinkers because they look better when their students move through the system. Most simply don't give a fuck as long as they follow the rules.

Of course, if there weren't so many children born out of wedlock and raised by single mothers, there would be more two parent households who have the time to help them with their homework and make them think critically and logically.

Causation?

I'll bet you born again Christians have the lowest percentage of single parents among any group of Americans. And I'll bet you they have the worst critical thinking skills. Other than that great point.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781

It's not a required government function.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    They are paid pretty close to market rate. Maybe a bit more because of the unions.

He's what people who think teachers should be paid a lot more fail to realize, if teachers could make 200k a year, most current teachers would be out of a job because much better applicants who are currently making 200k in other professions, would take their jobs. They supply of better qualified applicants would increase, and the social studies teacher who was a C student and choose teaching because it was an easier degree than engineering or business would not hired as a teacher at that pay rate.

Teaching pays what it does because it is comparatively and easy job, it doesn't take a particularly bright or skilled person to get through the schooling, and there is a large labor supply of people willing to do the job at the current rates.

I actually had someone get pissed off at me at a party. They were going on about teacher salaries and I said two things 1) what were teacher salaries when you made the choice to become one? You knew what you were signing up for. 2) be careful what you wish for because if the salaries get high enough, people like me will take your job. They weren't amused at hearing the truth.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,481 Founders Club

HFNY said:

Causation?

I'll bet you born again Christians have the lowest percentage of single parents among any group of Americans. And I'll bet you they have the worst critical thinking skills. Other than that great point.
    I hope you don't call yourself a Christian with that comment
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    edited August 2014

They are paid pretty close to market rate. Maybe a bit more because of the unions.

He's what people who think teachers should be paid a lot more fail to realize, if teachers could make 200k a year, most current teachers would be out of a job because much better applicants who are currently making 200k in other professions, would take their jobs. They supply of better qualified applicants would increase, and the social studies teacher who was a C student and choose teaching because it was an easier degree than engineering or business would not hired as a teacher at that pay rate.

Teaching pays what it does because it is comparatively and easy job, it doesn't take a particularly bright or skilled person to get through the schooling, and there is a large labor supply of people willing to do the job at the current rates.

I actually had someone get pissed off at me at a party. They were going on about teacher salaries and I said two things 1) what were teacher salaries when you made the choice to become one? You knew what you were signing up for. 2) be careful what you wish for because if the salaries get high enough, people like me will take your job. They weren't amused at hearing the truth.

That's the whole point, to get better qualified applicants. Of course that doesn't jibe with the teaching union line, but most reformers are willing to overlook that in order to get better teachers in the schools.

What would happen though is that current teachers could also go back to school in order to become better qualified, rising seas lifts all boats and all that.
  • FreeChavezFreeChavez Member Posts: 3,223
    You pay more, you get more. As it's stated, you aren't going to have an elite group of applicants running to make 35k a year. They could do that managing mcdonalds. A few in this thread are completely retarded if you think that teachers "have no skills". Just as any job, there are incredibly bad individuals in the profession. There are also quite a few brilliant teachers. It's not a job anyone would do for 100k b/c some people(myself included) couldn't handle dealing with kids all day. I would want to shoot myself.

Read a few studies on the difference a good teacher makes in a childs development vs a poor teacher and then spout off. You know, a few places like harvard and stanford do such studies and are easily accessible for your reading pleasure.

One of the biggest problems with teaching and student development is still the parents. People take their kids to class and assume they will somehow learn everything in a short amount of time without any further work. Sadly, many families don't prioritize reading, learning and anything else at home and merely toss their kid a xbox controller. Nor do many people want to admit that not all kids have the capacity to be rock stars no matter what the learning environment.

If you want a competitive field to drive out some of the idiots, then pay a good wage. It actually does help society when highly qualified and motivated employees are driving youth in the proper direction. I highly doubt some of you would pay for your suit at Old navy and expect $3k suit quality. 5 million is ridiculous, but paying people 30k is equally comical.