Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Good and bad of recent verbal commitments.

PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
edited June 2013 in Hardcore Husky Board
Good: Both Lockett and Washington seem like good players. Lockett looks like a phenomenal athlete, in the mold of the great CBs that were also explosive return men. Here are some highlights: youtube.com/watch?v=P2JBGb2vp8s (Warning, the music is like slow drips of water on the forehead.)

Here are some highlights of Washington: youtube.com/watch?v=ga-HEJStohE

Sark has always had an ability to recruit skill position players and DBs, and he should be credited for getting these two. Of course, holding onto them is now the challenge.

Bad: That was the good news. The bad? Well, I looked at the scout.com database (take it for what it's worth) to see the OLs that we're after. I was SHOCKED! Not a single OT or OG has a "high" interest in Washington. I know...hard to believe.

When asked about this, doucheman.com administrators were quoted as saying: "Step away from the ledge. It's beyond early. Let it play out. Stop being a jerk or we'll start giving timeouts. Go to the "vent board" instead of the "football board," because our inability to recruit top-tier OLs has nothing to do with football. You can panic on signing day...of course at that point we'll threaten to ban you because you'll be crying over spilled milk and you should just focus on the following year's class. Now leave us alone, we're on our way to rub suntan lotion on coach cozzetto's back."

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    All I have to say is......awfully warm for February.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    Passion said:

Good: Both Lockett and Washington seem like good players. Lockett looks like a phenomenal athlete, in the mold of the great CBs that were also explosive return men. Here are some highlights: youtube.com/watch?v=P2JBGb2vp8s (Warning, the music is like slow drips of water on the forehead.)

Sark has always had an ability to recruit skill position players and DBs, and he should be credited for getting these two. Of course, holding onto them is now the challenge.

Bad: That was the good news. The bad? Well, I looked at the scout.com database (take it for what it's worth) to see the OLs that we're after. I was SHOCKED! Not a single OT or OG has a "high" interest in Washington. I know...hard to believe.

When asked about this, doucheman.com administrators were quoted as saying: "Step away from the ledge. It's beyond early. Let it play out. Stop being a jerk or we'll start giving timeouts. Go to the "vent board" instead of the "football board," because our inability to recruit top-tier OLs has nothing to do with football. You can panic on signing day...of course at that point we'll threaten to ban you because you'll be crying over spilled milk and you should just focus on the following year's class. Now leave us alone, we're on our way to rub suntan lotion on coach cozzetto's back."

But Passion, 2015 is going to be a bumper crop for the OL. We have already offered three in state tackles! This year doesn't matter because all three of those guys bleed purple and gold!

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    Sounds like we have a good shot at getting 2 more highly ranked guys at the opening, and Lockett and Washington both look very good. I'm not a huge fan of giving the other guy (Lewis) a commitable offer at this point (Sammie Long, Jaime Bryant). At this point it looks like we're gonna punt again on OL recruiting. There are two guys (Mama and Mike) that we have a chance on but everyone on the west coast is in on them.
  • PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    edited June 2013

Passion said:

But Passion, 2015 is going to be a bumper crop for the OL. We have already offered three in state tackles! This year doesn't matter because all three of those guys bleed purple and gold!

WOW! Now I feel better! Take that negadawgs!!! If only we had some top-tier in state OLs with family connections to UW.

oh...wait...never mind...

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited June 2013
    Passion said:

Passion said:

WOW! Now I feel better! Take that negadawgs!!! If only we had some top-tier in state OLs with family connections to UW.

oh...wait...never mind...

If you can't see that by 2018 we will have a good OL, well I have a pencil for you.

In all seriousness, Cozzetto needs to go. I don't even know why it is a debate. If your position group has sucked for four consecutive years, you need to be fired. This isn't a union job. If you don't perform, too bad, and good luck finding a new job. Factor in that our OL recruiting has been, at best, below average (I'm feeling nice today), and there is more than enough there to warrent a change.

I'm sure other Pac 12 teams have a field day recruiting against Cozzetto and UW. Cozzetto hasn't had a good OL under his watch since the late 90's. Recruits don't even remember the guys who Cozzetto helped get to the NFL so his past success really doesn't mean shit.

• chrisvashonchrisvashon Member Posts: 627
    Given that we have some of the best recruiters in the country (yes, it's true), and rides are limited this year, why on earth are we taking a commit from Lewis right now? A local kid who loves UW--yet doesn't really have an impressive offer list--is exactly the type of kid you slow play, right?
  • TailgaterTailgater Member Posts: 1,389
    Passion said:

Good:

I was never banned nor deleted for complaining about Sark's imbalanced and mediocre to poor recruiting of offensive linemen, just labeled as boring, tedious, and stupid of the fact that only five athletes were required to play the position at any given time and there was always plenty of depth (some of it still in HS) on Sark's roster to satisfy the need. While some of us no-brains persisted to point out the OL problem, particularly in protecting the QB on obvious passing downs, a new board dedicated to OL discussions was temporarily created. I could only assume that mobs of Dm.c's Pollyanna customers had complained vociferously about the boring, tedious, and stupid topic of Sark's obvious OL problem being posted for discussion far too often. Either that or as you've suggested, Cozzetto needed to have his ego massaged.

• Dick_BDick_B Member Posts: 1,301
    well, if the coaches want em, I want em- at least that's what I was told.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    edited June 2013
    Overall recruiting was quite good last year. The class was good in terms of stars per player and the vast majority of recruits based on their offer list are good enough to contribute. The bulk of the 3* guys are much closer to being 4* guys and the class was well balanced except for the OL which was the weak spot.

Stars per player are more important than the overall points. Last year the class was 4th in the pac-12 in stars per player and 19th overall. The 2010 class was 6th in stars per player in conference and ranked 23rd overall. A rigid analysis shows that Sark's recruiting pre-last year was at best barely better than Ty's.

Recruiting has definitely improved thanks entirely to Tosh & Sirmon. One only look at the DL as the first example. Last year's DL class probably made Passion cream his pants and its amazing to think that was without Hall & Hooks who decided in the final day. The LB group was solid with 2 of the 4 guys getting offers from Oregon and the two others having decent offers with potential to surprise.

I'm very confident that the defense can get better thanks to Tosh & Sirmon's recruiting ability and Wilcox' ability to get the best out of whats available. The 2015 class just got a commit from a DL who will be a top 100 player according to Biggins. Who knows if it lasts but its continued evidence then Tosh is making a huge impact.

It's clear that Steve Sarkisian can't recruit OL. Cozetto is kept around probably bc of his inroads in Arizona, a state where talent is improving dramatically. He has the connections that this less than experienced staff does not. Maybe he was the point man on getting Farria who could be the greatest steal since.....well Shaq but potentially one of the greatest steals.
    The root problem is OL recruiting and not coaching. But if HS players are turned off by Coz then he definitely needs to go.

Overall, the expectation needs to be to consistently put together classes that are in the top 4-5 in conference in stars per player and not the overall points bullshit. For this next class, it comes down to winning 9 games and being respectable in the 4 losses. That would be enough for recruits to think the program is improving and recruiting would continue to improve. If that doesn't happen the upcoming class won't be as good as last years.

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,131
    This years recruiting is looking pretty good so far. Another 7-6 or worse season will undo all of that. There will be mass decommitments and our class will look like Rick's final class at UCLA (minus Hundley). If Sark can somehow make a run this class will be ridiculously good and guys like Lewis will be asked to look elsewhere.
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

This years recruiting is looking pretty good so far. Another 7-6 or worse season will undo all of that. There will be mass decommitments and our class will look like Rick's final class at UCLA (minus Hundley). If Sark can somehow make a run this class will be ridiculously good and guys like Lewis will be asked to look elsewhere.

This is why Woodward needs to pay attention to recruiting. If it starts falling off in November and continues then you have no choice but to make a change.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680

This is why Woodward needs to pay attention to recruiting. If it starts falling off in November and continues then you have no choice but to make a change.
    If Woodward was paying attention to anything related to Husky football, Sark would have already gone door.ass.out.
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186

If Woodward was paying attention to anything related to Husky football, Sark would have never fulfilled APAG's wet dream and gotten the jerb.
    ftfy

• TheKobeStopperTheKobeStopper Member Posts: 5,959

If Woodward was paying attention to anything related to Husky football, Sark would have never fulfilled APAG's wet dream and gotten the jerb.
    ftfy

If you're just here to bash APAG you won't last long.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
    what are star rankings? There was some guy out of Cheney Washington rated a 2 star. His name was Ste-ve emptman....It is not star rating, its about development. Look at the players two or three years down the road.

I can't understand how people can follow 17 year old boys, and call it a hobby. Flat out weird.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

Disagree. That type of thinking is what bought Ty another season and thus 0-12 happened. Remember "We can't fire Ty he is putting together a great class".
  • HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    edited July 2013

Disagree. That type of thinking is what bought Ty another season and thus 0-12 happened. Remember "We can't fire Ty he is putting together a great class".
    If Emmert would have dropped the HAMMER on Ty after year 3, we could have lost Fivestario Middleton. It clearly wasn't worth the risk.

• MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    jecornel said:

what are star rankings? There was some guy out of Cheney Washington rated a 2 star. His name was Ste-ve emptman....It is not star rating, its about development. Look at the players two or three years down the road.

I can't understand how people can follow 17 year old boys, and call it a hobby. Flat out weird.

Emntaman was a 2 star?

• MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031

jecornel said:

Emntaman was a 2 star?

please keep in mind that a 2 star predating the Eklund/Fetters rating system would have been auto-upgraded to 4 star upon committing to uw
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    From the Duck perspective - we were told by Biggins that UO led for Lockett. He himself had stated that we were his leader.

Post committing to UW - there have been two reactions - one, a kind of modified WDWHA, in that UO is loaded at CB and we might not have had room for him, or, two, that the kid just really enjoyed his visit to Seattle and decided to commit. Either way, he's a great get for UW and will almost certainly contribute early. Lots of people on the UO premium boreds had nice things to say about him and he was certainly on our coaches' board (not to be confused with bored).

/teenstocker