Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Best band where primary lead singer is the bassist?

2»

Comments

• Options
    Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Police (Sting)
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

Yella …

When I get down to Bend to play golf this year you’re going to listen to non-stop Rush while we play and you’re going to like it

Suprised by this @BleachedAnusDawg ...

I thought you'd appreciated Rush for their technically gifted, proggy playing.
    Yeah, I can kind of appreciate their technical skill, but I can't stand listening to Geddy sing. He's on my Mt. Rushmore of annoying vocalists. I will avoid crapping on them because the band was certainly high level on the musicianship scale and I understand why lots of people like them.
    A friend of mine was lead singer and rhythm guitarist of a band. I was gushing about Neil Peart one day and mentioned that Neil was also the lead songwriter. So he asked me, “what does the lead singer do, except sound annoying?” I answered back that he is bassist and does all the keyboard work since Rush is a trio. His reply was, “wow, they make so much sound I never considered they were a trio.” He became a casual fan, like many of us soon after. Geddy’s voice and some the fantastical lyrics and songs can be too much IMO, which drives some people away.
    But...the chorus of Temples of Syrinx is one of the great vocal moments in rock according to me.

Agree otherwise.
    That and “Working Man” were my gateway drug into Rush.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Rush (Geddy Lee)
    I get the views that people have with Geddy’s vocals

For me his vocals are as much a unique musical instrument as they are the medium that delivers the lyrics

One thing I’ve been thinking about lately with songs/bands is the (in)ability to cover songs and understanding the ability to do in a way that works

Recently there was a country tribute album to The Rolling Stones that I thought the intention was good but trying to put a country musicians spin on Stones songs largely doesn’t work. The one exception was the ZBB and “Paint It Black”

In that context, you almost never see covers of Rush …

Is it because they sucked? Clearly not

Was it because they weren’t influential? Too many are on record as saying they were major ones

What I keep coming back to is that taking one of their songs and doing it any kind of justice is almost impossible and the top end of artists know that …

Sure you might be able to play a competent drum or guitar or whatnot …

But the ability to put all the pieces together and then get the vocals where they need to be …

I just find more and more appreciation and Geddy’s voice is part of what makes them a true 1 of 1 … which is rare in music
  • Options
    CallMeBigErnCallMeBigErn Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,215
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Founders Club
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,255
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Cream (Jack Bruce)
    chuck said:

Tequilla said:

Yella …

When I get down to Bend to play golf this year you’re going to listen to non-stop Rush while we play and you’re going to like it

Suprised by this @BleachedAnusDawg ...

I thought you'd appreciated Rush for their technically gifted, proggy playing.
    Yeah, I can kind of appreciate their technical skill, but I can't stand listening to Geddy sing. He's on my Mt. Rushmore of annoying vocalists. I will avoid crapping on them because the band was certainly high level on the musicianship scale and I understand why lots of people like them.
    A friend of mine was lead singer and rhythm guitarist of a band. I was gushing about Neil Peart one day and mentioned that Neil was also the lead songwriter. So he asked me, “what does the lead singer do, except sound annoying?” I answered back that he is bassist and does all the keyboard work since Rush is a trio. His reply was, “wow, they make so much sound I never considered they were a trio.” He became a casual fan, like many of us soon after. Geddy’s voice and some the fantastical lyrics and songs can be too much IMO, which drives some people away.
    But...the chorus of Temples of Syrinx is one of the great vocal moments in rock according to me.

Agree otherwise.
    For me it’s A Passage to Bangkok
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,861
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    The Police (Sting)
    chuck said:

I love me some Primus, not as much as some of the others here, but Claypool is on another level as a bassist according to my amateur ear.

I would've voted for Bruce otherwise since I like his vocals. McCartney doesn't qualify for the reasons already mentioned, and I can only handle 1-2 Rush songs before I'm ready for someone else.

I'm not a Primus fan, but he is very good.