Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Best band where primary lead singer is the bassist?

Purple_PillsPurple_Pills Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,819
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
Swaye's Wigwam
Best band where primary lead singer is the bassist? (Primary lead singer, so no Paul for Beatles or Benjamin Orr for Cars)

Best band where primary lead singer is the bassist? 25 votes

Wings (Paul McCartney)
0%
Rush (Geddy Lee)
12%
TequillahuskyhooliganYellowSnow 3 votes
Thin Lizzy (Phil Lynott)
20%
DerekJohnsonCFetters_Nacho_LoverTurdBomberJoeEDangerouslyWoolleyDoog 5 votes
The Police (Sting)
32%
Fire_Marshall_Billdncbiak1PurpleThrobberPurple_PillsWilliams3BleachedAnusDawgRDR 8 votes
Primus (Les Claypool)
8%
chuckCallMeBigErn 2 votes
Cream (Jack Bruce)
16%
alumni94LebamDawgEl_KFishpo31 4 votes
Lemmy Kilmister (Motörhead)
12%
Mad_SonYouKnowItBad_MotherDucker 3 votes
(Other)
0%

Comments

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Police (Sting)
    Just to whet the whistle:

Wings - “Band on the Run”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QZGurhtlve8

Rush - Spirit of the Radio”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPBinohXHLc

Thin Lizzy - “Cowboy Song”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMdmjoAB-5Q

The Police - “Every Little Thing She Does is Magic”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aENX1Sf3fgQ

Primus - “John the Fisherman”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSmfK5rqcN8

Cream - “White Room”

https://youtu.be/VR90gQ-SIaY

Motörhead - “Ace of Spades”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMavhk16FJU

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Police (Sting)
    Here’s an “other”:

James Dewar with Robin Trower:

Robin Trower - “Day of the Eagle”:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4kpdHWW9WD8
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,960
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rush (Geddy Lee)
    Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney both played bass but weren’t technically 100%, full time lead singers.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Police (Sting)

Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney both played bass but weren’t technically 100%, full time lead singers.

I already disqualified Paul from Beatles above, but not Wings. Brian Wilson was an easy disqualification because the nasally Mike Love was lead on many of The Beach Boys songs and Brian’s brother Carl was lead on their all time greatest single, “Good Vibrations.”
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Rush (Geddy Lee)
    Yella …

When I get down to Bend to play golf this year you’re going to listen to non-stop Rush while we play and you’re going to like it
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rush (Geddy Lee)

I already disqualified Paul from Beatles above, but not Wings. Brian Wilson was an easy disqualification because the nasally Mike Love was lead on many of The Beach Boys songs and Brian’s brother Carl was lead on their all time greatest single, “Good Vibrations.”
    I'm not quibbling, mind you, and mostly agree here.

I still struggle with the concept of Wings as a "band". To me, it's still "Paul McCartney and Wings".

Beach Boys were so similar to the Beatles in dividing up the lead singer role. Brian sang plenty of lead on a number of their early hits- e.g., In My Room, Don't Worry Baby, Surfer Girl, and a lot of their best known tracks had Mike and Brian sharing leads- e.g., Sloop John B, Wouldn't It Be Nice.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rush (Geddy Lee)
    Tequilla said:

Yella …

When I get down to Bend to play golf this year you’re going to listen to non-stop Rush while we play and you’re going to like it

I have no more of a love / hate relationship with a band, than I do with Rush. It's hard, it's a process.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,256
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Cream (Jack Bruce)

Roger Waters as well…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rush (Geddy Lee)
    Tequilla said:

Yella …

Suprised by this @BleachedAnusDawg ...

I thought you'd appreciated Rush for their technically gifted, proggy playing.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,526
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    The Police (Sting)

Tequilla said:

Yella …

Yeah, I can kind of appreciate their technical skill, but I can't stand listening to Geddy sing. He's on my Mt. Rushmore of annoying vocalists. I will avoid crapping on them because the band was certainly high level on the musicianship scale and I understand why lots of people like them.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Rush (Geddy Lee)

Tequilla said:

Yella …

Yeah, I can kind of appreciate their technical skill, but I can't stand listening to Geddy sing. He's on my Mt. Rushmore of annoying vocalists. I will avoid crapping on them because the band was certainly high level on the musicianship scale and I understand why lots of people like them.
    My position on Rush is softening as I listen to them more on the hi fi rig. Still hate Geddy’s vocals and some of his lyrics. But fuck those guys could play.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Rush (Geddy Lee)

Tequilla said:

Yella …

My position on Rush is softening as I listen to them more on the hi fi rig. Still hate Geddy’s vocals and some of his lyrics. But fuck those guys could play.
    The musicianship doesn’t get better

There’s definitely some songs where Geddy’s vocals probably kept the band back from being bigger

The songs where the vocals work … hard to find much better
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Thin Lizzy (Phil Lynott)

Here’s an “other”:

Fuck yes. On my top ten album list
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,150
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Thin Lizzy (Phil Lynott)
    Waiting for some gay ass quook to vote for Kip Winger
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Primus (Les Claypool)
    I love me some Primus, not as much as some of the others here, but Claypool is on another level as a bassist according to my amateur ear.

I would've voted for Bruce otherwise since I like his vocals. McCartney doesn't qualify for the reasons already mentioned, and I can only handle 1-2 Rush songs before I'm ready for someone else.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Police (Sting)

Here’s an “other”:

Fuck yes. On my top ten album list
    Agree! Maybe slightly out of my top 10, but the above, title track, and “Too Rolling Stoned” are staples on my playlist.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 24
    The Police (Sting)
    chuck said:

I love me some Primus, not as much as some of the others here, but Claypool is on another level as a bassist according to my amateur ear.

I would've voted for Bruce otherwise since I like his vocals. McCartney doesn't qualify for the reasons already mentioned, and I can only handle 1-2 Rush songs before I'm ready for someone else.

Primus sucks!

Les Claypool on lead bass! They are a fun band.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Police (Sting)

Waiting for some gay ass quook to vote for Kip Winger

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Police (Sting)

Tequilla said:

Yella …

A friend of mine was lead singer and rhythm guitarist of a band. I was gushing about Neil Peart one day and mentioned that Neil was also the lead songwriter. So he asked me, “what does the lead singer do, except sound annoying?” I answered back that he is bassist and does all the keyboard work since Rush is a trio. His reply was, “wow, they make so much sound I never considered they were a trio.” He became a casual fan, like many of us soon after. Geddy’s voice and some the fantastical lyrics and songs can be too much IMO, which drives some people away.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,629
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Primus (Les Claypool)

Tequilla said:

Yella …

A friend of mine was lead singer and rhythm guitarist of a band. I was gushing about Neil Peart one day and mentioned that Neil was also the lead songwriter. So he asked me, “what does the lead singer do, except sound annoying?” I answered back that he is bassist and does all the keyboard work since Rush is a trio. His reply was, “wow, they make so much sound I never considered they were a trio.” He became a casual fan, like many of us soon after. Geddy’s voice and some the fantastical lyrics and songs can be too much IMO, which drives some people away.
    But...the chorus of Temples of Syrinx is one of the great vocal moments in rock according to me.

Agree otherwise.