Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Most recent Audible - Cult of TBS Meltdown

2»

Comments

• YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 35,072 Founders Club
    edited January 5

whlinder said:

I listened and agree it's worth a listen since Mandel has no other football allegiances (no ESPN attachment) and Feldman (w/ only Fox bias) goes after Wasserman pretty hard.

I've been following closely the TBS vs Coaching Halfbrain wars since 2015.

@RoadDawg55 and @PostGameOrangeSlices seem to have the upper hand now.
    Coaching and transfer portal > impressed with their stars
    @PostGameOrangeSlices has already locked up the poster of the year Natty has put his balls in the face of @CokeGreaterThanPepsi and @Dennis_DeYoung
  • BonerBoner Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 225 Founders Club
    I don’t put much stock into anything Wasserman says. He mentioned the Rose Bowl game being in Alabamas favor because it’s indoors on a fast track on multiple podcasts in the weeks leading up to the game.
  • phineasphineas Member Posts: 4,732

Ironically I was just listening to some SEC pundits talking about this. I didn’t realize that paid TBSers manipulate star numbers up depending on which teams the player is likely to go to or has committed to.

i have nothing to back this up and it's just an assumption but, i bet the smart coaches know or care nothing about these alleged "star rankings" and just go after guys they want while the lesser coaches (sark) chase stars.

again i know nothing about TBSing
  • TXDawgTXDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 827 Founders Club
    edited January 6
    The whole macro vs micro discussion is so fucking dumb. I'll just get super-macro and say an FBS team will win the title. I'm now the greatest predictor in all of college football.

Edit: They also give it away when the repeatedly use correllation instead of causation. I'm sure we can find correlations for a lot of weird shit. What a cult.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,923 Swaye's Wigwam

Also very important: The SEC used to have the only efficient bag network in CFB.

A lot of top players were probably fine taking (just a theoretical projection) 50-75K a year to ride the bench for two to three years at Bama, GA, LSU...Get coached up, get lots of publicity, increase your eventual draft stock.

Not no more. They can eclipse those figures filling in a position of need at Minnesota or Arizona for all I know, as a sophomore transfer.

When the bigger money can be made NOW, the unique features that created talent monopolies for SEC are lessened dramatically.

Sports media, especially SEC owned ESPN, does not like that picture.

So, basically, FREE MARKETS WORK?!?!
    Don’t tell @HHusky and @MelloDawg. TITTT
  • RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,698 Founders Club

The whole 247 composite thing was an iron law for all of what, 15 years? Talent obviously matters, and it's exactly why the law of averages say that a transfer who has proven himself at the P5 level is worth a lot fucking more than a single blue chip recruit who still has a great chance of flaming out. Even trying to ascribe a "transfer star" rating system is woefully inadequate to capturing the value a good transfer provides.

It's amusing to watch sports writers who flunked history and have no grasp of the sheer magnitude of time get surprised when things change. I'm not surprised they're surprised.

So this has been the most head scratcher season in the history of Husky Football, I'd say.

On the one hand, I feel like if our guys are healthy and bring their A game we can beat anyone in the country for 4 quarters. But our lack of depth ( i.e., talent in the 2 and 3 deeps) has made the 14-0 grind maddingly frustrating at times , to the point where I'm shocked where playing for the Natty. How did we not lose a game or two this year? I mean what are the odds?

Good thing this isn't the NBA and we didn't have to play the Ducks in the best of 7.
    I think it speaks volumes as to just how good Kalen DeBoer really is. Given the access to players, he would be one of the best coaches ever. He's already on his way.

Ironically I was just listening to some SEC pundits talking about this. I didn’t realize that paid TBSers manipulate star numbers up depending on which teams the player is likely to go to or has committed to.

LOL the ducks have counted multiple off season nattys relying on false dreams.

The Portal has sapped personnel depth from the SEC. Bama and to a lesser degree Georgia, doesn’t have the amount of juniors and seniors that waited their turn to play. In Alabamas heyday those kids would sit for two, sometimes three years to play. They move on now and get a bag from Miami, Oregon and USC. Even if they don’t end up as superstars at their new schools they were critical pieces to a long and grinding season a decade ago.
    It's very similar to how the 83 or 85 scholarship limit in the 90's leveled the playing field for traditional doormats like Oregon. I remember them bragging how UW would never be competitive again. Fuck off whoregon. Your advantage is about to die.
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,329 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 6

Also very important: The SEC used to have the only efficient bag network in CFB.

A lot of top players were probably fine taking (just a theoretical projection) 50-75K a year to ride the bench for two to three years at Bama, GA, LSU...Get coached up, get lots of publicity, increase your eventual draft stock.

Not no more. They can eclipse those figures filling in a position of need at Minnesota or Arizona for all I know, as a sophomore transfer.

When the bigger money can be made NOW, the unique features that created talent monopolies for SEC are lessened dramatically.

Alabama had full on position deficiencies. OLine, WR, QB, RB. Not sure how many NFL types these groups have but I’ll say not many.
    Bama's lack of elite players at so many positions is stunning. I go back and forth on if WE wanted them or Michigan. Looks like they have one elite pass rusher, a corner, and a supposed elite RT who didn't look great against Michigan and that's it.
  • dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,847 Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 6

Alabama had full on position deficiencies. OLine, WR, QB, RB. Not sure how many NFL types these groups have but I’ll say not many.
    Bama's lack of elite players at so many positions is stunning. I go back and forth on if WE wanted them or Michigan. Looks like they have one elite pass rusher, a corner, and a supposed elite RT who didn't look great against Michigan and that's it.
    I wanted UM from go. Limp dick offense can’t keep up with ours even if they put up 250 on the ground. They’ll run out of time to catch up.

This way we also get to beat the cheaters and temporarily make everything right in the world of college football.
  • DoogmanRefundDoogmanRefund Member Posts: 810
    Boner said:

I don’t put much stock into anything Wasserman says. He mentioned the Rose Bowl game being in Alabamas favor because it’s indoors on a fast track on multiple podcasts in the weeks leading up to the game.

The sunsets and the shadows of the Arroyo Seco are
    spectacular from inside that dome.