Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

FUCK QATAR

jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,606
5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
Standard Supporter
Sick and disturbing story about Qatar getting the 2022 World Cup......FUCK that country!!!!

theshadowleague.com/articles/hbo-real-sports-qatar-s-pursuit-of-sports-glory-at-any-cost--2

Comments

• Options
    oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    I didn't read the article but I agree. Fuck that worthless terrorist supporting country.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Real Sports on HBO does a story on it, it is so fucked up.....Shocking segment. Flat out disgusting...
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    What I don't get is that soccer is reaching an apex in terms of support in this country. You have the top English teams coming over here every year. You have the head of the Spanish Premera Division talking about wanting to expand their footprint in the US including possible league matchups. You're finding more and more US players choosing to stay home in MLS.

IF they wanted to do, it would be very easy to expand the Champions League such that the US and really Mexico were brought into the discussion. Getting North America even more tied into the Champions League would be a no brainer IMO and with transportation to/from the US and Europe easier than it has ever been, you could also very easily have a breakout "Super League" with the Top Teams from Europe breaking off from the "Financial Fair Play" that is in place right now.

I'm all for the World Cup going to other parts of the world. Russia makes sense. Strong domestic league. Fairly strong national team. Qatar makes ZERO sense. It's just a flat out bad idea. The sooner Sepp Blatter gets away from the European control the better for soccer in general.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    Purple J, thanks for the heads up. Truly awful.
  • Options
    CheersWestDawgCheersWestDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,475
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    PurpleJ said:

I've been following this for a while now, and I have decided not to watch the 2022 World Cup.

If this is the only reason you've decided not to watch soccer then you need to reexamine all of your choices in life.
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment

I didn't read the article but I agree. Fuck that worthless terrorist supporting country.

What do you mean? Qatar allows Obubba to to funnel all his weapons to al Qaeda...I mean freedom fighters, forgive me. They're our new buddy.
  • Options
    edited August 2014

Futbol is popular in Michigan.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,546
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

What I don't get is that soccer is reaching an apex in terms of support in this country. You have the top English teams coming over here every year. You have the head of the Spanish Premera Division talking about wanting to expand their footprint in the US including possible league matchups. You're finding more and more US players choosing to stay home in MLS.

IF they wanted to do, it would be very easy to expand the Champions League such that the US and really Mexico were brought into the discussion. Getting North America even more tied into the Champions League would be a no brainer IMO and with transportation to/from the US and Europe easier than it has ever been, you could also very easily have a breakout "Super League" with the Top Teams from Europe breaking off from the "Financial Fair Play" that is in place right now.

I'm all for the World Cup going to other parts of the world. Russia makes sense. Strong domestic league. Fairly strong national team. Qatar makes ZERO sense. It's just a flat out bad idea. The sooner Sepp Blatter gets away from the European control the better for soccer in general.

Agree with most of what you said.

However, each continental federation already has their own Champions League. The winners play each other in the Club World Cup. You would want to expand that tournament.

Also, MLS will never take off unless we start producing more American talent. We don't have the financial means to import good talent, and won't for at least a couple more decades. I find most of the games to be unwatchable dreck, which is one of the reasons why I can't get into the Sounders.

I think what needs to happen is for a major league like the EPL or La Liga to tell FIFA to fuck off and secede. That's the only way they lose their grip on the sport.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    You openly homosexual soccer fans seem to take the sport very seriously.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I support soccer. I'll be at the MLS all-star game in Portland wearing my 2010 Auburn vs. Oregon National Title t-shirt if anyone wants to meet up.

Will you be wearing a warm winter scarf in the summer heat so you can look the part of a wannabe European?
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2014

Futbol is popular in Michigan.

I guess people will pay anything to get out of Detroit. Fuck scrimmages.
  • Options
    Cuogar_GoldCuogar_Gold Member Posts: 360
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary Name Dropper 5 Awesomes
    PurpleJ said:

I support soccer. I'll be at the MLS all-star game in Portland wearing my 2010 Auburn vs. Oregon National Title t-shirt if anyone wants to meet up.

Will you be wearing a warm winter scarf in the summer heat so you can look the part of a wannabe European?
    I just hope all the Europeans like the Tifo we made.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

I just hope all the Europeans like the Tifo we made.
    I know you are being sarcastic, but the Euros won't truly respect us as a futbol nation until we learn to write more offensive chants and start engaging in large-scale riots after every match. Not likely, when you consider the fannypack wearing motherfuckers that currently follow MLS.
  • Options
    HoustonHuskyHoustonHusky Member Posts: 5,954
    First Anniversary First Comment Photogenic 5 Awesomes
    Spent two and a half weeks down in Brazil for the WC...probably spend about the same in Russia in 2018. No way in hell I'm going to Qatar in 2022.

Not sure how much you know about them, but it's fucked up...when the Saudis call them rich relative to themselves (the Saudis) it's nuts to begin with, but when you see/hear what they do with the money...