Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Sounds like a good assistant

2»

Comments

• RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2014

In Strong's last two seasons at LV when they were ranked in the top 15, they were 26 and 44 by SRS. His resume seems really weak for a school like Texas. In three years Todd Graham is really going to try to get that job or the Texas A&M job. Sumlin will be exposed without Manziel.

Interesting. The metrics are good shit, but this shows an issue I have with the metrics. Strong went 12-1 last season with a three point loss to Central Florida. Central Florida had a elite QB in Bortles and one of the best RB's in the country. A disappointing loss, but certainly understandable. UCF also beat Baylor pretty handily in a BCS Bowl Game. Louisville did have some games where they struggled and didn't win all that handily over weaker competition, but going 12-1 is always a good season.

I think Strong will do better at Texas than you think. He's been a part of championship teams. So has Sark, but Strong isn't an undisciplined dipshit who was gifted anything like Sark was. Strong should have became a head coach much sooner than he did. Everything he is doing is trying to make Texas tougher.

I'm not sure about Sumlin either. He's always had great offenses and he will get another great QB. Who knows if Kyle Allen will be any good, but he was the #1 QB recruit on Scout for the 2014 class. Sumlin is also recruiting great talent, but he needs to figure it out on defense. If he hires a great DC (and he will have an open check book), he could do very well. I think he's overhyped, but I'm not sure he's bad enough to be fired. He will have some good seasons mixed in with average ones.
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    Gotta admit, Manziel was worth tuning in for, all by himself.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited August 2014
    I think Manziel will be a Pro Bowler in the NFL. Most of the GM's and Exec's are so old fashioned. The group think is pathetic. A few think he's out of control and then it becomes fact because it is repeated so often. The kid is a gamer and a great football player. He loves the celebrity and knows if he blows it at football it all goes away. There are tons of NFL players who probably party just as hard, if not harder than Manziel.
  • GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,493 Standard Supporter

I think Manziel will be a Pro Bowler in the NFL. Most of the GM's and Exec's are so old fashioned. The group think is pathetic. A few people think he's out of control and then it becomes fact because it is repeated so often. The kid is a gamer and a great football player. The last thing he wants to do is be a bust. There is no partying with Drake and Floyd Mayweather if you bust and he knows that. There are tons of NFL players who probably party just as hard, if not harder than Manziel.

Johnny Ball would be a huge improvement to the watchability of NFL. The only system he's ever played in is "Johnny run around & make a play."
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,693 Swaye's Wigwam
    AZDuck said:

Shaggy Bevo has delivered the few times I've ventured there
  • WilburHooksHandsWilburHooksHands Member Posts: 6,799
    edited August 2014
    This play tells you all you need to know about Manziel on a football field. He may party hard, but he's an animal on game day... Fumble on the goal line, Manziel pursues ball carrier the other way, blows up a block, strips the ball carrier, and then tackles the other guy who picks up the ball.

youtube.com/embed/WO8miZNzyIQ

edit: what's the video posting method on this forum? iFrames don't seem to work
  • HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    Roadie,

The metrics don't penalize them for losing a close game to CF. Whereas conventional thought gives 100% value to a win, the metrics differentiate appropriately between a close win and close loss or close loss and blowout loss.

Strong may do well but his resume isn't close to good enough to have a top 5 job. I hope he does well because if not he'll cry racism and it will only make other programs think twice about hiring a black coach, thereby exacerbating that problem. I'd worry that he won't get the full support and buy in to do what he's trying to do. He doesn't yet have the credibility of a Saban or Petersen for that matter.
  • RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160

Strong is very well spoken.

And a credit to his race...
  • AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381

Roadie,

Strong may do well but his resume isn't close to good enough to have a top 5 job. I hope he does well because if not he'll cry racism and it will only make other programs think twice about hiring a black coach, thereby exacerbating that problem. I'd worry that he won't get the full support and buy in to do what he's trying to do. He doesn't yet have the credibility of a Saban or Petersen for that matter.

Disagree. He was DC at Florida and created a monster defense there, recruited well to Louisville and beat his former FL squad in a beat-down in a BCS bowel.

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,951 Founders Club
    Ty won multiple Rose Bowls at Stanford. Imagine what he can do at a power school like Notre Dame Washington
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,693 Swaye's Wigwam

Ty won multiple Rose Bowls at Stanford. Imagine what he can do at a power school like Notre Dame Washington

LIFPO, Kim
  • SoutherndawgSoutherndawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,285 Founders Club

Roadie,

The metrics don't penalize them for losing a close game to CF. Whereas conventional thought gives 100% value to a win, the metrics differentiate appropriately between a close win and close loss or close loss and blowout loss.

Strong Sark may do well but his resume isn't close to good enough to have a top 5 job. I hope he does well because if not he'll cry racism and it will only make other programs think twice about hiring a black tubby out of shape Joey's waitress chasing Armenian coach with no mental toughness thereby exacerbating that problem. I'd worry that he won't get the full support and buy in to do what he's trying to do. He doesn't yet have the credibility of a Charlie Weis Saban or Tyrone WillinghamPetersen for that matter.

FTFY
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,089 Founders Club
    Chip Kelly to Texas.
  • EsophagealFecesEsophagealFeces Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,954 Swaye's Wigwam
    Chip would rape the world at Texas.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,951 Founders Club

LIFPO, Kim
    He's going to fail. The season is over at Texas. He has failure written all over him.