Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

DMo couch sale

Comments

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The quality and quantity of high school football players is dwindling. UW needs to grab the best ones when it can, but the days of stocking up on state players are over.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,609
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

The quality and quantity of high school football players is dwindling. UW needs to grab the best ones when it can, but the days of stocking up on state players are over.

I hear this from time to time, but is there any data that supports it?

Football in WA state seems as strong as ever from a participation standpoint.

I know Cali is down, curious about this state and the country as a whole
  • Options
    RoadTripRoadTrip Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,300
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    TheHB said:

Seattle Times investigated this a few years ago and 11-man football in Washington declined by like 5,000 players over a five-year period. It hasn’t reversed that trend, especially with the crudemic.

Both sons played during the scamdemic and yes the numbers were way down. This year's freshman class at their HS was the largest in 4 or 5 years.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Maybe in a couple years things will turn around. But student populations in general aren’t growing. K-12 are expected to decline by more than 5% by 2030.
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,993
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    brents said:

TheHB said:

Case closed

STOp plagarism my shit fucko!
    20 posts in 9 years. I can shit post 20 times in 5 minutes.

You’re an excellent role model.
  • Options
    phineasphineas Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,724
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    jecornel said:

Tui, Huard’s, Locker.

Sizemore and Tui’s younger brother probably would have ended up in the league.

Washington preps used to put a fair amount of guys in the NFL at quarterback. It's been awhile

Flick, Pelluer, MIllen, Chandler, Conklin. Bledsoe, Hobart etc

sizemores dad was my little league coach

my claim to fame
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,570
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Perhaps a real football coach at UW will inspire dad's across the state to strap their kids into pads

I mean this is actually another thing though, people and families move around a lot more now. Doubly so for a lot of the football family and prep dudes who shop which high-school to play at.

The number of born-and-bred Huskies fans who shit purple and piss gold while growing up in Washington their whole life is also way down.

Reclaiming our "national brand" is more important than ever in this era.
    Petersen was on a decent trajectory despite some losses to Cristobol and Urban and decided to kill all of it.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,994
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited December 2023

TheHB said:

I hear this from time to time, but is there any data that supports it?

Football in WA state seems as strong as ever from a participation standpoint.

I know Cali is down, curious about this state and the country as a whole
    Some schools can barely field a team. In general participation is down not just in Washington but the west and Colorado.

Utah and Arizona are the exceptions out west. Screw the fence. Get the dudes.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I watched Penix beat Penn State with his legs as a freshman, but I just assumed his career was pretty much over since he was a running QB who had 46 knee injuries.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,600
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Canadawg said:

Perhaps a real football coach at UW will inspire dad's across the state to strap their kids into pads

I mean this is actually another thing though, people and families move around a lot more now. Doubly so for a lot of the football family and prep dudes who shop which high-school to play at.

The number of born-and-bred Huskies fans who shit purple and piss gold while growing up in Washington their whole life is also way down.

Reclaiming our "national brand" is more important than ever in this era.
    Migration within the US has been and is in decline.

https://www.census.gov/library/stories/2022/03/united-states-migration-continued-decline-from-2020-to-2021.html
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,233
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Canadawg said:

Perhaps a real football coach at UW will inspire dad's across Vancouver Island to strap their kids into pads

• Options
    CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,056
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Perhaps a real football coach at UW will inspire dad's across Vancouver Island to strap their kids into pads

https://www.goldstreamgazette.com/sports/from-one-dog-to-another-belmont-football-player-selects-college-557838

Watched him a bit a couple years ago in Fresno but most of the big guys are coming out of Alberta, Quebec and Ontario.

I'll have to write my local schools coaches a stern letter of disappointment
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,845
    Founders Club

brents said:

TheHB said:

Case closed

STOp plagarism my shit fucko!
    20 posts in 9 years. I can shit post 20 times in 5 minutes.

You’re an excellent role model.

When a Legend poasts from the grave, you respect that.

It’s what you do.