Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Mississippi State QB Will Rogers in transfer portal

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes

There are some very concerning stats when it comes to rogers. If you go through his actual game log, he puts up stats, against the shit teams. Check out his game long vs anyone who was considering top 25 and it's a very different qb. I'm not saying I could light up Vanderbilt(but i probably could). I'm very concerned that we're falling in love that he has a decent arm, and he's available. Not looking deeper into his actual performance against teams with a pulse.

TL:DR yes, Kalen still wins for football eval and what he can create with his abilities, however nothing about his stats or film are particularly interesting considering other options in the portal. For once, get a booster to write a check to cam ward and we can just move on. It would be especially fun since ward would be the ultimate FU to the mountain west bound cougs.

henear looked like dog shit at UW. who liked throwing the ball to opposing teams that his own teammates. he turned out pretty decent. this kids has higher ceiling than that kid
  • Options
    NeGgaPlEaSeNeGgaPlEaSe Member Posts: 5,729
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

For what it’s worth I think they need to very careful with handing out bags to guys who are going to instantly impact the team. I think this seems to be the strategy but giving a bag to someone who will not make a difference for a year or two just seems like a recipe for a toxic locker room.

That's what I wonder about too. Does a one-year rental at QB help us? next year when I think we know the overall team is going to take a bit of a step back? Wouldn't it be better to take a higher upside guy like a Murphy and let him develop over next year or two (and compete with Mack, and Davis, along the way) as we try to reload the barren cupboards left by Lake (and Peterman)?

I guess maybe it does if it keeps McMillan and/or Polk (and DJ?) around for one more year, and/or helps us land more offensive talent overall. If we take Rogers, it would seem to suggest we think there is a chance we? can keep those guys if we? can put a good value proposition on the table for them across NIL and potential blow-out stats again next year.
    Can’t you play your back up often? It’s paying off for Smith. He did this at Oregon State
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,542
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

For what it’s worth I think they need to very careful with handing out bags to guys who are going to instantly impact the team. I think this seems to be the strategy but giving a bag to someone who will not make a difference for a year or two just seems like a recipe for a toxic locker room.

That's what I wonder about too. Does a one-year rental at QB help us? next year when I think we know the overall team is going to take a bit of a step back? Wouldn't it be better to take a higher upside guy like a Murphy and let him develop over next year or two (and compete with Mack, and Davis, along the way) as we try to reload the barren cupboards left by Lake (and Peterman)?

I guess maybe it does if it keeps McMillan and/or Polk (and DJ?) around for one more year, and/or helps us land more offensive talent overall. If we take Rogers, it would seem to suggest we think there is a chance we? can keep those guys if we? can put a good value proposition on the table for them across NIL and potential blow-out stats again next year.
    i think we've seen the best of what rogers can offer in an "air raid" offense. He wasn't impressive in that type of offense where his entire job is just to chuck the ball. I don't see him as being such a huge upgrade over one of the other younger players that you may develop and have for 2-3 years. Ward being the exception where i think he could step in and dominate(and keep players around at the WR position). I don't think rogers convinces anyone to stay
    I know that stats are for losers, but I don't see how you can say he was not impressive in 2021/2022.

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
    142 237 59.9 1,626 6.9 12 4 65 130.9
    415 610 68.0 3,974 6.5 35 8 75 139.1
    505 683 73.9 4,739 6.9 36 9 56 147.0
    239 346 69.1 1,976 5.7 11 7 51 123.5
  • Options
    DoubleJDawgDoubleJDawg Member Posts: 598
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes

Can’t you play your back up often? It’s paying off for Smith. He did this at Oregon State
    I guess it comes down to whether you think Mack is ready to play after re-classifying a year?

Could a world exist where we? actually take 2 QBs out of the portal given the rather large "supply" this cycle? Our Duck half brain friends seem to think that's possible for them with Gabriel and (supposedly) Dante Moore. I don't see how that would work, unless you really pay the 2nd QB well, enough to take on the risk that they may not be the starter after QB1 moves on.
  • Options
    bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes

i think we've seen the best of what rogers can offer in an "air raid" offense. He wasn't impressive in that type of offense where his entire job is just to chuck the ball. I don't see him as being such a huge upgrade over one of the other younger players that you may develop and have for 2-3 years. Ward being the exception where i think he could step in and dominate(and keep players around at the WR position). I don't think rogers convinces anyone to stay
    I know that stats are for losers, but I don't see how you can say he was not impressive in 2021/2022.

CMP ATT CMP% YDS AVG TD INT LNG RTG
    142 237 59.9 1,626 6.9 12 4 65 130.9
    415 610 68.0 3,974 6.5 35 8 75 139.1
    505 683 73.9 4,739 6.9 36 9 56 147.0
    239 346 69.1 1,976 5.7 11 7 51 123.5
    I am not sure why you take too much away from his splits at Miss St. in the SEC. Miss St. had talent in spots but they were way behind Bama, LSU, Georgia, and A&M.
  • Options

I guess it comes down to whether you think Mack is ready to play after re-classifying a year?

Could a world exist where we? actually take 2 QBs out of the portal given the rather large "supply" this cycle? Our Duck half brain friends seem to think that's possible for them with Gabriel and (supposedly) Dante Moore. I don't see how that would work, unless you really pay the 2nd QB well, enough to take on the risk that they may not be the starter after QB1 moves on.
    Moore is visiting Oregon and no one else thus far. I guess it doesn't take half a brain to put two and two together. I don't think UW takes a 2nd qb and not because it's not possible. I think UW is much more bullish on Mack than Oregon staff was on Thompson and Novosad.
  • Options
    HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,525
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Standard Supporter

I don't think they take a 2nd portal QB because they took William Haskell to be the 3rd stringer this year and next.

Rogers will come in and compete with Mack (who will be a true frosh in 2025 in terms of age). If Mack is that good and advanced / mature, he'll start but he'd be better to be a RS-Soph to light it up for two years and then head to the NFL after his RS-JR year.

So the roster would be Rogers OR Mack, Haskell, and Davis (redshirting) in 2024.

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,298
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Next year I believe is the only year in the B1G scheduling cycle where we play 4 high-end programs (Michigan Penn State USC Oregon) plus Iowa is in the top half. After next year we only get 3 per year out of the B1G dogs (Mich tOSU PSU USC Oregon) and mix in more Wisconsins and Michigan States instead of the 4th big dog.

Whether USC belongs in that group is certainly debatable and they may suck next year but they are USC. They played in a NY6 last year and have won one unlike us in the 4 team era. I'm too lazy to find my B1G schedule ANALysis thread.

TLDR- we might step back just due to 2024 being a more challenging schedule, but 2025 and beyond it lightens more. Though for transfers to WASHINGTON in 2024 you get to play that schedule.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    whlinder said:

Next year I believe is the only year in the B1G scheduling cycle where we play 4 high-end programs (Michigan Penn State USC Oregon) plus Iowa is in the top half. After next year we only get 3 per year out of the B1G dogs (Mich tOSU PSU USC Oregon) and mix in more Wisconsins and Michigan States instead of the 4th big dog.

Whether USC belongs in that group is certainly debatable and they may suck next year but they are USC. They played in a NY6 last year and have won one unlike us in the 4 team era. I'm too lazy to find my B1G schedule ANALysis thread.

TLDR- we might step back just due to 2024 being a more challenging schedule, but 2025 and beyond it lightens more. Though for transfers to WASHINGTON in 2024 you get to play that schedule.

Good God life is about to get harder.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,130
    Founders Club
    FireCohen said:

There are some very concerning stats when it comes to rogers. If you go through his actual game log, he puts up stats, against the shit teams. Check out his game long vs anyone who was considering top 25 and it's a very different qb. I'm not saying I could light up Vanderbilt(but i probably could). I'm very concerned that we're falling in love that he has a decent arm, and he's available. Not looking deeper into his actual performance against teams with a pulse.

TL:DR yes, Kalen still wins for football eval and what he can create with his abilities, however nothing about his stats or film are particularly interesting considering other options in the portal. For once, get a booster to write a check to cam ward and we can just move on. It would be especially fun since ward would be the ultimate FU to the mountain west bound cougs.

henear looked like dog shit at UW. who liked throwing the ball to opposing teams that his own teammates. he turned out pretty decent. this kids has higher ceiling than that kid
    He threw one interception at Washington. His career UW stats were 9-of-13 for 107 yards, 1 TD/1 INT
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,257
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

FireCohen said:

He threw one interception at Washington. His career UW stats were 9-of-13 for 107 yards, 1 TD/1 INT
    Yeah, but still…
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,991
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes

FireCohen said:

My only problem was he didn't do everything within his power to win the game.
    He didn't have enough years under his belt

My problem is the Eason haters have a large correlation with the Haener lovers

Skinny gets a horrible rap on this board and he's 10 times better
    Nobody ever points this out but Eason was good with a clean pocket even though we had shit wr's.

Problem was our blocking schemes and wr's were worthless at times. See Stanford and Colorado that year. Admittedly he did wet the bed vs Utah. Outside of that game I never thought he was the problem.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,631
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

FireCohen said:

Nobody ever points this out but Eason was good with a clean pocket even though we had shit wr's.

Problem was our blocking schemes and wr's were worthless at times. See Stanford and Colorado that year. Admittedly he did wet the bed vs Utah. Outside of that game I never thought he was the problem.
    Eason had the arm to thrive in this offense. I don't think he had what it took mentally to go 13-0 though. Asking him to sling it like Penix would've made for some tough games with multiple picks. He still would've been good and provided a ton of highlights.
  • Options
    chuck said:

FireCohen said:

Eason had the arm to thrive in this offense. I don't think he had what it took mentally to go 13-0 though. Asking him to sling it like Penix would've made for some tough games with multiple picks. He still would've been good and provided a ton of highlights.
    It’s not like he started as a true freshman in the SEC for Georgia or anything…
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

Started based on physical potential, lost the job to a guy with 1/5 the arm talent, and transferred out.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    chuck said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

Started based on physical potential, lost the job to a guy with 1/5 the arm talent, and transferred out.
    That’s your opinion… Georgia obviously felt differently sorry dude that shit doesn’t happen at a school like that. He started as a sophomore until he got hurt. Never regained his position after getting hurt.

“ 2016: Played in all 13 games, making 12 starts...passed for 2430 yards (4th most by a UGA freshman) and 16 TDs this season...led two game-winning drives late in 4th quarter, both on the road: at Missouri and at Kentucky...among Davey O’Brien Foundation “Great 8” honorees for performance at Missouri ... passed for 308 yards and 3 TDs in win at Missouri ... his 55 pass attempts vs. the Tigers were the most for a Georgia quarterback since 2000, when Cory Phillips finished 36-for-62 in a game against Georgia Tech... delivered the game-winning TD pass to Isaiah McKenzie with 1:29 remaining on a 4th-and-10 play against Missouri...completed 27 of 40 passes for a career-high 346 yards vs. Vanderbilt...completed 17 of 28 passes for 211 yards and 2 TDs vs. Tennessee...also recovered a teammate's fumble for another TD vs. UT...made first career start vs. Nicholls and finished 11-of-20 for 204 yards and 1 TD ... became the sixth true freshman QB in school history to start a game ... came in on Georgia’s fourth possession of the game vs. North Carolina ... completed 8-of-12 passes for 131 yards and 1TD in collegiate debut ... early enrollee in the spring of 2016...recipient of the Green-Sands Football Scholarship.”

More credible than @chuck opinion …
    Sophomore season at Georgia
    “ named to Maxwell, Davey O’Brien and Manning Award pre-season watch lists.”

You aren’t named to that watch list because of “Physical Potential”
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

That’s your opinion… Georgia obviously felt differently sorry dude that shit doesn’t happen at a school like that. He started as a sophomore until he got hurt. Never regained his position after getting hurt.

“ 2016: Played in all 13 games, making 12 starts...passed for 2430 yards (4th most by a UGA freshman) and 16 TDs this season...led two game-winning drives late in 4th quarter, both on the road: at Missouri and at Kentucky...among Davey O’Brien Foundation “Great 8” honorees for performance at Missouri ... passed for 308 yards and 3 TDs in win at Missouri ... his 55 pass attempts vs. the Tigers were the most for a Georgia quarterback since 2000, when Cory Phillips finished 36-for-62 in a game against Georgia Tech... delivered the game-winning TD pass to Isaiah McKenzie with 1:29 remaining on a 4th-and-10 play against Missouri...completed 27 of 40 passes for a career-high 346 yards vs. Vanderbilt...completed 17 of 28 passes for 211 yards and 2 TDs vs. Tennessee...also recovered a teammate's fumble for another TD vs. UT...made first career start vs. Nicholls and finished 11-of-20 for 204 yards and 1 TD ... became the sixth true freshman QB in school history to start a game ... came in on Georgia’s fourth possession of the game vs. North Carolina ... completed 8-of-12 passes for 131 yards and 1TD in collegiate debut ... early enrollee in the spring of 2016...recipient of the Green-Sands Football Scholarship.”

Ok lol.
  • Options
    edited December 2023
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

FireCohen said:

Ok lol.
    GRAA
    I agree with your first statement however I don’t buy Georgia started him even as a sophomore based on physical potential. I won’t buy he made the Davey O’Brien and Manning pre-season watch list because of physical potential. I do agree maybe he didn’t have the mentally to go 13-0, few do. That’s what made Penix and this team special. So we can argue opinions all fucking day long. But those are facts. Georgia started him even as a sophomore and he made those watch lists