Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Coaches need to be grilled on these three things

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,551 Founders Club
The criminally horrific play calling in Coug territory on the final drive. You're in field goal range, and Penix is throwing twice into tight coverage and then takes a sack. I turned to my dad and yelled "Don James is spinning in his grave right now! Run Dillon Johnson up the middle twice, run the clock to :03, then kick the fucking field goal!"

Not starting Breuner all year when many of us were wondering why when all he does is make plays when he's in there. A modern day Chris Stevens.

Why are we not going underneath to Westy and Dillon Johnson out of the backfield all the time? I've been calling for that for about five weeks now.

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,551 Founders Club

Defense isn’t good but the defense keeps saving us. This shouldn’t be the case, but it is. As much as I want to hate our defense, they keep saving us.

I was actually pretty excited about the defense's improvement today, the bonehead penalties notwithstanding.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,551 Founders Club
    jecornel said:

The three plays before the winning FG was some of the worst football I’ve ever witnessed. I self admittedly lost my cool. Absolutely insane. Unforgivable.

I don't know about unforgivable, but it was insane and soooooo stupid.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,726
    He was in but he only blocks. Puzzling to say the least.

Good lord the whole reason why they recruited DJ was for his ability to catch the ball ...so what do we do? Not throwing the ball to him in space is a head scratcher.

Cuevas is the fastest TE on the roster but hey we don't like higher margins of victory so keep him on the bench.

• bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 15,128

The criminally horrific play calling in Coug territory on the final drive. You're in field goal range, and Penix is throwing twice into tight coverage and then takes a sack. I turned to my dad and yelled "Don James is spinning in his grave right now! Run Dillon Johnson up the middle twice, run the clock to :03, then kick the fucking field goal!"

Not starting Breuner all year when many of us were wondering why when all he does is make plays when he's in there. A modern day Chris Stevens.

Why are we not going underneath to Westy and Dillon Johnson out of the backfield all the time? I've been calling for that for about five weeks now.

The lack of intermediate, check downs and short timing routes that we refuse to take advantage of or even call is ridiculous. Penix couldn't hit people in stride either. Wildly inaccurate.

The time management before halftime and hamptons stupid penalty gave the cougs a free 11 points they otherwise don't have. Honestly just a terribly coached game.
    It felt like over half our passes were low percentage sideline go routes. Grubb can't help but call one of those every series and they have not worked sine the MSU game
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,020 Founders Club
    The only explanation is point shaving.
  • Bob_CBob_C Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,273 Swaye's Wigwam
    The bubble screens and middle screens were working and we gave up on them.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam
    PurpleJ said:

The only explanation is point shaving.

I think this is maybe the second time I've had this epiphany, but holy shit: This is how they're funding their big NIL program next year to take on the B1G! Washington secretly has a LOT of money on Not Washington.
  • gmogmo Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,729 Swaye's Wigwam
    was texting with my friend during the game who played in college and he was so confused at that final drive... he kept saying, "what are they doing?". It was like they were down 6 or something the way that they were playing.
  • DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,549 Founders Club
    gmo said:

was texting with my friend during the game who played in college and he was so confused at that final drive... he kept saying, "what are they doing?". It was like they were down 6 or something the way that they were playing.

I honestly think Grubb thought we were down a touchdown or something.

It made zero sense.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,540 Swaye's Wigwam
    gmo said:

I started asking that in October.
  • biak1biak1 Member Posts: 4,092
    As Derek mentioned in another thread, somebody needs to be holding Grubb accountable.