Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

New Hype Video

Comments

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

There was never and there will never be a time where we go undefeated every year, our coaches don't make mistakes and our kids play perfectly. There was never and there will never be a time when we go 10 years without blowing a bunch of games we shouldn't or getting close to a new level and don't quite get there.

However, that's not why I enjoy Husky football. I like it because it's a meaningful tradition for me and my family and the reason I hated Gilby/Ty/Sark was because they weren't living up to the standards for what we can be as a program. Rick wasn't in '01 and '02 either and Lambo had about 2 games his whole career where he looked like he could coach (as a HC).

Finally, we have a coach that comes here with the kind of pedigree everyone around here thought we should be able to hire in the first fucking place... I'm fucking excited.

The point of hating Ty/Gilby/Sark etc. wasn't saying anything but perfection should get a coach fired -- it was saying they don't mean the standards for fucking WASHINGTON (hi Aubs!) football.

How serious do we really need to be about this? Fuck Sark. He's gone and probably has a pretty bad suite of STDs to go along with his coke habit. He's where he belongs (well, obviously he belongs at a Chili's in Reseda weighing in at a busty 255 telling waitresses about his new gig as the OC for San Diego State, but whatever, that's quibbling) and fuck him.

I didn't become jaded because of Sark, I wanted him fucking gone so we could get a decent coach. We got one. We're about to start the season and I'm pumped.

Bring all the black and white footage and crisp fall afternoons on you want. Being a Doog is saying you wish Sark luck and that we should be thankful for his service. Being a Doog is embracing mediocrity and low standards.

Being a Doog is not looking at our 1990 team and thinking they didn't set a standard for us. Fuck that shit man.

If we're going to bash our 1990 team's Rose Bowl performance, I'm fucking OUT.

Sounds like you and your two dads had some crisp fall days at husky stadium. Walking to the stadium in a sea of purple and stuff.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Clearly the point that I was trying to make didn't come through well.

I'm not saying I'd be happy with 8-4 every year. But down years do happen. And if they do happen, then I want them to happen because we got the most out of team and that was the result. If that's the result, I want everybody to go back to the drawing board, the weight room, etc. and figure out how to make sure that 8-4 doesn't happen again.

And of course, there's always going to be situations where things don't work out, etc. down the road. However, there's countless examples of how great coaches make great impressions on kids and turn a life around. Maybe that makes me a sap, but that's one of the great things about college sports that I enjoy and makes me feel so strongly against the BS that people like Ed O'Bannon are trying to tear down.

Clearly a coach like Urban Meyer is a great coach. I obviously wouldn't hate him as the HC of the UW. However, at the same time, I feel like he's a professional coach coaching in college where winning is first, second, and third in importance. And winning is clearly important and not trying to belittle that fact.

However, I'm also not going to sit here and say that if you told me that we had a team full of Stringfellow's and Miles beating the shit out of people after the Super Bowl on the roster and the punishments were cursory to the point that there weren't any ramifications, then I'm not going to act like I'd be jumping up and down.

The strongest connections with teams are when the talent and results match the likability of the team. I'm not naive to think that the roster if full of choir boys. But at the same time, it makes it easier to root for guys like Ben Riva when they say that they are able to work in the offseason, etc and still be a good athlete.
  • Options
    SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member Posts: 2,056
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    I'm glad I'm wearing gym shorts this morning. Gym shorts >>>>>> sweat pants for many angles of attack.
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,952
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    edited July 2014

Tequilla said:

Anybody that thinks that you're going to win at the highest levels every year has never played sports in their life. Winning is hard. The margin that separates winning and losing is often very, very small.

The reason I fell in love with Washington and why Saturday afternoons during the Fall mean so much to me is because of what it represents. It represents tradition. It represents work. It represents effort. It represents doing your best and giving your all. It represents playing for the person next to you as much and more than playing for yourself. And when all of those things are done right, it represents excellence at the highest level.

This is a world class institution located in one of the best cities in the world. We (the University, its alumni, and supporters) should never accept that we're not good enough. The only limit on how good we can be is ourselves and what we consider to be acceptable or not.

If we go 8-4 each year and are representative of what want, then I'm ok with that if that's the best that we can do. But if we go 8-4, we should have a burning drive to want to be better than 8-4 the next year.

And if there's anything about the last 10+ years it has been that those that have been guiding the University of Washington football program have not possessed the kind of drive and determination to be anything less than accepting of being mediocre (or worse).

I know that this is cliche, but the role of a football coach at a University isn't just to win football games, it's also to prepare his players for life after college. The great coaches are the ones where you look at his players 20 years after they graduate and they are successful regardless of whether they played professionally. For the first time since Don James, we have a coach leading this program that I honestly feel is 100% behind the success of our players both on and off the field.

Your worst effort. I will mainly focus on the bolded part. That is such cliché, doogish thinking. It's a fine goal for a coach, but it's impossible. Don James had plenty of players that struggled in life after leaving UW. Peterman will too. I guess Urban Meyer isn't a great coach either if we use your criteria. I don't and never will give a fuck about the players. I feel bad when I read about the ones who struggle in life, but that's basic humanity that I feel towards almost anyone. I just want to see the program I love win.

Also, 8-4 isn't good. It's fine if it happens once every 4 years as long as a Rose Bowl and another 10+ win season is mixed in. I don't care if we have a team full of choir boys who are great representatives of the university. 8-4 is shit and should never be accepted.
    My mom worked with a guy who tutored UW jocks on the side and I remember hearing about how much better/pleasant/studious the players were to deal with around 2005 than a few years before. In the fall of 2000, I remember walking on that path between Kane Hall and the Quad, and there were always all these thuggish looking players at this one particular corner. Every. Morning. I didn't like it much (especially when they hit on this blonde I wanted to bang...FMB rejection, sad story - faggy sad face :( ), but then again, the team went 11-1 and had a weak argument for the national championship. Ideally, yeah, most/all of the players would take school seriously, have good standardized test scores, have real majors, get good grades, and volunteer at the Gospel Mission on Sunday and win, then graduate. That's pretty much impossible.

I got really frustrated and jaded during all the losing and pretty much have a win at most/all costs attitude now. I'd prefer a good graduation rate and low amounts of crime, meatheads beating up people at frat parties, doing other moronic stuff etc., but never in exchange for wins.
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    I don't think it's a world class institution. Nation class, yes.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,816
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    I remember a lot of guys on that 2000 era team that were really good guys ... there were also more than a few idiots as well.

Back then, I didn't think less of the team or how much I wanted it to win because of the bad guys. There was a member of the 2000 team that came up from behind me on the basketball court and punched me in the back of the head. There were more than a few meatheads. But at the same time, there were a handful of other guys on that team that I got along with very well and it was a lot easier to root for those guys to have success.

Take a guy like Jameis Winston. He's clearly a talented player and we all wouldn't have a problem if he was the QB of the UW from a talent standpoint. Now, he's got his off the field issues and comes across as something between a meathead and an idiot at times. Would I not root for the UW if he was the QB? Of course not. But at the same time, I'm not going to sing his praises as the greatest thing since sliced bread either.

Same thing with Cyler Miles. He's probably the best QB on the roster, he's done some stupid things, paid for them, and earned his right back on the team. I hold no ill will to him. But at the same time, I'm not going to sit there and embrace him as this great kid that is doing everything the right way. I don't care who you are, beating up women isn't something that you just make a "mistake" at.
  • Options
    AZDuckAZDuck Member Posts: 15,381
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Answer
    so much TL, DR
  • Options
    LoneStarDawgLoneStarDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 13,149
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

the 90% foreigners in my engineering class disagree
  • Options
    biak1biak1 Member Posts: 3,997
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    EE? ME? CE? DONGS?
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    I can vouch for EE

lol
  • Options
    ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    brchco12 said:

Sorry, but to be world-class you would need to crack the top 20. Scroll down to the bottom of this BBC report: http://www.bbc.com/news/education-24024767
    Sure the UW has a fine engineering dept, but not all the other depts. are all that great, and class sizes with casts of thousands diminish the interaction.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I remember a lot of guys on that 2000 era team that were really good guys ... there were also more than a few idiots as well.

Back then, I didn't think less of the team or how much I wanted it to win because of the bad guys. There was a member of the 2000 team that came up from behind me on the basketball court and punched me in the back of the head. There were more than a few meatheads. But at the same time, there were a handful of other guys on that team that I got along with very well and it was a lot easier to root for those guys to have success.

Take a guy like Jameis Winston. He's clearly a talented player and we all wouldn't have a problem if he was the QB of the UW from a talent standpoint. Now, he's got his off the field issues and comes across as something between a meathead and an idiot at times. Would I not root for the UW if he was the QB? Of course not. But at the same time, I'm not going to sing his praises as the greatest thing since sliced bread either.

Same thing with Cyler Miles. He's probably the best QB on the roster, he's done some stupid things, paid for them, and earned his right back on the team. I hold no ill will to him. But at the same time, I'm not going to sit there and embrace him as this great kid that is doing everything the right way. I don't care who you are, beating up women isn't something that you just make a "mistake" at.

As long as they aren't raping or murdering, I couldn't care less. Miles did one stupid thing. There are probably multiple players on UW who have done far worse things this offseason. The difference is they didn't get caught and didn't have String breaking cameras, and chasing down helpless 12's. When did Miles beat a woman? You need to read the story and police report again. To my knowledge, Miles did nothing but talk a little shit and possibly instigate.
  • Options
    RaccoonHarryRaccoonHarry Member Posts: 2,160
    That's TWO Husky hype videos in a row without Crazy Larry. I'm starting to get worried...
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,739
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

brchco12 said:

Sorry, but to be world-class you would need to crack the top 20. Scroll down to the bottom of this BBC report: http://www.bbc.com/news/education-24024767
    Sure the UW has a fine engineering dept, but not all the other depts. are all that great, and class sizes with casts of thousands diminish the interaction.
    Interaction a.k.a. you need the teacher to bail your ass out on a program/project.
  • Options
    SweatpantsGeneralSweatpantsGeneral Member Posts: 2,056
    Tequilla said:

I have a feeling this happened to you a lot.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Tequilla said:

Did he at least give you a courtesy reacharound?