Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Today's TBS News ...

TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
Looks like "Skinny" Eason, a top QB prospect in 2016 will be going to Georgia ...

I'm seeing on Twitter that it's getting interesting ...

I'm feeling confident in predicting that there will be many doogs that will claim that this is further evidence that Petersen can't recruit.

Now, I personally don't care because we have 4-star after 4-star of QBs on our roster and I'm confident in saying that we'll continue to sign high quality QBs with Petersen in charge.

However, one thing I do have to say, and this isn't a WDWHA complaint, but any QB that wants to lead a team that likes to call himself "Skinny" I personally don't think has the chops to be the QB of my team.

Comments

• doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    Who? (For people that don't stalk teen boiz)
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,559 Founders Club
    Tony Eason's kid?
  • GladstoneGladstone Member Posts: 16,419
    Does he have southern roots? A PNW kid going to Georgia...would be quite the culture shock.
  • MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    If the lemon party trio have a problem with Petersen then why aren't they going all unleashed on Woody for the shitty hire?
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    And how has 5-star in-state QBs worked out lately?

My personal opinion, but give me a QB from California more often than not b/c HS football in this state is really not that advanced when it comes to the passing game.
    I'm sure I'll take a hit for this, but I'm less concerned about in-state recruiting than most. I do care about getting the best class possible. In-state kids are generally easier to get than out of state kids. But it's not a given.

We complained about Sark's OL recruiting and notably called out his OL recruiting in-state. The reason we called out the in-state recruiting was because he didn't remedy it with his out of state recruiting. Petersen has "missed" on Throckmorton and Lemeiux ... the question is still in the end whether or not he recruits a solid OL class or not.
  • PurpleJPurpleJ Member Posts: 37,000 Founders Club
    We already landed a QB for this class. Looks like he has an offer from Alabama, too.
  • whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

I'm sure I'll take a hit for this, but I'm less concerned about in-state recruiting than most. I do care about getting the best class possible. In-state kids are generally easier to get than out of state kids. But it's not a given.

We complained about Sark's OL recruiting and notably called out his OL recruiting in-state. The reason we called out the in-state recruiting was because he didn't remedy it with his out of state recruiting. Petersen has "missed" on Throckmorton and Lemeiux ... the question is still in the end whether or not he recruits a solid OL class or not.

To me, right now, Petersen's only miss was with Throckmorton. Lemeiux, he didn't offer. And for Eason, Petersen offered only after everyone else did. Every other team in the country offered him before Petersen did and that's after Eason attended a dozen practices. Maybe Lemeiux and Eason aren't OKGs? Or maybe they have someone else above them both on their recruiting boards that they're going after. After all, we still have a decent shot at Roberts, Milo and Empey for OL and we have 5 QBs already with Browning for 2015. I'd panic if these were areas of desperate need but they aren't.
    PurpleJ said:

We already landed a QB for this class. Looks like he has an offer from Alabama, too.

I'm hearing that Browning is an OKG, unless you're going with the dogmen on that.
    Gladstone said:

Does he have southern roots? A PNW kid going to Georgia...would be quite the culture shock.

Lake Stevens? Not so much. North Georgia is mainly suburban/urban anyways.

The real question is where Warshington and Georgia fit in the hierarchy of d1 programs. UGA is trending down, Washington is trending up.

Who knows anyways, let it play out.

PurpleJ said:

I'm hearing that Browning is an OKG, unless you're going with the dogmen on that.
    That's okay. I'm hearing that Alabama is overrated, so that offer really isn't very impressive.
    PurpleJ said:

PurpleJ said:

That's okay. I'm hearing that Alabama is overrated, so that offer really isn't very impressive.
    That was more for Roaddawg, Ich bin einverstanden.
    RoadDawg,

This is my personal opinion and I'm lazy enough that I'm not going to go look up stats for you on this.

If you go back 20-30 year ago time period, HS football was mostly a 3 yard and a cloud of dust offense. Most teams in the state of Washington today don't throw the football THAT much ... although it's increasing. In contrast, when you watch games out of California, Texas, Florida, etc. you are finding more and more HS teams running what is essentially a college offense.

The names you named off (excluding Locker) were really HS QBs going back to the days before HS QBs across the board were throwing all over the place. And, in each of those cases, including Locker, all of those guys were NFL QBs.

Since Tui, what QBs other than Locker have come out of the State of Washington that have been worth a damn other than Kellen Moore that nobody in this conference thought was good enough to play there? Heaps has been an absolute bust. Jury is still out on Browne. Lindquist probably will never play a meaningful snap for the UW. Stanback was so-so.

Bottom line is that I'm just not concerned about it. Does the kid have talent? Probably. But as someone that grew up in the WesCo conference, the quality of play in that league is just not that great. There's going to be a massive talent jump that he'll have between High School and College. If it's me, I'd rather have the kid that has been playing in a high level California league that has already been playing against PAC level players on a week in and week out basis.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2014
    Teq, you can make that case for any player from WA vs California. Your post is basically a fancy way of saying California has better high school football than Washington. If Sark didn't get Sankey to switch from WSU, the narrative from many would be it doesn't matter because we already had the better players from Cali, Cooper and Callier. Many linemen from California played in more advanced offenses against better competition than Josh Garnett, who played for a .500 Puyallup team.

Since Locker, there hasn't been any QB's worthy of playing for UW. Once again, you seem stuck on the fact that California has better high school football. The only in state QB's since then with offers that went elsewhere were Heaps and Browne. Considering that information, Eason must be pretty fucking good to have offers from everyone before his junior year, including from UW. Florida State, Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Notre Dame, Michigan. That's a hell of a list. He's an elite recruit who will be either a 5 star or very high 4 star. Quit fooling yourself with the other bullshit. If he committed to UW, I guarantee you'd be singing a different tune.

Since Locker, there hasn't been any QB's worthy of playing for UW.

DIAFF
  • Mike_HonchoMike_Honcho Member Posts: 214
    Tequilla said:

And how has 5-star in-state QBs worked out lately?

My personal opinion, but give me a QB from California more often than not b/c HS football in this state is really not that advanced when it comes to the passing game.

Kellen Moore laughs at you
    That's BS RD ...

I do think that there's anywhere from 6-12 players in this state that in any given year are PAC caliber players. From an athletic standpoint, these kids are the equivalent of anybody. Guys like Kasen, ASJ, Budda, Sankey, Jonathan Stewart, etc have definitely proven that from an athletic sense, this state holds their own.

The last good QB to be developed in the State of Washington and perform at a high level in the PAC was Jake Locker (and we all like to debate how good he actually was). Before that it was Tui. Both of those guys were athletic freaks that developed from running systems in HS into being good/great college QBs. You could talk about and include Kellen Moore if you wanted to. But with Tui you are going back 15-20 years now. At best, you're looking at 3 QBs during that time period.

Bottom line is that this state has really struggled to produce high caliber QB talent. I do think that it's starting to get a bit better. However, it lags the rest of the positions in the state. It isn't helping that the most recent highly rated QBs have fallen on their face (Heaps) or haven't made their way through the depth chart (Browne).

Yes, this kid is highly rated. I haven't seen him play so I have no idea how good he is or not. I trust that we'll end up with a good QB in this class with or without him.

At the end of the day, no position is more closely tied to what a coach is specifically looking for and how a player fits the system that he wants to run than the QB position. There have been many talented guys fall on their face and a number of guys that seem pedestrian turn into great college QBs.

I'm not going to get pumped up if we got this kid and I'm not going to get down if we don't. I trust that Pete is going to get a good class and whether that means that the TBS stalkers consider it a "good" class or not I don't really give a shit about.
  • DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    Dear roaddawg and tequilla,
    I can't understand what you guys are arguing about. Is it about WA vs CA talent, or whether Eason is a WDWHA situaish?
    Sincerely, Dardanus