Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Today's TBS News ...

2»

Comments

• TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Dardanus,

RD thinks I'm WDWHA and saying CA > WA.

I'm not worried about our QB recruiting 18 months from the 2016 signing day and given the choice between WA or CA QBs right now, I'd error on taking the CA QB.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2014
    Tequilla said:

That's BS RD ...

I do think that there's anywhere from 6-12 players in this state that in any given year are PAC caliber players. From an athletic standpoint, these kids are the equivalent of anybody. Guys like Kasen, ASJ, Budda, Sankey, Jonathan Stewart, etc have definitely proven that from an athletic sense, this state holds their own.

The last good QB to be developed in the State of Washington and perform at a high level in the PAC was Jake Locker (and we all like to debate how good he actually was). Before that it was Tui. Both of those guys were athletic freaks that developed from running systems in HS into being good/great college QBs. You could talk about and include Kellen Moore if you wanted to. But with Tui you are going back 15-20 years now. At best, you're looking at 3 QBs during that time period.

Bottom line is that this state has really struggled to produce high caliber QB talent. I do think that it's starting to get a bit better. However, it lags the rest of the positions in the state. It isn't helping that the most recent highly rated QBs have fallen on their face (Heaps) or haven't made their way through the depth chart (Browne).

Yes, this kid is highly rated. I haven't seen him play so I have no idea how good he is or not. I trust that we'll end up with a good QB in this class with or without him.

At the end of the day, no position is more closely tied to what a coach is specifically looking for and how a player fits the system that he wants to run than the QB position. There have been many talented guys fall on their face and a number of guys that seem pedestrian turn into great college QBs.

I'm not going to get pumped up if we got this kid and I'm not going to get down if we don't. I trust that Pete is going to get a good class and whether that means that the TBS stalkers consider it a "good" class or not I don't really give a shit about.

I've been on board with Peterman before he was hired. Ease up on slurping everything he does before he's coached one game. You said wdwha with Thockmorton when he went to Oregon and said it was a good thing Oregon was only getting 3 star OL. Now, Eason is another wdwha. Go back to doogman with that shit. For the record, I'm not concerned about recruiting, but wdwha about two guys that Peterman offered is FS and something I would expect from Section14A to post. How much he really wanted them is something we don't know, but they had offers.

What is your point about QB's from Washington? Yeah, many haven't been good lately, but it's still painting with a broad brush. There are plenty of QB's from California that are busts too. What RB besides Sankey and Stewart (and if you want to count Jack) has been good from Washington? Any DE's? Any CB's besides Trufant and maybe the kid who went to Notre Dame? The QB talent the past 15 years seems on par to those other positions.

There are two QB's from Washington starting in the Pac 12 right now. I can't think of any RB's from Washington or WR's besides Rector that are starting. You are using that argument to fit your narrative, when it could be used for a number of different positions as well.
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member Posts: 30,123
    edited July 2014
    Here's some more info for you Teq. The QB's off the 4 best teams in the Pac 12 last year. Mariota (Hawaii), Hogan (Washington DC), Hundley (Arizona), Kelly (Idaho). None of them from California. The same arguments you make about Washington QB's can easily be made about Hawaii and Idaho QB's (not sure about Az or DC). But let's keep pretending the QB's from California are so superior.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    The "unofficial" scouting report that I had received on Throckmorton was that he looked more like a basketball player than a football player ... he had good feet and all that but wasn't as big/tall as one would expect. My comment regarding Oregon getting guys like Throckmorton was that you could make a very good argument that we've struggled to out recruit Oregon for OL recently. If Oregon's filling up their class on OL prospects that we either didn't want (Lemieux) or had questionable interest on (Throckmorton), that's a good thing for UW in my eyes as that gives us a better chance to get a player or two that we may not have gotten previously.

I'm not playing the WDWHA card and I'm not playing that I believe in everything Petersen is doing either. He took a class that was nothing last year when he took the job and put together what in my mind was a strong transition class. From a recruiting stand point, he hasn't done a single thing as of yet that makes me question whether or not he will end up with a good class. I'm definitely not going to get worried about losing what would amount to a 2nd TE in this class or a QB in the class of 2016 at this point. I would like to think that my track record would say that if Petersen's class ends up below expectations, I'll call him out for that.

Regarding the players in the state of Washington, there's going to be busts. My point being though that the guys that you'd think were going to be good, turned out to be pretty good:

2007: http://recruiting.scout.com/3/2007_Washington.html

Top prospect in the state was Iczbicki who turned into a bust. Next 3 were QBs that never panned out. #5 was Kellen Moore. Iweka I don't think ever qualified anywhere. Paulson if I recall right was decent for Oregon. McDowell was undersized but was at least a rotation player in the secondary. Nate Williams at #10 probably was the 2nd best in-state player in that class. A terrible in class year where nobody was really viewed that highly and Izbicki was the only 4-star in the class.

2008: http://recruiting.scout.com/3/2008_Washington.html

Top prospect was Middleton who had the physical tools but lacked the mental ones. Everette Thompson was a rotational player that was probably misused in college. Wouldn't call him a bust but you could argue that more was expected. Ta'amu was solid. Kearse was one of the best WRs in the history of the UW. Senio Kelemente was turned into a NFL player once switched to the OL. DeCastro turned into a 1st round NFL pick. Cody Bruns was a bit of a tweener - probably better suited to play at a high mid-major level than in the PAC. Guyton was a NFL draft pick and starter at Cal. Schaefer was a blah player but had his moments. Nick Cody started at Oregon for a couple of years. Bronson was obviously a bust. Justin Glenn was probably underrated as a player. Very strong in-state year.

2009: http://recruiting.scout.com/3/2009_fb_west_150.html

Top in-state player was Gino Simone who wasn't viewed as being a major PAC contributor coming out of HS as he was a bit undersized. The next prospect was Deandre Coleman who was a starter at Cal and is now in the NFL. Next was Kirby Moore who was never viewed as being a PAC player and went to Boise. Travis Long turned into a player for the Cougs. Next ranked was Nolan Washington - don't even remember him with the Cougs. The player that was probably missed the most by the TBS guys was Desmond Trufant who Sark targeted immediately. Trufant ended up living up to the hype he was given as Marcus' younger brother in what was a piss poor in-state class.

2010: http://recruiting.scout.com/3/2010_Washington.html

Heaps has been beaten to death as a bust. Sione Potoae was a tweener that never turned into more than a rotational player. Colin Porter would have been a player if not for a medical retirement. Aaron Dunn left WSU to play hoops at Western. Chris Young had to go the JuCo route and is a player at Arizona St as we all expected him to be. Rest of the class was full of tweeners (Jamaal Kearse) and unspectacular players ... Ben Riva was undervalued by the TBS system and has turned into a nice PAC player.

4 years isn't a lot of data, but generally speaking, most of the players that we expected to be good players turned into good players out of this state. The biggest busts being Izbicki, Middleton (mental headcase), and Heaps. But most OL and skill position players ended up living up to the hype.

• whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,713 Swaye's Wigwam
    Tequilla said:

The "unofficial" scouting report that I had received on Throckmorton was that he looked more like a basketball player than a football player ... he had good feet and all that but wasn't as big/tall as one would expect. My comment regarding Oregon getting guys like Throckmorton was that you could make a very good argument that we've struggled to out recruit Oregon for OL recently. If Oregon's filling up their class on OL prospects that we either didn't want (Lemieux) or had questionable interest on (Throckmorton), that's a good thing for UW in my eyes as that gives us a better chance to get a player or two that we may not have gotten previously.

I'm not playing the WDWHA card and I'm not playing that I believe in everything Petersen is doing either. He took a class that was nothing last year when he took the job and put together what in my mind was a strong transition class. From a recruiting stand point, he hasn't done a single thing as of yet that makes me question whether or not he will end up with a good class. I'm definitely not going to get worried about losing what would amount to a 2nd TE in this class or a QB in the class of 2016 at this point. I would like to think that my track record would say that if Petersen's class ends up below expectations, I'll call him out for that.

Regarding the players in the state of Washington, there's going to be busts. My point being though that the guys that you'd think were going to be good, turned out to be pretty good:

Top prospect in the state was Iczbicki who turned into a bust. Next 3 were QBs that never panned out. #5 was Kellen Moore. Iweka I don't think ever qualified anywhere. Paulson if I recall right was decent for Oregon. McDowell was undersized but was at least a rotation player in the secondary. Nate Williams at #10 probably was the 2nd best in-state player in that class. A terrible in class year where nobody was really viewed that highly and Izbicki was the only 4-star in the class.

Top prospect was Middleton who had the physical tools but lacked the mental ones. Everette Thompson was a rotational player that was probably misused in college. Wouldn't call him a bust but you could argue that more was expected. Ta'amu was solid. Kearse was one of the best WRs in the history of the UW. Senio Kelemente was turned into a NFL player once switched to the OL. DeCastro turned into a 1st round NFL pick. Cody Bruns was a bit of a tweener - probably better suited to play at a high mid-major level than in the PAC. Guyton was a NFL draft pick and starter at Cal. Schaefer was a blah player but had his moments. Nick Cody started at Oregon for a couple of years. Bronson was obviously a bust. Justin Glenn was probably underrated as a player. Very strong in-state year.

Top in-state player was Gino Simone who wasn't viewed as being a major PAC contributor coming out of HS as he was a bit undersized. The next prospect was Deandre Coleman who was a starter at Cal and is now in the NFL. Next was Kirby Moore who was never viewed as being a PAC player and went to Boise. Travis Long turned into a player for the Cougs. Next ranked was Nolan Washington - don't even remember him with the Cougs. The player that was probably missed the most by the TBS guys was Desmond Trufant who Sark targeted immediately. Trufant ended up living up to the hype he was given as Marcus' younger brother in what was a piss poor in-state class.

Heaps has been beaten to death as a bust. Sione Potoae was a tweener that never turned into more than a rotational player. Colin Porter would have been a player if not for a medical retirement. Aaron Dunn left WSU to play hoops at Western. Chris Young had to go the JuCo route and is a player at Arizona St as we all expected him to be. Rest of the class was full of tweeners (Jamaal Kearse) and unspectacular players ... Ben Riva was undervalued by the TBS system and has turned into a nice PAC player.

4 years isn't a lot of data, but generally speaking, most of the players that we expected to be good players turned into good players out of this state. The biggest busts being Izbicki, Middleton (mental headcase), and Heaps. But most OL and skill position players ended up living up to the hype.

You are really generous if you're calling McDowell a rotation player. Guy should have never been on a Pac-12 football field.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Peterman. Can't. Close. (at this level)
  • CaptainPJCaptainPJ Member Posts: 2,986
    Dardanus said:

Dear roaddawg and tequilla,
    I can't understand what you guys are arguing about. Is it about the blicks, as always?
    Sincerely, Dardanus

• oregonblitzkriegoregonblitzkrieg Member Posts: 15,288
    edited July 2014
    This is all really interesting, but what does it have to do with Oregon?
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,043 Standard Supporter

Very generous to not label Potaoe a huge bust. #4 DT, 2 spots away from being a 5 star. He's a bigger bust than Middleton. We got more out of Middleton his sophomore year than Potaoe in 4 years. Calling him a rotational player is a compliment.

Tequilla, your post has very little to do with the argument. You want your narrative to be true, but it's been shredded at every turn. Jake Heaps being a bust has nothing to do with Eason. If you can't or don't want to understand that, I can't help you.

Tequilla said:

I'm too lazy to look but wasn't Connor holiday the same class as nick Montana? Holiday is not great but twice the player of nick Montana. Holiday came from whatever league they have in Spokane out there vs Montana playing at powerhouse in SoCal.

There are busts everywhere. There is no trend of wa kids failing at the qb position.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Shit. Doogman. Belongs.
  • puppylove_sugarsteelpuppylove_sugarsteel Member Posts: 9,133

Tony Eason's kid?

Nephew
  • SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,358 Founders Club
    I think HH really needs a TBS bored. Move this shit all to one place.
  • TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Swaye said:

I think HH really needs a TBS bored. Move this shit all to Doogman where it belongs.

• HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295

Swaye said:

I think HH really needs a TBS bored. Move this shit all to Doogman where it belongs.

Doogman content superiority guy