Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Pac-12 Power Rankings Week Four

Comments

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,375
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    bisonduck said:

TheHB said:

I like to call short passes an extension of the run game. I do that.

Philosophically you can hate it. That said, it doesn’t mean Nix cannot process the play when it’s a designed throw behind the LOS.
    Of course. And I think Nix is a good QB. I still think he is quicker to check down and/or run than Penix is. Regardless of the play call. That's all. Not really a knock, but I know you guys like to find slights even when they're not there. (Hi Dan Lanning!)
  • Options
    bisonduckbisonduck Member Posts: 714
    5 Up Votes First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    edited September 2023
    Also, is everyone here saying Polk is better than Troy Franklin? It seems to be the consensus.
  • Options
    TheHB said:

bisonduck said:

TheHB said:

I like to call short passes an extension of the run game. I do that.

Philosophically you can hate it. That said, it doesn’t mean Nix cannot process the play when it’s a designed throw behind the LOS.
    Of course. And I think Nix is a good QB. I still think he is quicker to check down and/or run than Penix is. Regardless of the play call. That's all. Not really a knock, but I know you guys like to find slights even when they're not there. (Hi Dan Lanning!)
    I think Bo might have scrambled 3x on a designed pass plays and each time it extended the drive. Also, it’s not a check down if play is required to be behind the LOS. I didn’t take it as a slight. I didn’t take it as a slight. It’s just wrong.

There’s a lot of RPOs with throws that are required behind the LOS because of the blocking scheme.

A check down by definition should be a throw behind the sticks when there are vertical routes beyond the sticks.

• Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    bisonduck said:

TheHB said:

Sources said:

dtd said:

Nix is not a clutch QB.

Nix is skittish in the pocket and an unsure passer.

Doog bullshit.

Define clutch. He had game winning last minute drives against WSU, and UNC in the bowel game, last year. He played on 1 leg in the win against Utah when everyone, including myself, thought it was going to be a bloodbath. The UW and OS losses are all time nut kicks I will never forget, but Nix had 600 yards and 5 TDs in those 2.

He's also constantly looking down field and going for big plays instead of running the ball. He's the opposite of skittish, he's in total command.

Oh, and I spent $400 to drive up to Dallas to watch him lead a last minute drive to beat Oregon(nothing else matters).

And yes, UW/UO is a name your score game for the Huskies this year, and I have come to peace with that. FYFMFE.
    I agree with most of this, but Nix is not a guy who looks downfield "constantly"

Well, he might look downfield, but he is is quicker to pull the trigger on check downs and runs than Penix ... for a variety of reasons.
    On many of those throws we have blockers downfield and the throw has to be behind the LOS. Those are an extension of the run game.

It’s like many of you don’t watch Oregon.

It's because we do watch Oregon that the 80% completion percentage is meaningless.

At least half his passes against CU were at or behind the LOS.

Oregon's weapons on the outside are impressive and if no one can stop it then there's no reason to do anything different. But there's no point comparing Nix's numbers (or the pass protection numbers) to anyone else. Oregon's passing attack this year makes the Air Raid look vertical.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,847
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

DucksFC said:

I almost thought this was the Duck bored with all this dooging and quooking bullshit.

UW/UO game will be a pick your score. Both teams offense with the best of them, and defense questionably. First team to not shit their pants and actually play pass defense wins.

Oregon is getting boat raced at Huskieieiie Stadium

Take all the screenshots you need
    Agree.

#BringYourOwnPlunger

• Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,639
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

bisonduck said:

TheHB said:

Sources said:

dtd said:

Nix is not a clutch QB.

Doog bullshit.

Define clutch. He had game winning last minute drives against WSU, and UNC in the bowel game, last year. He played on 1 leg in the win against Utah when everyone, including myself, thought it was going to be a bloodbath. The UW and OS losses are all time nut kicks I will never forget, but Nix had 600 yards and 5 TDs in those 2.

He's also constantly looking down field and going for big plays instead of running the ball. He's the opposite of skittish, he's in total command.

Oh, and I spent $400 to drive up to Dallas to watch him lead a last minute drive to beat Oregon(nothing else matters).

And yes, UW/UO is a name your score game for the Huskies this year, and I have come to peace with that. FYFMFE.
    I agree with most of this, but Nix is not a guy who looks downfield "constantly"

Well, he might look downfield, but he is is quicker to pull the trigger on check downs and runs than Penix ... for a variety of reasons.
    On many of those throws we have blockers downfield and the throw has to be behind the LOS. Those are an extension of the run game.

It's because we do watch Oregon that the 80% completion percentage is meaningless.

Oregon's weapons on the outside are impressive and if no one can stop it then there's no reason to do anything different. But there's no point comparing Nix's numbers (or the pass protection numbers) to anyone else. Oregon's passing attack this year makes the Air Raid look vertical.
    If you can throw a bunch of sideways passes and succeed, why not? Especially because it probably slows pass rush and spreads out defenses for run game success. Outside of Franklin, and Irving as a receiver somewhat, are their outside weapons really that impressive? After Franklin the receivers have looked pretty JAGy thus far and have maybe had 100 yards in their two games against P5 opponents, including Colorado's awful D.
    bisonduck said:

Also, is everyone here saying Polk is better than Troy Franklin? It seems to be the consensus.

Stats are comparable. I've been super impressed with Polk so far. Hard to say because you could say Franklin should get credit for doing it without Odunze and McMillan distracting coverage but you could also say Polk might be even more productive and impressive if he was a clear number one target.
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    Oregon’s other WRs are Tez Johnson, Gary Bryant Jr and Taeshon Holden. Tez is an absolute mismatch in the slot. Oregon doesn’t throw it 50x downfield so production is meaningless.

They’re not as good as UWs trio but probably the best collection at Oregon that I can remember.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes

dnc said:

bisonduck said:

TheHB said:

Sources said:

dtd said:

Nix is not a clutch QB.

Doog bullshit.

If you can throw a bunch of sideways passes and succeed, why not? Especially because it probably slows pass rush and spreads out defenses for run game success. Outside of Franklin, and Irving as a receiver somewhat, are their outside weapons really that impressive? After Franklin the receivers have looked pretty JAGy thus far and have maybe had 100 yards in their two games against P5 opponents, including Colorado's awful D.
    bisonduck said:

Stats are comparable. I've been super impressed with Polk so far. Hard to say because you could say Franklin should get credit for doing it without Odunze and McMillan distracting coverage but you could also say Polk might be even more productive and impressive if he was a clear number one target.
    I wouldn't trade weapons with them by any means but they have been really good at making people miss and turning those screens into very positive yards. They seem to block pretty well on the outside too.
  • Options
    From what I’ve seen, Polk has elite hands. Troy Franklin has an elite release off the line. The dude is constantly wide open.

Tez Johnson will be the quickest on the field.

This should be an absolute battle royale.
  • Options
    DucksFCDucksFC Member Posts: 1,120
    First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    edited September 2023
    Might Quook here a bit, but IMO Troy and Rome are on the same tier. Both elite top 5 level receivers in the country. After that, Tez/Holden/Bryant are far better than any further options we've had for years, but they're a step below McMillan/Polk. I do love Tez, perfect slot guy.

For us? I think the guy who makes or breaks the offense for the game is Bucky. I know this bored likes him too. He's my favorite Duck RB since LMJ, fucking beast. If UW stops him we? probably lose.

Defensively, I don't know. We? looked fantastic against a GOOD Colorado team, but sucked ass against Texas Tech. Though part of the issue with TTU was that we? haven't defended a running QB since football started for us (1994).
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    DucksFC said:

Might Quook here a bit, but IMO Troy and Rome are on the same tier. Both elite top 5 level receivers in the country. After that, while Tez/Holden/Bryant are far better than any further options we've had for years, they're a step below McMillan/Polk. I do love Tez, perfect slot guy.

For us? I think the guy who makes or breaks the offense for the game is Bucky. I know this bored likes him too. He's my favorite Duck RB since LMJ, fucking beast. If UW stops him we? probably lose.

Defensively, I don't know. We? looked fantastic against a GOOD Colorado team, but sucked ass against Texas Tech. Though part of the issue with TTU was that we? haven't defended a running QB since football started for us (1994).

Game will be decided by QB play. Let’s see who shits the bed first.
    If Rome/McMillan/Polk are healthy not sure there is a defense in this country can stop them
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

DucksFC said:

Might Quook here a bit, but IMO Troy and Rome are on the same tier. Both elite top 5 level receivers in the country. After that, while Tez/Holden/Bryant are far better than any further options we've had for years, they're a step below McMillan/Polk. I do love Tez, perfect slot guy.

If Rome/McMillan/Polk are healthy not sure there is a defense in this country can stop them
    agreed. If our DBs can actually handle them I'll probably go full Quook because that would be one hell of an accomplishment.

the QB duel will be legendary.
  • Options
    DucksFC said:

FireCohen said:

DucksFC said:

agreed. If our DBs can actually handle them I'll probably go full Quook because that would be one hell of an accomplishment.

If your DB room can handle them… then that is best DB room in the country…no question. Cal game could have been far worse if McMillan was healthy
  • Options
    FireCohen said:

DucksFC said:

FireCohen said:

DucksFC said:

If your DB room can handle them… then that is best DB room in the country…no question. Cal game could have been far worse if McMillan was healthy
    Jackson/Florence are very good. They completely shut down Shedeur and Colorado's receivers. But UW is a far bigger task. Also they need to stay healthy because Bridges is mid, Manning is trash and the freshmen are too young.
  • Options
    DucksFC said:

FireCohen said:

DucksFC said:

FireCohen said:

DucksFC said:

Jackson/Florence are very good. They completely shut down Shedeur and Colorado's receivers. But UW is a far bigger task. Also they need to stay healthy because Bridges is mid, Manning is trash and the freshmen are too young.
    Not sure you can even compare WR rooms, caz hunter was out. But OL at Colorado is not great, not saying UW is amazing but significantly better. Hopefully both teams win and we have 2 weeks to talk shit
  • Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Colorado does not have a “good offense”.

That team is shit. Both lines are garbage. TCU isn’t a good team… I will say that was still a good win for Colorado though as I thought they had no chance.

Then they beat a perennial shitty Nebraska team whom I’m certain had averaged 4 points a game for a decade.

Good statement game by Oregon but Colorado is really bad.

That being said this sets up a perfect upset against USC at home.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,601
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

That team is shit. Both lines are garbage. TCU isn’t a good team… I will say that was still a good win for Colorado though as I thought they had no chance.

Then they beat a perennial shitty Nebraska team whom I’m certain had averaged 4 points a game for a decade.

Agree about CU. They’ve gotten progressively worse on offense with each game.
  • Options

Agree about CU. They’ve gotten progressively worse on offense with each game.
    teams have figured out you just bull rush Shedeur every down. dude doesn't get rid of the ball and his shitty RBs can't block.