Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

TBS: Just the Facts, Jack

OK. So I am pretty tired of the idiots over at Dawgman having no idea what they are talking about when they are trying to prop up Sark and bring down Petersen. Lately the refrain over there by The Lemon Party Trio and some of their followers has been that Sark was the most amazing recruiter in the world, and that we should be very worried about Petersen because he has never recruited athletes like this before when he was at Boise. In fact, according to those on Dawgman, we should be worried about Petersen getting a top 25 class at Washington. So I decided to actually look into, you know, actual facts to see if this is a valid concern. The following chart is what I found:

Here are 5 facts:

- In the 13 years of data that I compiled 8 of those years UW ended up with a class in the Top 25. Rick did it twice, Gilby did it in his one year, Willingham did it once, and Sark did it 4 times.

- There are two outliers in this case, both of them transition years. One year was Willingham's first when he finished at 55, the other was Sark's first year when he finished at 66.

- Petersen's first class at UW, during a transition year, resulted in a class ranking of 35.

_ Petersen's first class had an average star rating of 3. This is the 6th best average star rating class in the 13 years recorded.

- Sarkisian's first class was the lowest rated class in the 13 years recorded.

If people want to be stupid and jump to conclusions about Petersen and his recruiting, they also better admit that the same concerns should have been brought up about Sarkisian's recruiting when he first started. Clearly, Sark got his recruiting momentum going after his first class (although there are holes in those classes, as will be shown in later posts), so who is to say that Petersen can't get better after his first class?

The main point of this is to show that whoever is coaching the University of Washington will be able to bring in highly regarded classes. Tyrone Willingham, a man who outwardly admitted to not liking recruiting, recruited at a high enough level after his first year that anyone who actually knew how to coach could have had more success with. He also did so at a time when the program was at historic lows.

TL;DR Version: Shut the fuck up Dawgman idiots and let it PLAY THE FUCK OUT when it comes to recruiting.

Comments

• Options
    CokeGreaterThanPepsiCokeGreaterThanPepsi Member Posts: 7,646
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker

Yeah, but still.

Well played, that is about the response that this would get if I still posted over at doogman.
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    Founders Club
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Your best effort ...

I will go pour myself a spiked Coke for your efforts.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,067
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

Peterman, Bonerpoppa, Chode, Pees, and the rest will just walk in, drop their 11-win dicks on the table and say, "impressive, isn't it? sign on the line if you want to play for a winner"

That's pretty much what I always envisioned Saban doing. Shit works.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper
    I couldn't help but notice your bar chart color choice for the Ty W years.
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,578
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I agree with Cunt here. If Peterman ends up being successful here, he will end up with some great classes in the future. We have a great program, great fans, money, new facilities, and a winning team would make us very competitive for blue chip type recruits.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I couldn't help but notice your bar chart color choice for the Ty W years.

Al Sharpton will be in touch.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Honest question: are the TBS star ratings assigned via a consensus from all scout/rivals people? Or are they rated based on one person's opinion?

I am not saying the star rating system is terrible- I know that for the most part, teams with top-25 recruiting classes are the same teams that end up in the top-25 rankings. But, if a person (ecktard) is assigning stars and is also complaining about a coach, is it possible that his biased opinion could affect the players' rating?

In other words, if he goes into it with the attitude "peterman can't recruit at this level", could he give a player 3 stars instead of 4 because he subconsciously believes that peterman can't recruit 4-star guys? I honestly don't know...maybe he doesn't have that much control over it?
  • Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,578
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Take the stars with a grain of salt. Look at the offer sheets. I trust D-1 coaches to evaluate talent much more than I trust a bunch of NAMBLA motherfuckers.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Dardanus said:

Honest question: are the TBS star ratings assigned via a consensus from all scout/rivals people? Or are they rated based on one person's opinion?

I am not saying the star rating system is terrible- I know that for the most part, teams with top-25 recruiting classes are the same teams that end up in the top-25 rankings. But, if a person (ecktard) is assigning stars and is also complaining about a coach, is it possible that his biased opinion could affect the players' rating?

In other words, if he goes into it with the attitude "peterman can't recruit at this level", could he give a player 3 stars instead of 4 because he subconsciously believes that peterman can't recruit 4-star guys? I honestly don't know...maybe he doesn't have that much control over it?

No idea now, but many years ago Ektard used to insist he had nothing to with rankings. Other fat people do those.
  • Options
    PassionPassion Member Posts: 4,622
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment

I mentioned something similar a few months ago. In fact if you look at the ranking of the class by average stars and not points, it even makes the point stronger. The HC at UW will always bring in a top 25 class if its a non transition year.

The other point is that many of the top recruits of Sark & Ty also never panned out for a host of reasons. In Sark's classes 2010 & 2011, less than half of the guys in both classes started more than a handful of games. I quickly counted and there were about 11-12 in the 2010 class and 9 in the 2011 class.

The 2012 class is already a fucking mess. Wallace, Vatuvei, McDaniel, Dean, Auelua, Wilson, Rodgers are already gone. Nearly third of the fucking class was done before it even reached two years in the program. The JC guys Coons and Banks are gone. Turpin, Darien Washington, Hindy, Wooching & Lindquist figure not to start more than a few games. Then there are a few other lineman who should be depth players but will be forced to start because of Sark's recruiting failures.

Here is where the difference will be. Petersen will probably bring in 2 less 4/5* guys than Sark did per class. Mind you, its really Sark + hired mercenary Tosh, bc without him Sark's recruiting was terrible other than in his first "real" class. Anyway, instead of only having 8-12 of the 24 recruits contributing on the field, Petersen's classes will have 14-17. Petersen won't have random holes at a position or two each year like we see at safety and punter now and then OL next year.

OKGs.