Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

I'm not your buddy, guy pole (aka which offends you the most?)

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Pal

I probably wouldn’t appreciate being called any of these except “boss”, but even that doesn’t completely sit right.

The preferred way to address me is “yes, mistress.”

Notice that I left off "Mister". Fuck that.

That's the moment where IU's character realizes that Park Dong-hoon is standing at the Han River Bridge and is thinking about jumping. Pretty dramatic scene as she goes running to him.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,065
    Founders Club
    Pal

I probably wouldn’t appreciate being called any of these except “boss”, but even that doesn’t completely sit right.

ISWYDT for Derek.

“Mister” is pretty lame. You better be a kid in a 1950s sitcom if you’re gonna be throwing that term around…and it probably should have a lead in of “golly” or “geez”.
    It was a poor translation into English but there's simply no near equivalent in Korean-to-English for "ahjussi"
  • Options
    El_KEl_K Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 1,100
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Name Dropper
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Guy

El_K said:

They are all shitty. But the winner is Guy for me and it isn’t even close. Calling someone guy was big thing like in the 90’s and possibly to this day and to me it was a big fuck you by whomever said it.

Like, “hey Guy”. Or “what’s going on guy.” One of my biggest pet peeves ever. It was a bigger pet peeve when the person calling you guy knew your name!

My friends and I would talk about how we all hated it and we always prepared ourselves with a comeback with a few of the options above. Sport. Champ. Pal. Chief. Boss. Captain. Skipper. Mixed all those in when we were called guy.

If you'd call someone "guy" while walking the hallways of Woodinville High School in 1987, you'd likely have your ass handed to you.
    I wouldn’t throw down, but a serious wtf look would be shown their way and still to this day. Like some ultra popular guy calling you guy. Like WTF? I have known you since 5th grade! Call me by my name. Not the gay Timmy Chalamet version, but just have some respect.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Buddy (or bud)
    I was getting new tires on my commuter the other day, in ducktard land, and the manager dude kept calling me boss.

It started when the tire change dudes, techs I guess they're called, stripped my lug key after removing the keyed stud from 3/4 wheels. They had fully changed the two rear but only removed lugs from one of the front at that point.

So he comes and tells me all about it, calling me boss in virtually every sentence, and informing me the following: they can put my new, rear tires on with four studs only, leave my old right front on with 4, and that I'll have to go find another matching key for the left front and to finish the project. Or they can throw the unmounted new tires in back, refund half of the fee I payed for mounting and balancing, and I can leave that way. "It should be pretty safe with 4 studs per wheel, boss," he tells me repeatedly.

I ended up finding one at a dealership only a few miles away and came back with it. "Oh great boss," he says. "I'll put you back at the top of the list when a bay opens.". "Oh, hey boss did you get a receipt for that key? I can refund you for it boss".

Yeah, boss is irritating too and it's definitely a gas pumping, tire changing type of crowd who uses it. It doesn't bug me like being called bud or buddy though. Those are usually intentional insults. He was just trying to be personable.
  • Options
    Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,252
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited August 2023
    I had a "supervisor" drop 3 "Buddys" on me a couple of months ago, and upon hearing the third one, I just snapped. "Don't call me Buddy. I'm not your Buddy. I'm old enough to be your father"...A co-worker (unfortunately) overheard it, and almost shit himself, then told several others, and I became a "Legend"...

I went to the big Boss (Hardy-har) and told him it was disrespeckful, and I would not be taking shit from anyone, him included. He agreed...

Things you can say when you are about to retire for $200, Alex...

EDIT: The only Bros I have ever uttered are to my bro-in-laws...it's our thing
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Boss
    chuck said:

I was getting new tires on my commuter the other day, in ducktard land, and the manager dude kept calling me boss.

It started when the tire change dudes, techs I guess they're called, stripped my lug key after removing the keyed stud from 3/4 wheels. They had fully changed the two rear but only removed lugs from one of the front at that point.

So he comes and tells me all about it, calling me boss in virtually every sentence, and informing me the following: they can put my new, rear tires on with four studs only, leave my old right front on with 4, and that I'll have to go find another matching key for the left front and to finish the project. Or they can throw the unmounted new tires in back, refund half of the fee I payed for mounting and balancing, and I can leave that way. "It should be pretty safe with 4 studs per wheel, boss," he tells me repeatedly.

I ended up finding one at a dealership only a few miles away and came back with it. "Oh great boss," he says. "I'll put you back at the top of the list when a bay opens.". "Oh, hey boss did you get a receipt for that key? I can refund you for it boss".

Yeah, boss is irritating too and it's definitely a gas pumping, tire changing type of crowd who uses it. It doesn't bug me like being called bud or buddy though. Those are usually intentional insults. He was just trying to be personable.

Nailed it. "Boss" is the purview of pump jockeys and tire change bros. Also, what are you doing not going to Discount Tire? I've bought like 10 sets of tires from those guysm in the past 20 years and never had a fuck up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Buddy (or bud)

chuck said:

Nailed it. "Boss" is the purview of pump jockeys and tire change bros. Also, what are you doing not going to Discount Tire? I've bought like 10 sets of tires from those guysm in the past 20 years and never had a fuck up.
    Haha that was Discount Tire in Gresham.

I'm done with Les Schwab. I'll keep my account open but I never intend to buy tires from them again. I would've payed over $800 there for shittier tires. I got out of discount tire for under $600 and had my choice of a number of good sets in that range from the likes of Toyo, Goodyear, Michelin, and Continental. Whatever Schwab is selling has names like Pride, Battle tech, and some even gayer names than that...for all season passenger tires.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,938
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited August 2023
    Boss
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Haha that was Discount Tire in Gresham.

I'm done with Les Schwab. I'll keep my account open but I never intend to buy tires from them again. I would've payed over $800 there for shittier tires. I got out of discount tire for under $600 and had my choice of a number of good sets in that range from the likes of Toyo, Goodyear, Michelin, and Continental. Whatever Schwab is selling has names like Pride, Battle tech, and some even gayer names than that...for all season passenger tires.
    As a proud Bendite it's sacrilege to shit talk Les Schwab (their HQ is here) but they only carry the shit brands. Yella only runs premium tire brands.

Big O Tires sucks ass too, Boss.
  • Options
    Thinking back, we used to call guys “Meat”, which was old school beisbol shit, and went through a period after watching The Great Gatsby (OG) of referring to roommates as “Old Sport”…csb
  • Options
    dirtysouwfdawgdirtysouwfdawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 11,922
    5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Chief
    I wonder if my older employees want to kill me for calling them bud.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Buddy (or bud)

I wonder if my older employees want to kill me for calling them bud.

Yes
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...
    Yella'

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,861
    F.O. Row Peter Puffer, you left off...

ISWYDT for Derek.

“Mister” is pretty lame. You better be a kid in a 1950s sitcom if you’re gonna be throwing that term around…and it probably should have a lead in of “golly” or “geez”.
    Make "buster" great again.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Sport
    dnc said:

dnc said:

None of these offend me, boss.

I am not a pussy.

But I say unto you @dnc , That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.
    Real talk none of these terms bother me in and of themselves. With a certain inflection or tone most of them can be annoying but I try not to expend too much energy worrying about what people call me. I save my angst for "bet" "sus" "bussin" and "send me".
    This. If someone is saying no cap and the ones you mentioned, I might get a little annoyed.
  • Options
    A HOF college baseball corch, from the NW, used this little ditty to make it known that he was unhappy with the umpire, hitting the eject button…saw it several tims in his last few years…”WHAT THE FUCK, BUD!”…csb

Narrator: “The umpire’s name was not Bud”…
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,494
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Boss
    When a 17 year old says "you don't know ball"
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,743
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited August 2023
    Champ
    I feel like "champ" is prima facia intent to demean. It just sounds like the dude is talking down to you. That's the "offense" part. In terms of what I'm sick of, "bro" is right there. It's so millennial. Doesn't offend. It's just classic current-generation disingenuity.