Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Listening to most recent Say Who Say Pod

Comments

• AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,043 Standard Supporter

I'm 75 minutes in. Really good discussion.

Danny said something like with Colorado leaving the Pac-12 realizes it got dumped by the ugly chick (or something like that)

Danny thinks Kalashnikov should resign. Nobody can take anything he says as grounded in reality. But he doesn't blame him.

Danny and Christian vaguely put blame on Pac-12 presidents but don't seem to want to criticize Cauce. (That's how I read it. Danny might think that's an unfair assessment.)

Danny doesn't think any of this is the ADs' fault.

Christian summed things up well that the Pac-12's achilles heel has always been arrogance. They think they're above the Big 12.

The Big 12 has recovered well from losing Texas and Oklahoma because they want to succeed.

The Pac 12 is collapsing from its arrogance and impotence (my words but that was the gist)

If uw football becomes mwc level I will laugh. Serves the admin right for all of the arrogance as stated. I won't really miss it.

This year should be good and it does feel like a swan song. Anything less than getting into the big 10 ruins the program long term.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,538 Swaye's Wigwam

Danny said something like with Colorado leaving the Pac-12 realizes it got dumped by the ugly chick (or something like that)

Danny thinks Kalashnikov should resign. Nobody can take anything he says as grounded in reality. But he doesn't blame him.

Danny and Christian vaguely put blame on Pac-12 presidents but don't seem to want to criticize Cauce. (That's how I read it. Danny might think that's an unfair assessment.)

Christian summed things up well that the Pac-12's achilles heel has always been arrogance. They think they're above the Big 12.

The Big 12 has recovered well from losing Texas and Oklahoma because they want to succeed.

The Pac 12 is collapsing from its arrogance and impotence (my words but that was the gist)

If uw football becomes mwc level I will laugh. Serves the admin right for all of the arrogance as stated. I won't really miss it.

This year should be good and it does feel like a swan song. Anything less than getting into the big 10 ruins the program long term.
    They aren't associating with Utah State.

Worst case they would take a check from Amazon and go independent.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,823 Swaye's Wigwam
    Thing is, UW administration doesn’t understand — or care to understand — that playing in a conference like the Mountain West would be a bad thing.

They don’t get it, and never really have.

I fully expect a 2026 schedule that will feature home games against Boise, Oregon State, Fresno, Air Force, San Jose and Cal.
    haie said:

They aren't associating with Utah State.

Worst case they would take a check from Amazon and go independent.
    Independent, mwc, broken pac,or big 12. None of it matters of the revenue discrepancy is massive. That's the biggest problem in all of this, they want to value academics when we are talking about football revenue.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    LawDawg1 said:

I disagree the Big 12 has recovered well. They are more stable but added some shit schools to address the loss of their flagship programs. to that end, the Pac will have to add even worse shit schools but its all shit in the end anyway.

Fuck the Pac. Fuck the presidents. Fuck the ADs. Fuck the media. FYFMFE.

What options did the Big12 have to add schools that weren't "shit" schools?

Which of the 4 programs that they added were "shit" adds?

Considering that the Big12 is going to survive and the PAC has splintered and almost assuredly will not survive ... hard to not say that the Big12 hasn't done what it had to do to continue as a going concern
    @DerekJohnson

Of course they won't criticize Cauce or Jen ... do so and you get your access cut off

It's pretty sad how thin skinned most of the PAC leadership is ... but it's part of the deal at this point
    46XiJCAB said:

FSU reported to be actively working to ditch ACC. B1G or SEC?

If they go B1G and pull Clemson along, the Big-12 will suddenly become that 1am chick to Oregon and Washington.

No - it likely means that it opens the door for UW (and likely Oregon) to go to the Big10 and get to 20

ND will remain independent as long as they can
    Tequilla said:

LawDawg1 said:

I disagree the Big 12 has recovered well. They are more stable but added some shit schools to address the loss of their flagship programs. to that end, the Pac will have to add even worse shit schools but its all shit in the end anyway.

Considering that the Big12 is going to survive and the PAC has splintered and almost assuredly will not survive ... hard to not say that the Big12 hasn't done what it had to do to continue as a going concern
    Sure rhe Big 12 will survive, but what's the point when your completion is making double what you will in revenue? These programs will not will not be competitive on the national stage.
  • 46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    Tequilla said:

46XiJCAB said:

If they go B1G and pull Clemson along, the Big-12 will suddenly become that 1am chick to Oregon and Washington.

No - it likely means that it opens the door for UW (and likely Oregon) to go to the Big10 and get to 20

They like 16.
    haie said:

Blaming the AD's is like blaming middle management. There's plenty to fire Cohen over but this issue is simply UW upper campus needs to go be best at everything. We? are already the flagship school in the region in academies. Time to go to the playoffs regularly and make the LA schools and Oregon cry more.

Yes and No

The ADs aren't the reason that the conference is in the position that they are

That said, the ADs as part of their job are responsible for being able to properly communicate the business environment that they are facing and that includes identifying the risks & opportunities.

It can be argued at what Jen has or hasn't done in that regard ... but I've never heard Jen described as visionary in any manner

My guess is they don’t want to publicly be criticizing women leaders. Cauce and Cohen are a big part of the conference downfall. They allowed Larry Scott to continue his warpath and weren’t proactive enough in the best interests of UW when the could have had some leverage.

Don't forget to add in the "bet" that this conference has made in sinking resources into non-revenue sports and the general lack of understanding (whether rightly or wrongly) in how those sports do not pay the bills like other sports do

Tequilla said:

LawDawg1 said:

Sure rhe Big 12 will survive, but what's the point when your completion is making double what you will in revenue? These programs will not will not be competitive on the national stage.
    At least as it is they are going to have a puncher's chance versus no chance ... there's something to be said for that

The Big12 is going to try to zig where others zag ... will it work out? Who knows.

You can bet that the Big12 is going to try to gain a monopoly on college basketball and the NCAA Tournament ... it's not football levels of revenue but also nothing to sneeze at if they can execute the vision they have there.

At some point, the money becomes more than enough to cover your programs ...

If you are a program like Texas or whatnot and want to be at the top in each of the sports that you offer, then you need as much money as possible and have that money filter down to the "money losing" programs that you have.

But not every program out there is aspiring to be Texas and have say half the number of programs. You don't need as much money to support those programs.

Let's say Washington is operating at a revenue shortfall going forward ... where do you think they are going to be impacted the most? Football? Every other sport?
    Tequilla said:

haie said:

Blaming the AD's is like blaming middle management. There's plenty to fire Cohen over but this issue is simply UW upper campus needs to go be best at everything. We? are already the flagship school in the region in academies. Time to go to the playoffs regularly and make the LA schools and Oregon cry more.

Yes and No

The ADs aren't the reason that the conference is in the position that they are

That said, the ADs as part of their job are responsible for being able to properly communicate the business environment that they are facing and that includes identifying the risks & opportunities.

It can be argued at what Jen has or hasn't done in that regard ... but I've never heard Jen described as visionary in any manner
    AD's raise money and have to nail football hires. And basketball secondarily.

Everything else is whatever, to me.

I don't need The Zone to have hookers and blow or whatever the GameDay expectations are. Would be nice, and yes I would fire her, but...whatever.
    46XiJCAB said:

Tequilla said:

46XiJCAB said:

They like 16.
    They might like 16 but they aren't the only ones making the decisions

The Big Ten is at least in part owned by FOX (BTN) ... you can guarantee that they are giving input on what programs that they'd like to see added

Also, there comes a point where some of the adds that you are making are strategic in nature ... UW and Oregon for instance may not bring in that EVERYBODY wants but there is a strategic element that they bring in that by locking them up they effectively lock up the West Coast to everybody else
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,598 Founders Club
    SEC 65, Big 12 7
    edited July 2023
    Tequilla said:

My guess is they don’t want to publicly be criticizing women leaders. Cauce and Cohen are a big part of the conference downfall. They allowed Larry Scott to continue his warpath and weren’t proactive enough in the best interests of UW when the could have had some leverage.

Don't forget to add in the "bet" that this conference has made in sinking resources into non-revenue sports and the general lack of understanding (whether rightly or wrongly) in how those sports do not pay the bills like other sports do
    You'd be surprised at how a lot of universities across the board get this wrong.

Ohio State's fans have bitched at how they've suffered in NIL more than they should because they have way, way too many Olympic sports. They dwarf Alabama's offering for example. And expecting fans to make up the difference.

The problem with the Pac is the 7 channels thing, essentially creating a 13th member.

It's like if the Pac invited Lane Community College's LARP team to be the 13th football member. Fucking Silicon Valley coked out plan that the presidents bought into.

SEC 65, Big 12 7

Yawn
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,598 Founders Club
    Tequilla said:

SEC 65, Big 12 7

Yawn
    It sure was

Tequilla said:

SEC 65, Big 12 7

Yawn
    It sure was

I was eating dinner in Scottsdale with friends watching the end of the Ohio St and Georgia game ...

We all knew that we were getting killed in the title game as soon as the game winning FG attempt by Ohio St missed about 25 yards left

Pretty sure no college team was beating Georgia that day