Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What level of Doog is (was) your old man?

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Ultra Doog

LebamDawg said:

It wasn't my pop but my Ma who was the UW fan. Dad was a baseball fan. All four of his sons disappointed the hell out of him by not playing baseball past lil' league. Ma otoh would demand silence when college football was on. Back then only Saturday afternoons on TV or radio. When the huskies were on she sent us all outside in the rain and snow, didn't matter to her. Dad's job on the RR kept him at work on Saturday's so she wrote the rules.

I still like listening to FB on the radio

Edit: He would cheer them on when they made it to the Rose Bowel

There’s something strangely comforting about listening to a football game on AM radio.
    Kids today don't realize that 81 percent of Husky games were radio only into the 80s
    The '82 UW (8-1) vs. ASU (9-0) game was on the radio and closed circuit TV
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 34,044
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ultra Doog

LebamDawg said:

It wasn't my pop but my Ma who was the UW fan. Dad was a baseball fan. All four of his sons disappointed the hell out of him by not playing baseball past lil' league. Ma otoh would demand silence when college football was on. Back then only Saturday afternoons on TV or radio. When the huskies were on she sent us all outside in the rain and snow, didn't matter to her. Dad's job on the RR kept him at work on Saturday's so she wrote the rules.

There’s something strangely comforting about listening to a football game on AM radio.
    Kids today don't realize that 81 percent of Husky games were radio only into the 80s
    TV destroyed college football. FUCK TV.

• Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023
    Has little or no interest in Husky Football

LebamDawg said:

I recall watching the '82 Apple Cup via closed circuit with a bunch of friends in Terry Hall. Either that, or it might have been on komo4buttfuckers, but I was too drunk to recall.

And either way, it was interesting.
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Ultra Doog
    TheHB said:

LebamDawg said:

I recall watching the '82 Apple Cup via closed circuit with a bunch of friends in Terry Hall. Either that, or it might have been on komo4buttfuckers, but I was too drunk to recall.

I watched the '82 Apple Cup on TV so I think you're thinking of the ASU game
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

My Dad was/is a hater. Grew up Mormon, hated UW because we? refused to play BYU. Which was really probably the most Mormon thing about him.

Plus he grew up in Eastern Washington and always had a soft spot for the fucking coogs.

Thankfully he didn't really GAF about college football so my burgeoning doogdom slipped under his radar until it was too late.

I suppose he really just needed more tim.

When did UW refuse to play BYU?
    UW never played BYU until 1985. Not sure when in other sports.

Pretty sure the official policy started in the 60's, but I've never researched it. What I was told is that UW boycotted BYU because BYU wouldn't allow black students until the 60's and Mormons wouldn't allow black people in the temple (until the late 70's). I'm guessing the policy was dropped in the late 70s and the 85 game was booked sometime around the turn of the decade but I have no real clue. Just know my Dad's family (super Mormon) always resented UW and it rubbed off on Dad (not super Mormon).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2023
    Ultra Doog
    dnc said:

dnc said:

My Dad was/is a hater. Grew up Mormon, hated UW because we? refused to play BYU. Which was really probably the most Mormon thing about him.

Plus he grew up in Eastern Washington and always had a soft spot for the fucking coogs.

Thankfully he didn't really GAF about college football so my burgeoning doogdom slipped under his radar until it was too late.

Pretty sure the official policy started in the 60's, but I've never researched it. What I was told is that UW boycotted BYU because BYU wouldn't allow black students until the 60's and Mormons wouldn't allow black people in the temple (until the late 70's). I'm guessing the policy was dropped in the late 70s and the 85 game was booked sometime around the turn of the decade but I have no real clue. Just know my Dad's family (super Mormon) always resented UW and it rubbed off on Dad (not super Mormon).
    Fuck the Mormons. Cha cha cha cha cha cha

Fuck the Mormons. Cha cha cha cha cha cha
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Ultra Doog
    dnc said:

dnc said:

UW is not for sermon seekers
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,726
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Nega Dawg
    dnc said:

dnc said:

The 86 rematch at Husky Stadium is one of my more memorable games

The 85 game was not
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ultra Doog

dnc said:

dnc said:

The 85 game was not
    BYU's Robert Parker returned the opening kickoff for a TD. UW then scored the next 52 points
    And I offered the BYU fans next to me a Coke and a smoke
    You are a true gentleman and a scholar.
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,638
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ultra Doog
    I should probably throw my uncles in with this too. They come up on the pod a lot.

One is on a different planet with life overall and is constantly giving everyone misrememered terrible scoops he gets off sports radio. He legit tired to tell me they should have brought Gilby back as OC a couple years ago.

Other uncle is ultimate nothing should ever change guy. Doesn't think players should get paid at all, even for legit endorsement type things, thinks Washington would be best off staying the Pac and adding San Diego State, thinks the SEC isn't better than the Pac-12 and it's just that they pay players.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

dnc said:

dnc said:

The 85 game was not
    BYU's Robert Parker returned the opening kickoff for a TD. UW then scored the next 52 points
    And I offered the BYU fans next to me a Coke and a soak
    ftfy
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,372
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

LebamDawg said:

I watched the '82 Apple Cup on TV so I think you're thinking of the ASU game
    Like I said, I was drunk.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Ultra Doog

dnc said:

dnc said:

UW is not for sermon seekers false prophets
  • Options
    Founders Club
    Ultra Doog

I should probably throw my uncles in with this too. They come up on the pod a lot.

One is on a different planet with life overall and is constantly giving everyone misrememered terrible scoops he gets off sports radio. He legit tired to tell me they should have brought Gilby back as OC a couple years ago.

Other uncle is ultimate nothing should ever change guy. Doesn't think players should get paid at all, even for legit endorsement type things, thinks Washington would be best off staying the Pac and adding San Diego State, thinks the SEC isn't better than the Pac-12 and it's just that they pay players.

Who's the guy I met on the dock that talked a lot about the Willingham book?
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited June 2023
    Ultra Doog

dnc said:

dnc said:

The 85 game was not
    I haven't thought about this in years but I got a migraine after the '85 game. It was deflating. Aaron Jenkins fumbling at the goal line, for starters. (Or was that David Toy?)
  • Options
    EwaDawgEwaDawg Member Posts: 4,000
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    LebamDawg said:

So you came from a non-traditional family?