Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

The Best QB-WR duos in Husky Football history

13»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Billy Joe Hobert - Mario Bailey

chuck said:

RW was the most talented WR and played in a pass heavy offense, yet he disappeared in a bunch of games where we needed someone to make a play (twice against UCLA, Purdue in the El Paso bowl come to mind). He tore up WSU and Oregon which was pretty big, but I still remember frequently wondering where the fuck he had disappeared to.

Bailey seemed to always make something happen when it was needed. He also played in a run oriented offense and still put up big numbers. Bailey/Hobert/Brunell wins. Not by a landslide but comfortably.

Say 34-17?
    Yes rather comfortably.
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    dnc said:

Damon Huard - Kenny Wheaton

• Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,310
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Cody Pickett - Reggie Williams
    HuskyJW said:

Cody had an absolute cannon before that shoulder separation/surgery. His ball was never the same after that.

whlinder said:

Doogles said:

I think Pickett is probably the most underrated QB to go through UW. Talent wise, a healthy Pickett is arguably better than both those guys. A true what could have been guy IMO.

For sure. Always wondered what happened to his senior year when he regressed. The whole firing Rick in the summer was bad for the team but I've never understood how it made Cody so much worse as a QB. He surely would have jumped to the draft before his senior year if he had known what was coming.

The other thing with Pickett was how much of the mental side of the game he got. Someone with his talent (not quite as athletic as pre-knee surgery Brunell or Locker but a much better passer) should have done better in the NFL.
    Rick also quit running the option after Pickett's shoulder got jacked. Cody wasn't Tui but he could run it.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,232
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

Dardanus said:

Hobert to Bailey. The 91 team was a running team which limited their opportunities. Bailey and Hobert weren't even playing in the 4th quarter in half the games either. Picket to Williams aired the ball out almost every play. Completely different offenses.

Are you saying that if you put Hobert-Bailey on the 2002 or 2003 teams, they would have had more production than Pickett-Williams?
    There is no way to know. What I do know is Hobert to Bailey was much more efficient than Picket to Williams. At the same time, Picket and Williams should not be punished for having a much worse OL, and an almost non existent running game while the 91 team had a great OL and strong running game.

In 91, Mario Bailey had 62 receptions 1037 yards and 17 TD's. Hobert completed 173 passes for 2271yards and 22 TD's. Bailey accounted for 36% of the completed passes, 46% of the yards, and 77% of the TD's.

In 2002, Reggie had 94 receptions for 1454 yards and 11 TD's. Picket completed 365 passes for 4458 yards and 28 TD's. Reggie accounted for 26% of the completed passes, 33% of the yards, and 39% of the TD's.

I know these percentages aren't the end all, be all, but it shows how stats can skew judgment. The 2002 team threw the ball more than twice as often as the 91 team did. Hobert attempted only 285 passes in 1991. Picket attempted 612 in 2002! Like I said bfore, these were completely different offenses.
    Not just different offenses, but also Hobert/Bailey rarely played much in the second half of games.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,232
    Founders Club
    TheGlove said:

dnc said:

FO, G
  • Options
    BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,341
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    edited July 2014

TheGlove said:

dnc said:

FO, G
  • Options
    ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Cody Pickett - Reggie Williams
    I'll take the Pickett-Williams led dance party.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

I'll take the Pickett-Williams led Lemon party.

#Obligatory
  • Options
    OZONEOZONE Member Posts: 2,510
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited July 2014
    Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Hobert to Bailey. The 91 team was a running team which limited their opportunities. Bailey and Hobert weren't even playing in the 4th quarter in half the games either. Picket to Williams aired the ball out almost every play. Completely different offenses.

Are you saying that if you put Hobert-Bailey on the 2002 or 2003 teams, they would have had more production than Pickett-Williams?
    There is no way to know. What I do know is Hobert to Bailey was much more efficient than Picket to Williams. At the same time, Picket and Williams should not be punished for having a much worse OL, and an almost non existent running game while the 91 team had a great OL and strong running game.

In 91, Mario Bailey had 62 receptions 1037 yards and 17 TD's. Hobert completed 173 passes for 2271yards and 22 TD's. Bailey accounted for 36% of the completed passes, 46% of the yards, and 77% of the TD's.

In 2002, Reggie had 94 receptions for 1454 yards and 11 TD's. Picket completed 365 passes for 4458 yards and 28 TD's. Reggie accounted for 26% of the completed passes, 33% of the yards, and 39% of the TD's.

I know these percentages aren't the end all, be all, but it shows how stats can skew judgment. The 2002 team threw the ball more than twice as often as the 91 team did. Hobert attempted only 285 passes in 1991. Picket attempted 612 in 2002! Like I said bfore, these were completely different offenses.
    Side story: when Reggie Williams was a freshman and showed up for his first practice, he told the rest of the team he was the best athlete on the field. In response to this claim, the seniors taped him to the goalpoast and shaved his eyebrows.
    Source: sources
    That is funny as hell.

I'll never forget how he bragged before your 2002 Sun Bowl against Purdue how awesome he was, and then the Purdue corners shut him down and made him their bitch. He was great against the small corners that all of the Pac 10 teams had that season, but the big Purdue corners ate his lunch.

I wonder if Slick ever goes to Canada to watch him play?

This gem from wiki is interesting...
    "On April 5, 2009, police officials reported Williams was arrested on felony drug charges after scuffling with Houston police officers at a local night club. Police tasered Williams and took him into custody at which time police found what appeared to be a bag of cocaine in his back pocket."

• Options
    unfrozencavemanunfrozencaveman Member Posts: 2,303
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    edited July 2014
    Cary Conklin to Mario Bailey - '89 Freedom Bowl. Fucking beatdown over FL w/ E Smith. Bottom line!
  • Options
    Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 22,888
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    OZONE said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Side story: when Reggie Williams was a freshman and showed up for his first practice, he told the rest of the team he was the best athlete on the field. In response to this claim, the seniors taped him to the goalpoast and shaved his eyebrows.
    That is funny as hell.

I'll never forget how he bragged before your 2002 Sun Bowl against Purdue how awesome he was, and then the Purdue corners shut him down and made him their bitch. He was great against the small corners that all of the Pac 10 teams had that season, but the big Purdue corners ate his lunch.

"On April 5, 2009, police officials reported Williams was arrested on felony drug charges after scuffling with Houston police officers at a local night club. Police tasered Williams and took him into custody at which time police found what appeared to be a bag of cocaine in his back pocket."

He always seemed overrated. Pre-Doogs wouldn't shut up about him though.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

OZONE said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

That is funny as hell.

This thread is worthless without ReggieIsGod.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,643
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

OZONE said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

That is funny as hell.

He wasn't overrated as a talent. He's big and fast. He shook off tacklers and absorbed hits like a fucking animal when he wanted to, then had a crazy burst for such a big receiver. He just has a 5 cent head and didn't try to improve or stay in shape...or stay out of trouble. The Oregon fan is also correct that he just shut it down when big corners came up and jammed him. All that speed and strength was wasted until he actually had the ball in his hands.