Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What is your grease monkey skill level ?

YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,892
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
Swaye's Wigwam

What is your grease monkey skill level ? 28 votes

None - I can put air in my tires and pump my own gas and that's about it
25%
DerekJohnsonwhlinderdncalumni94biak1Fenderbender123Fishpo31 7 votes
Basic - I can change my own oil, air filters, batteries, etc
39%
CFetters_Nacho_LoverFire_Marshall_BillMad_SonDooglespawzhuskyhooliganspudenLebamDawgDoog_de_JourYellowSnowRDR 11 votes
Advanced - I can do my own brakes, spark plugs, etc
28%
RaceBannonchuckdfleaWilliams3BleachedAnusDawgJoeEDangerouslyTheRoarOfTheCrowdAOG 8 votes
Expert - I can drop in a new engine block, replace a transmission, etc
7%
1to392831weretakenbooker14 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,258
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I did all that when I was in high-school and poor

And cars weren't computer chips
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,485
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I could drop an engine block and whatnot if I had the tools. I've done basically everything else besides that - full stereo, full suspension, turbos, etc.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023

I could drop an engine block and whatnot if I had the tools. I've done basically everything else besides that - full stereo, full suspension, turbos, etc.

@BleachedAnusDawg you get the Yella award for the most Joe Dirt, Kent muther fucker of this board

• Options
    huskyhooliganhuskyhooligan Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,073
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Its funny because I've never done the oil, but I've done the brakes. Skillz are deteriorating and I just assume pay someone to do it now.
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,861
    Founders Club
    I can do the basics and if I had the tools and patience the advanced stuff but I don’t so someone else does that shit for me.

I’m waiting for @1to392831weretaken to mock your expert option as I feel like he’s a bit of a Macguyver and could build his own car from scratch.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

Its funny because I've never done the oil, but I've done the brakes. Skillz are deteriorating and I just assume pay someone to do it now.

I've done the brakes once with a lot of help and supervision. I don't trust myself to do them solo and don't have the right jack stands either.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023
    Ive done a lot of starters, alternators, and water pumps, a clutch, and a few head gaskets/timing belts. I still fall in the advanced category. Experts don't need as much guidance as I need.

Edit... Brakes (not drum) I can do in my sleep, and apparently did once as I put the pads on backward. Drove it around the block and ruined the rotors so I got to change those too.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    chuck said:

Ive done a lot of starters, alternators, and water pumps, a clutch, and a few head gaskets/timing belts. I still fall in the advanced category. Experts don't need as much guidance as I need.

Edit... Brakes (not drum) I can do in my sleep, and apparently did once as I put the pads on backward. Drove it around the block and ruined the rotors so I got to change those too.

I feel like brakes might be the most overpriced repair that garages charge for. Also I'm trying to figure out how you got the pads on backwards. It was something I did with some older cars but assume the new models have some bullshit you need a special tool to complete the job or the hands of an infant to reach (ie try replacing your headlamps now).
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

I took wood shop instead of the auto shop class in HS. A lot of good it's done me!
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

I feel like brakes might be the most overpriced repair that garages charge for. Also I'm trying to figure out how you got the pads on backwards. It was something I did with some older cars but assume the new models have some bullshit you need a special tool to complete the job or the hands of an infant to reach (ie try replacing your headlamps now).
    No shit. But it's also like the most important repair/maintenance not to fuck up.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

No shit. But it's also like the most important repair/maintenance not to fuck up.
    Honestly the most important part is the brake fluid pressure. Your brake pads can be gone and it would still stop if there was pressure. You'd be fucking up some shit but you'll stop.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,811
    edited April 2023
    The Throbber pays people to work on his vehicles.

They are a mode of transportation. Nothing more, nothing less.

And Ducks PUMP MY GAS!!!

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

It was my girlfriends 2002 Sebring. Easily done. The slots lined right up, apparently. I really can't explain it.
  • Options
    dfleadflea Member Posts: 7,220
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    There are a lot of things I can do - but these days, I usually don't.

My kid does all my oil changes and now he does my brake jobs and tune-ups, too - and since I drive a Tacoma, that fucker doesn't need anything else done, so I have my needs covered.

I paid for the timing belt and water pump replacement about 250k miles ago because I wanted it done on a timeline, and wasn't sure I could pull it off.
  • Options
    booker14booker14 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 145
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I can and have done just about everything on my old hobby cars, but most work other than maintenance on the 2020's vehicle I leave to those trained to do it. I tinker on the old cars as a hobby - I enjoy working on cars when I want to not when I have to.
  • Options
    BasemanBaseman Member Posts: 12,365
    chuck said:

chuck said:

It was my girlfriends 2002 Sebring. Easily done. The slots lined right up, apparently. I really can't explain it.
    Your girlfriend drove/drives a Sebring? Wow just wow
  • Options
    1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,302
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It's strange to me that people prefer working on older vehicles to newer ones. In many ways, it's never been easier. Plug in the computer, read the codes, replace the parts. Unless there's real damage, it's almost always a sensor gone bad.

The nightmare era to work on cars was the late eighties. It was the worst confluence of emissions regulations and Rube Goldberg methods of meeting them. Nowadays, you just throw a dozen sensors and some ignition timing and fuel metering at the problem. Back then? Nine billion vacuum hoses and cables and hydraulic lines and whatnot. All in engine bays that were every bit as crammed as they are now. No thanks. I pulled the engine out of an '84 Prelude in college with the intention of rebuilding it, EFI conversion, etc. for a class project. I'm almost glad that engine was stolen, as I don't think I would have had a prayer of remembering where all those vacuum lines went if I'd have had to reinstall it.

Most of my maintenance is with dirt bikes, as they require stupid amounts of motor work. (If you follow the manual, for instance, a CR250 needed a new piston every 15 hours of use.) A lot of Luddites bitched and moaned about the dirt bike world finally catching up to EFI a mere 25 years late. Me? I celebrated never having to open another fucking FCR carburetor again and debated burning all the spare parts I had laying around in effigy.

/csb
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited April 2023
    B
    Baseman said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

Your girlfriend drove/drives a Sebring? Wow just wow
    It was about 2008, but yeah she had one.

Edit...it was a coupe which she thought was cool. It was annoying as fuck.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,966
    Founders Club
    None - I can put air in my tires and pump my own gas and that's about it
    I'm sure with YouTube handy I could figure out how to do most of it. Assuming I had ample time.