Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What is your grease monkey skill level ?

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,925
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    None - I can put air in my tires and pump my own gas and that's about it
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Ive done a lot of starters, alternators, and water pumps, a clutch, and a few head gaskets/timing belts. I still fall in the advanced category. Experts don't need as much guidance as I need.

Edit... Brakes (not drum) I can do in my sleep, and apparently did once as I put the pads on backward. Drove it around the block and ruined the rotors so I got to change those too.

I feel like brakes might be the most overpriced repair that garages charge for. Also I'm trying to figure out how you got the pads on backwards. It was something I did with some older cars but assume the new models have some bullshit you need a special tool to complete the job or the hands of an infant to reach (ie try replacing your headlamps now).
    It was my girlfriends 2002 Sebring. Easily done. The slots lined right up, apparently. I really can't explain it.
    I can't think Sebring without thinking Michael Scott
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,612
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Advanced - I can do my own brakes, spark plugs, etc

chuck said:

chuck said:

Ive done a lot of starters, alternators, and water pumps, a clutch, and a few head gaskets/timing belts. I still fall in the advanced category. Experts don't need as much guidance as I need.

Edit... Brakes (not drum) I can do in my sleep, and apparently did once as I put the pads on backward. Drove it around the block and ruined the rotors so I got to change those too.

I feel like brakes might be the most overpriced repair that garages charge for. Also I'm trying to figure out how you got the pads on backwards. It was something I did with some older cars but assume the new models have some bullshit you need a special tool to complete the job or the hands of an infant to reach (ie try replacing your headlamps now).
    It was my girlfriends 2002 Sebring. Easily done. The slots lined right up, apparently. I really can't explain it.
    He had the convertable. Not half as awesome as the coupe
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Basic - I can change my own oil, air filters, batteries, etc
    chuck said:

chuck said:

chuck said:

He had the convertable. Not half as awesome as the coupe
    Disagree.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,086
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment

I'm sure with YouTube handy I could figure out how to do most of it. Assuming I had ample time.

YouTube is wonderful that way. Did I know how to change an O2 censor before YouTube? Nope. Did YouTube show me how easy it is? Yup!
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,839
    Founders Club
    Mad_Son said:

I'm sure with YouTube handy I could figure out how to do most of it. Assuming I had ample time.

YouTube is wonderful that way. Did I know how to change an O2 censor before YouTube? Nope. Did YouTube show me how easy it is? Yup!
    I don’t know if it’s my age (50) or some other bias, but YouTube is usually the last thing I think of to learn how to fix something.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,864
    Swaye's Wigwam

Mad_Son said:

After we fired a project manager in California we went through his company computer

He was watching YouTube videos on how to be a project manager

True story and a cool story
    A sexy Latinx male?
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,925
    Founders Club

Mad_Son said:

I don’t know if it’s my age (50) or some other bias, but YouTube is usually the last thing I think of to learn how to fix something.
    It's fantastic that way
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    Mad_Son said:

Haven't used it for car repairs but basic plumbing and a number of other little projects around the house. I'm not much of a man when it comes to taking things apart and putting them back together but the little bit of a man that I am in those areas is 100% thanks to YT.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

The Throbber pays people to work on his vehicles.

They are a mode of transportation. Nothing more, nothing less.

And Ducks PUMP MY GAS!!!

Don't get me wrong @PurpleThrobber I still pay for most stuff. But there's also a convenience factor involved on the easiest shit like batteries, air filters, etc, vs taking it to the dealer or mechanic for that shit. The Toyota dealers in White Wakanda has the busiest service department I've ever seen and they take forever, even on simple shit.

Also I get more gas pumped jack Ducktards than anyone here.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781
    edited April 2023

And Ducks PUMP MY GAS!!!

Don't get me wrong @PurpleThrobber I still pay for most stuff. But there's also a convenience factor involved on the easiest shit like batteries, air filters, etc, vs taking it to the dealer or mechanic for that shit. The Toyota dealers in White Wakanda has the busiest service department I've ever seen and they take forever, even on simple shit.

The throbber has underlings who take his car to the shop.

In lieu of charging him rent, the adult kid who boomerangs back on occasion is tasked with sitting in the repair shop or getting snow tires put on or whatever. Someday your Lil Piss will be a fine underling, I'm sure.

The throbber then productively uses that time to make more $$$ or brb, jo as applicable.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

And Ducks PUMP MY GAS!!!

In lieu of charging him rent, the adult kid who boomerangs back on occasion is tasked with sitting in the repair shop or getting snow tires put on or whatever. Someday your Lil Piss will be a fine underling, I'm sure.

The throbber then productively uses that time to make more $$$ or brb, jo as applicable.

@MrsSnow has a no underlings living at home post college.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,781

And Ducks PUMP MY GAS!!!

They're pretty handy. Especially one with a pickup truck and the ability to use a chainsaw or swing a hammer.

Indentured servitude is how I would consider it.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

And Ducks PUMP MY GAS!!!

They're pretty handy. Especially one with a pickup truck and the ability to use a chainsaw or swing a hammer.

Indentured servitude is how I would consider it.

I think there's a movie with Terry Bradshaw about this.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,474
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Advanced - I can do my own brakes, spark plugs, etc

And Ducks PUMP MY GAS!!!

Sincerely,

A Toyota owner
  • Options
    Fenderbender123Fenderbender123 Member Posts: 2,861
    Standard Supporter
    It's not that I couldn't learn. It's just that it's totally unfulfilling work. Not fun at all.