Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

They Don’t Make Em Like They Used To

2»

Comments

• thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 6,110

Wouldn't you consider Brady?

I'm a big Elway fan but he wasn't that good in the big ones

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

I think about Tom Brady with Elway’s coaching staff/cast in the 80s and I wonder if he’d be in the league longer than 3 years.
    edited April 2023

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

People forget that Elway won SBs at a time when he was no longer really winning them. At the time he was truly carrying the team, the SB wasn't kind to him.

Agree, tippy top arm talent and mobile and tuff and athletic as all get out. He carried them and was a clutch player. No dispute. But getting it done when it needs to get done? How purely talented were all of Brady's and Montana's teams? I know the latter 49er teams were ridiculous, but I'd argue in '82 Montana was the man and for the rest of them, even with Rice, he was the straw that stirred the drink. Every single player who played with him, Lott included, will tell you the same thing.

The thing that changed Elway's life was Terrell Davis. It is amazing what a legitimate running game can do for a passing game.

These are different players anyway. A lot of football people will tell you that Elway wasn't an elite reader of defenses and that the Bronco offense had to be simplified for him during his first several years in the league. The running around part was in part due to how he played. He settled down later, but there have been other guys who could throw darts and surgically cut you to pieces arguably better than him.

But, yeah, for the big swinging dick QB who can just physically take over a game with his arm and feet and overwhelm you with his jock strap, he was the the top of the mountain IMO and I loved watching him play.

Also has Grays Harbor roots. That's where the Tuff comes from IMO.
    Elway played in 1970s era offenses until he had Jim Fassell as his OC in 1993, and he put up his best offensive season ever in year 11.

The offenses he played in the 80s weren’t dumbed down. They were just pretty dumb. By the time he had a line and a cast of weapons around him(Davis, Sharpe, Smith, McCaffrey, Zimmerman, Nalen). He was 35 years old in a league and at a time where surviving past 30 was an accomplishment for any QB.

If Elway had Montana’s offense around him and Bill Walsh calling plays, he would have put up better numbers than anyone not named Marino and pocketed multiple rings before the decade was out.

But the discussion is whether or not he’s the greatest physical QB prospect of all time and the answer is yes.
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,101 Founders Club
    thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

People forget that Elway won SBs at a time when he was no longer really winning them. At the time he was truly carrying the team, the SB wasn't kind to him.

Agree, tippy top arm talent and mobile and tuff and athletic as all get out. He carried them and was a clutch player. No dispute. But getting it done when it needs to get done? How purely talented were all of Brady's and Montana's teams? I know the latter 49er teams were ridiculous, but I'd argue in '82 Montana was the man and for the rest of them, even with Rice, he was the straw that stirred the drink. Every single player who played with him, Lott included, will tell you the same thing.

The thing that changed Elway's life was Terrell Davis. It is amazing what a legitimate running game can do for a passing game.

These are different players anyway. A lot of football people will tell you that Elway wasn't an elite reader of defenses and that the Bronco offense had to be simplified for him during his first several years in the league. The running around part was in part due to how he played. He settled down later, but there have been other guys who could throw darts and surgically cut you to pieces arguably better than him.

But, yeah, for the big swinging dick QB who can just physically take over a game with his arm and feet and overwhelm you with his jock strap, he was the the top of the mountain IMO and I loved watching him play.

Elway played in 1970s era offenses until he had Jim Fassell as his OC in 1993, and he put up his best offensive season ever in year 11.

The offenses he played in the 80s weren’t dumbed down. They were just pretty dumb. By the time he had a line and a cast of weapons around him(Davis, Sharpe, Smith, McCaffrey, Zimmerman, Nalen). He was 35 years old in a league and at a time where surviving past 30 was an accomplishment for any QB.

If Elway had Montana’s offense around him and Bill Walsh calling plays, he would have put up better numbers than anyone not named Marino and pocketed multiple rings before the decade was out.

But the discussion is whether or not he’s the greatest physical QB prospect of all time and the answer is yes.
    Sounds like you’re dealing with hypotheticals.
  • TTJTTJ Member Posts: 4,797
    thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

Yup. Elway was engineered in a lab to be the prototypical NFL QB. A true all-timer. Still, he had a little Jack Lockner in him.

thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

Sounds like you’re dealing with hypotheticals.
    It’s not hard to when you’re as bright as I am.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,644
    thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

Hard no, he never had the accuracy to run the West Coast offense like Montana did.
    dnc said:

thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

Hard no, he never had the accuracy to run the West Coast offense like Montana did.
    Accuracy is less important than timing in a WCO.

80% of your throws are 5-15 yards downfield.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,644
    thechatch said:

dnc said:

thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

Yes, and because they are close to the LOS they are often in tighter windows, fitting them in between two defenders, etc. Hence accuracy is key.

But you're right, Elway probably didn't have the timing to run the WCO either.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,968 Swaye's Wigwam
    dnc said:

thechatch said:

dnc said:

thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

Yes, and because they are close to the LOS they are often in tighter windows, fitting them in between two defenders, etc. Hence accuracy is key.

He'd be good in the spread.
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,768 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

dnc said:

thechatch said:

dnc said:

thechatch said:

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

He'd be good in the spread.
    Elway's high school coach invented it.

Jack Elway, Uncle Denny and Mike Price stole it from him.

I think John Elway would have found some way to get the ball to Jerry Rice, John Taylor, Brent Jones, and Roger Craig….😂
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,001 Founders Club
    Poppa Elway moved to California for better high school ball
    Granada Hills in Northridge to be exact.
  • whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,649 Standard Supporter
    I am also Team Elway.

He wasn’t on defense when Doug Williams and Timmy Smith (who.gif) lit up the Broncos for 5 TDs in 15 mins at the ‘Murph.
  • backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,861
    Can the season start already?

Can the season start already?

This is the adults room. Here’s a toy now go play with your sister.