Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• coronabruincoronabruin Member Posts: 1,480
    thechatch said:

I don’t think there’s ever been the perfect QB specimen like Elway. Guy was just beyond generational, and dragged Broncos teams starting guys like Mark, Jackson, Steve Sewell and Sammy Winder to 3 Super Bowls.

• thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 6,110

thechatch said:

I don’t think there’s ever been the perfect QB specimen like Elway. Guy was just beyond generational, and dragged Broncos teams starting guys like Mark, Jackson, Steve Sewell and Sammy Winder to 3 Super Bowls.

I am a big Joe Burrow fan but he dreams of having Elway’s mobility and arm talent.

Mahomes, Allen and Herbert are the closest current comps and all three play in obviously a much different era of offensive football.

It feels like it’s been 30 years since a QB took a 7 step drop. You aren’t allowed to touch receivers or QBs these days. Used to be you had to basically tackle a guy downfield to get flagged for pass interference.

Sandlot football was maddengly fun to watch.
  • PenacePenace Member Posts: 494
    Pretty decent chance Elway would be the first overall pick in an NFL all time re-draft.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,968 Swaye's Wigwam
    Penace said:

Pretty decent chance Elway would be the first overall pick in an NFL all time re-draft.

I don't think I could pass on him if picking first. I don't think there's a more sure thing to elevate the rest of the team if the supporting talent is less than ideal.
    Penace said:

There’s no doubt in my mind he’s the greatest #1 overall pick of all time. Has to be, right?
  • PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 43,768 Standard Supporter
    thechatch said:

Shooters in Rockford Bay is his hang. Wednesday or Thursday night during the summer.

Uncle Denny also makes an appearance on occasion.

• AOGAOG Member Posts: 1,750
    Regardless, bring back the real shoulderpads
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,773 Founders Club
    Fun Fact: Elway was born in Port Angeles, WA.

When UW booster Herb Mead was trying to recruit Elway, he told him "You were born in Washington! You can't go to Stanford!"

I can't remember if this next story was in regards to Elway or Dave Wyman, but I think it was Elway. Herb Mead challenged him to a game of ping pong. If Herb won, the kid would have to go to UW.

• CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,101 Founders Club
    https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36165134/2023-nfl-draft-scouts-best-prospects-ever-elway-jackson

The article asks scouts to name they best they ever saw, either on video or in person. Bo Jackson, Anthony Munoz, Elway and Barry Sander made the list.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,644
    edited April 2023

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/36165134/2023-nfl-draft-scouts-best-prospects-ever-elway-jackson

The article asks scouts to name they best they ever saw, either on video or in person. Bo Jackson, Anthony Munoz, Elway and Barry Sander made the list.

Munoz and Barry didn't even go #1 in their own year though as amazing as they were.
  • dncdnc Member Posts: 56,644
    Penace said:

This is a really interesting thought experiment. If we're going value at the time they were picked OJ or Earl Campbell or maybe even Bo Jackson might take the top spot. But if we're drafting in 2023? It's definitely a QB and Elway seems like the most obvious guy. I think you're right.
    Elway and Manning have to be the two greatest #1 overall draft picks.

And Elway got to the SB sooner, more often, and with less talent around him than Peyton did.

Imagine Elway throwing to Jerry Rice or handing off to Edgerrin James in a west coast or spread O.

Guy had to run around for 5min just so 5’9” Vance Johnson could work himself open 40 yards down field…
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,968 Swaye's Wigwam
    thechatch said:

Elway and Manning have to be the two greatest #1 overall draft picks.

And Elway got to the SB sooner, more often, and with less talent around him than Peyton did.

Imagine Elway throwing to Jerry Rice or handing off to Edgerrin James in a west coast or spread O.

Guy had to run around for 5min just so 5’9” Vance Johnson could work himself open 40 yards down field…

I can't think of any player more capable of carrying a team in my lifetime. I was a big sea chicken fan in his day and hated him more than any other player. By the time Denver actually won a super bowl I had come around and really admired him. I was even strangely happy for him.

If my offense was a well oiled machine, with dominant OL play, a Bill Walsh-like system, and great guys outside and at running back, I might look at some other QBs. Anything less than that and Elway is my guy easily.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 105,001 Founders Club
    Wouldn't you consider Brady?

I'm a big Elway fan but he wasn't that good in the big ones

Bart Starr too. 5 rings
  • creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 23,049

Wouldn't you consider Brady?

I'm a big Elway fan but he wasn't that good in the big ones

Bart Starr too. 5 rings

People forget that Elway won SBs at a time when he was no longer really winning them. At the time he was truly carrying the team, the SB wasn't kind to him.

Agree, tippy top arm talent and mobile and tuff and athletic as all get out. He carried them and was a clutch player. No dispute. But getting it done when it needs to get done? How purely talented were all of Brady's and Montana's teams? I know the latter 49er teams were ridiculous, but I'd argue in '82 Montana was the man and for the rest of them, even with Rice, he was the straw that stirred the drink. Every single player who played with him, Lott included, will tell you the same thing.

The thing that changed Elway's life was Terrell Davis. It is amazing what a legitimate running game can do for a passing game.

These are different players anyway. A lot of football people will tell you that Elway wasn't an elite reader of defenses and that the Bronco offense had to be simplified for him during his first several years in the league. The running around part was in part due to how he played. He settled down later, but there have been other guys who could throw darts and surgically cut you to pieces arguably better than him.

But, yeah, for the big swinging dick QB who can just physically take over a game with his arm and feet and overwhelm you with his jock strap, he was the the top of the mountain IMO and I loved watching him play.

Also has Grays Harbor roots. That's where the Tuff comes from IMO.
  • TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,827 Swaye's Wigwam

When UW booster Herb Mead was trying to recruit Elway, he told him "You were born in Washington! You can't go to Stanford!"

I can't remember if this next story was in regards to Elway or Dave Wyman, but I think it was Elway. Herb Mead challenged him to a game of ping pong. If Herb won, the kid would have to go to UW.

People forget he was drafted No. 1 by Baltimore but refused to play for the Colts. People forget that.
  • coronabruincoronabruin Member Posts: 1,480
    thechatch said:

thechatch said:

I am a big Joe Burrow fan but he dreams of having Elway’s mobility and arm talent.

Mahomes, Allen and Herbert are the closest current comps and all three play in obviously a much different era of offensive football.

It feels like it’s been 30 years since a QB took a 7 step drop. You aren’t allowed to touch receivers or QBs these days. Used to be you had to basically tackle a guy downfield to get flagged for pass interference.

Sandlot football was maddengly fun to watch.
    I think he does have that kind of mobility (I’ll concede on arm talent, at least in terms of pure strength). It just looks different because the overall athleticism of the defenses is better now.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,402
    TheHB said:

People forget he was drafted No. 1 by Baltimore but refused to play for the Colts. People forget that.
    He was also drafted twice by MLB. The Royals took him late out of high school, and the Yankees drafted and signed him in 81, six spots ahead of Tony Gwynn…