Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Happy 26th birthday to Jake Locker

2»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    edited June 2014

Tequilla said:

Jake never got as much coaching as he needed in college and as a pro has struggled a bit with consistency (see coaching issues) and an ability to stay healthy.

I still think he's got a nice season or two as a professional in him.

When you've had several different coaches and you still aren't improving, is it really a coaching problem?

Jack is a well spoken hard working player who brings his lunch pale to work every day. Type of guy you'd want your son to be and daughter to date.

And yes Lockner is a coach killer.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Meek said:

most of the QBs drafted in the first round don't pan out and I'd say that Locker has already panned out better than most first round QBs... or at least average. Not bad for a kid from Ferndale who had to deal with Tyrone and Sark and keep a pretty modest team competitive against an insane out of conference schedule.

I still remember how he almost single handedly kept that Ohio State game pretty close.

Are you fucking kidding me with that bullshit? Lockner is 8-10 as a starter in his career. Starting 18 games in three years alone is below average for a first round quarterback.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Locker had an 86.7 rating last year, completed almost 61% of his passes last year, and had a comparable yards per attempt as Tom Brady and Andrew Luck last year to name just a couple.

I'm not dooging it up on Locker, but there's a lot of people that IMO have always been harsher on him than has been deserved.
  • Options

Meek said:

most of the QBs drafted in the first round don't pan out and I'd say that Locker has already panned out better than most first round QBs... or at least average. Not bad for a kid from Ferndale who had to deal with Tyrone and Sark and keep a pretty modest team competitive against an insane out of conference schedule.

I still remember how he almost single handedly kept that Ohio State game pretty close.

Are you fucking kidding me with that bullshit? Lockner is 8-10 as a starter in his career. Starting 18 games in three years alone is below average for a first round quarterback.
    http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2011/draft.htm

The first round for QB's as you'd put it was a "fucking dreckfest" and that's being kind.

Newton: He's good
    Locker: Bust
    Gabbert: Bust
    Ponder: Bust

Second round was much better though.

Dalton: He sucks but at least gets to the playoffs
    Kaepernik: Might be the best in this draft
  • Options
    allpurpleallgoldallpurpleallgold Member Posts: 8,771
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

I never thought Locker was a great QB, although he was always misused. I never really understood the safety argument though. If you get picked 8th playing QB, you are in the right spot. A backup QB in the NFL makes a couple million. A back up safety plays for the league minimum.

That discounts the idea that maybe he flourishes as a safety and makes big time money in a second contract. What about you? Would you rather be mediocre and make a huge payday, or take a chance on playing your natural position for a chance at greatness and big paychecks later on?
    Being a back up quarterback is the best job in sports. Locker is well on his way to living the dream.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

I never thought Locker was a great QB, although he was always misused. I never really understood the safety argument though. If you get picked 8th playing QB, you are in the right spot. A backup QB in the NFL makes a couple million. A back up safety plays for the league minimum.

That discounts the idea that maybe he flourishes as a safety and makes big time money in a second contract. What about you? Would you rather be mediocre and make a huge payday, or take a chance on playing your natural position for a chance at greatness and big paychecks later on?
    Being a back up quarterback is the best job in sports. Locker is well on his way to living the dream.
    Not sure how long he'll last as a backup. The NFL prefers smart, accurate backups (see Tebow's departure for details).
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

Not sure how long he'll last as a backup. The NFL prefers smart, accurate backups (see Tebow's departure for details).
    Locker is going to do well next year IMO.

Titans are a better all-around team
  • Options

Tarvaris Jackson??????

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

Charlie Whitehurst says hi. Locker has more talent then him. If you have talent and don't cause problems (Vince Young), you will last for awhile. Locker isn't Tebow.
  • Options
    doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary Name Dropper

Paging Hugh Millen.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited June 2014

Sounds like a great idea for a write up, though I wouldn't put it on the front page.

Sarkasm aside, I don't think the Tebow example proves anything. Locker isn't going to cause massive media hysteria or have fans chanting his name anytime the starter misses a throw. IMO Tebow Mania was the biggest enemy of Tebow. No mania and he's still in the league.

Also, Locker's not accurate, but he's more accurate than Tebow. Plus he throws a much prettier incompletion, which is why he went 8th in the first place. Some coach is going to think "if I can just work with him I can fix him".

See Terrelle Pryor for details.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    I bet his Mom gives him a big wet sloppy kiss.
  • Options
    sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    5 Awesomes Photogenic First Anniversary Name Dropper

Personally, I would have left a year early, taken the extra $30 million or so of upfront money and never given the possibility of playing a different position or the 'next' contract a second thought.