Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Happy 26th birthday to Jake Locker

DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,079
First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
Founders Club
Even though I still believe he should have been converted to safety, here's to a great season working in tandem with Bishop Sankey in the Titans' backfield.

Comments

• Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,571
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    He'd be an all-pro safety. Or not.

either way blah blah fucking blah
  • Options
    bananasnblondesbananasnblondes Member Posts: 14,910
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    This post is Nebraska fan classy
  • Options
    DugtheDoogDugtheDoog Member Posts: 3,180
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Does he have a brother named Jack?
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Jake never got as much coaching as he needed in college and as a pro has struggled a bit with consistency (see coaching issues) and an ability to stay healthy.

I still think he's got a nice season or two as a professional in him.
  • Options
    Founders Club

I never thought Locker was a great QB, although he was always misused. I never really understood the safety argument though. If you get picked 8th playing QB, you are in the right spot. A backup QB in the NFL makes a couple million. A back up safety plays for the league minimum.

That discounts the idea that maybe he flourishes as a safety and makes big time money in a second contract. What about you? Would you rather be mediocre and make a huge payday, or take a chance on playing your natural position for a chance at greatness and big paychecks later on?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah

I never thought Locker was a great QB, although he was always misused. I never really understood the safety argument though. If you get picked 8th playing QB, you are in the right spot. A backup QB in the NFL makes a couple million. A back up safety plays for the league minimum.

That discounts the idea that maybe he flourishes as a safety and makes big time money in a second contract. What about you? Would you rather be mediocre and make a huge payday, or take a chance on playing your natural position for a chance at greatness and big paychecks later on?
    He'd be Taylor Mays at BEST. How many pro bowl white safeties are there in the NFL? I'll be waiting.
  • Options
    Founders Club

He'd be Taylor Mays at BEST. How many pro bowl white safeties are there in the NFL? I'll be waiting.
    Based on what? My speculation is based on the phenomenal athlete we saw in 2007, when he ran out there and didn't have to think and could play rat ball. Former pro athletes were claiming he would win 2 Heismans. As a safety, he would have been a much better fit and wouldn't have gotten bogged down with the mental aspect of the game.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited June 2014

Based on what? My speculation is based on the phenomenal athlete we saw in 2007, when he ran out there and didn't have to think and could play rat ball. Former pro athletes were claiming he would win 2 Heismans. As a safety, he would have been a much better fit and wouldn't have gotten bogged down with the mental aspect of the game.
    The expectations for Jake were always ridiculous. He's a hell of an athlete, but he's really not that crazy of an athlete compared to other guys in the NFL. At the combine, he ran a 4.59. That's not that good for a safety, and many LB's in the NFL are that fast. His athleticism stood out as a QB. I'm not sure it would stand out as much at another position.

We've been over this before, but who is playing QB instead of him? Bonnell and Fouch sucked. The only viable option was Price as a R-Fr and by that point there was no way Locker was coming out.
  • Options
    Founders Club

The expectations for Jake were always ridiculous. He's a hell of an athlete, but he's really not that crazy of an athlete compared to other guys in the NFL. At the combine, he ran a 4.59. That's not that good for a safety, and many LB's in the NFL are that fast. His athleticism stood out as a QB. I'm not sure it would stand out as much at another position.

We've been over this before, but who is playing QB instead of him? Bonnell and Fouch sucked. The only viable option was Price as a R-Fr and by that point there was no way Locker was coming out.
    And Ty never really used him as Oregon uses their mobile QB's either
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Tequilla said:

Jake never got as much coaching as he needed in college and as a pro has struggled a bit with consistency (see coaching issues) and an ability to stay healthy.

Or.... He can't hit the broad side of a barn more than half of the time.

There's that. Strong arm, great runner. No accuracy.

I do think it's cute that some Doogs continue to hang onto the coaching excuse as to why He isn't an accurate passer.
  • Options
    Founders Club

And Ty never really used him as Oregon uses their mobile QB's either
    Ty and Lappano basically had Locker play rat ball like Derek said. Run around to buy time to find someone get open or try and get upfield. It looked like there was no structure at all. Sark tried to make Locker a pro style QB and took away his biggest strength which was running the football. Locker was thinking way too much under Sark. He succeeded when you consider Locker was picked 8th, but Locker's actual production sucked.

He was never used right. He should have been a poor man's Cam Newton. At Oregon, he might have even had Cam Newton type production. It's crazy to think what Locker could have done at Oregon when you consider Masoli and Darron Thomas were succeeding. I know some of the Oregon fans hold Thomas in high regard, but he fucking sucks. I watched him play arena while working out a couple weeks back and he's terrible.
    Pretty on point with the "rat ball" description.

For being a dual-threat QB, Locker had the least amount of designed runs called for him out of any fucking mobile QB in NCAA history. Ever.

It's a travesty how many good players have been misused at UW this past decade.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

Even though I still believe he should have been converted to safety, here's to a great season working in tandem with Bishop Sankey in the Titans' backfield.

"You can't flag a moderator's post, even when he should be telling Jack Lockner that it's time to grow up and get a real job."
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Tequilla said:

When you've had several different coaches and you still aren't improving, is it really a coaching problem?
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,623
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    OZONE said:

He should have come to Oregon, where he would have been utilized to his fullest talents.

Winner. Case closed.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

OZONE said:

He should have come to Oregon, where he would have been utilized to his fullest talents.

Sadly, agree.

Now go crash your float plane into a cannibal pygmy village.
    This.

And make sure the pygmy's you crash into are stocked up with jagged flint and napalm.
  • Options
    MeekMeek Member Posts: 7,031
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    most of the QBs drafted in the first round don't pan out and I'd say that Locker has already panned out better than most first round QBs... or at least average. Not bad for a kid from Ferndale who had to deal with Tyrone and Sark and keep a pretty modest team competitive against an insane out of conference schedule.

I still remember how he almost single handedly kept that Ohio State game pretty close.