Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

QB Development - tOSU vs UW historically

I got obnoxious with a few friends of mine who come from the beautiful state of Ohio. They argued that UW never put out anyone, and that Locker is the best we’ve had. So I decided to dig deep and look at the stats and compare, especially considering I was not alive during the great husky runs in the late 80s- 91. Let’s take a gander shall we…

OSU
1987 - Mike Tomczak, 16,079 passing yards, 88 touchdowns and 106 interceptions
88- Tom Tupa, with 3,430 passing yards, 12 touchdowns and 25 interceptions. 
92- Kent Graham, 7,801 passing yards, 39TDs, 33 INTs
96 - Bobby Hoying, 2,544 yards, 11 touchdowns and 15 interceptions. 
99- Joe Germaine, 136 yards with one touchdown and two interceptions.
2004 - Craig Kenzel, 718 passing yards, three touchdowns and six interceptions. 
2007 - Troy Smith, 1,734 passing yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions, and a 4-4 record as a starter. 
2011 - Terrelle Prior, 1,994 passing yards, nine touchdowns and 12 interceptions.
2016 - Cardale Jones, 96 yards and one interception.
2020 - Justin Fields, 4,037 yards, 23 TDs, 20 INTs. (active)

TOTALS: 10 QBs drafted since ‘87
Passing Yards - 38,569, TDs - 194, INTs - 225

UW
88 - Chris Chandler, 28,484 passing yards, 170TDs, 140 INTs
93 - Mark Brunell, 32,072 passing yards, 184 TDs, 108 INTs
96 - Damon Huard, 6,303 passing yards, 33 TDs, 26 INTs
99- Brock Huard, 689 yards, 4 TDs, 2 INTs
04 - Cody Pickett, 195 Yards, 4 INTs
11 - Jake Locker (my Jake), 4,967 Yards, 27TDs, 22INTs
20 - Jake Eason, 84 Yards, 2 INTs

UW Totals - 7 QBs Drafted since ‘87
72,794 Passing Yards, 418 TDs, 304 INTs.

Why did I pick 87? Because it gave them a chance to look respectable. If we? went back further and added warren moon it wouldn’t even be close.

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    And Billy Joe

It's still a chin worthy post. Better than the one I made analysing the matter.
  • Options
    theLSkidtheLSkid Member Posts: 344
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Mad_Son said:

Marques Tavita Tuiasosopo (born March 22, 1979) is an American football coach and former player. He played professionally as a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) for eight seasons with the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets. Tuiasosopo was selected in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Raiders with the 59th overall pick.

I have no idea why Tui didn’t copy onto here, he’s the first UW QB that I remember watching play on a consistent basis. But yes he had another 554 yards, 2TDs and 4INTS.

Straight missed on the other two, the point is still valid but appreciate the help! It just makes us? look even more dominant
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,090
    theLSkid said:

Mad_Son said:

Marques Tavita Tuiasosopo (born March 22, 1979) is an American football coach and former player. He played professionally as a quarterback in the National Football League (NFL) for eight seasons with the Oakland Raiders and New York Jets. Tuiasosopo was selected in the second round of the 2001 NFL Draft by the Raiders with the 59th overall pick.

I have no idea why Tui didn’t copy onto here, he’s the first UW QB that I remember watching play on a consistent basis. But yes he had another 554 yards, 2TDs and 4INTS.

Straight missed on the other two, the point is still valid but appreciate the help! It just makes us? look even more dominant
    Yes but... are you sure you didn't miss anyone from osu if you missed Huskies?
  • Options
    Mad_Son said:

theLSkid said:

Mad_Son said:

Yes but... are you sure you didn't miss anyone from osu if you missed Huskies?
    I took it from a Columbus Dispatch article that was written about fields getting into the NFL: https://www.dispatch.com/story/sports/2021/12/28/can-justin-fields-break-ohio-states-nfl-quarterback-jinx/9034329002/

So unless they’re Epsteining their football prowess, I’d assume no.

• Options
    chuck said:

And Billy Joe

i also wrote this after coming in from a Christmas Day “walk” so my bad

I also missed the Ohio Stte QB who was gambling on games and shit because they (my dumbass hick friends) don’t claim him. Kinda like Pete Rose, anyways, He had 1,006 yards and some 3 TDs and 11 picks.
  • Options
    Kingdome_UrinalsKingdome_Urinals Member Posts: 2,605
    First Comment 5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes
    There’s also Dwayne Haskins for tOSU but his career sucked.
  • Options

There’s also Dwayne Haskins for tOSU but his career sucked.

The more I realized I missed the more I realize how strong that indica was
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Stanback also played in the NFL but not sure he ever threw the ball.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022
    whlinder said:

He was no Marvin Hall, that's for sure.

Hall probably has more and better stats than a few on the list.
    theLSkid said:

chuck said:

And Billy Joe

i also wrote this after coming in from a Christmas Day “walk” so my bad

I also missed the Ohio Stte QB who was gambling on games and shit because they (my dumbass hick friends) don’t claim him. Kinda like Pete Rose, anyways, He had 1,006 yards and some 3 TDs and 11 picks.
    Get a pen man. Not for regular use but they're amazing for gatherings. There are few places you can't sneak a toke. They're family proof.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,090
    whlinder said:

He didn't. Barely had any receptions.

Something that would be interesting is to know stars out of high-school, although Thai only goes back so far.

If you look at EMU, FSU, Indiana, FSU, UW you'll notice that the thing that immediately massively improves QBs is DeBoer, not a university.
  • Options
    AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 6,979
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Mad_Son said:

whlinder said:

He didn't. Barely had any receptions.

Something that would be interesting is to know stars out of high-school, although Thai only goes back so far.

If you look at EMU, FSU, Indiana, FSU, UW you'll notice that the thing that immediately massively improves QBs is DeBoer, not a university.
    Expect when your talking about db’s. Then uw does a great job of getting them to the nfl. So I be been hearing from this years class.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,513
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    haie said:

Recently went back to check the receipts on UW QBs and they had an insane run of starting QBs getting drafted for basically 30 years. Starting with Tom Flick in the early-80s and ending with Jake Locker in 2010, every true QB starter for the most part other than Damon Huard got drafted and Damon played 10 years in the NFL and started some games. I'm fudging a bit my considering Stanback the starter in 04 and 05 and he got drafted as a WR, but still.

If you skip Tom Porras, you can go back to Moon too, who while not drafted, obviously had the NFL career that he had.

UW should market this even though it has nothing to do with the current staff. There was a great TE run starting with Aaron Pierce and ending with I think Stevens as well.

ASJ was mentioned in a Curb episode, don't remember if that was a playoff game, but fuck it he counts too.
    Great episode
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    ntxduck said:

haie said:

Recently went back to check the receipts on UW QBs and they had an insane run of starting QBs getting drafted for basically 30 years. Starting with Tom Flick in the early-80s and ending with Jake Locker in 2010, every true QB starter for the most part other than Damon Huard got drafted and Damon played 10 years in the NFL and started some games. I'm fudging a bit my considering Stanback the starter in 04 and 05 and he got drafted as a WR, but still.

If you skip Tom Porras, you can go back to Moon too, who while not drafted, obviously had the NFL career that he had.

UW should market this even though it has nothing to do with the current staff. There was a great TE run starting with Aaron Pierce and ending with I think Stevens as well.

ASJ was mentioned in a Curb episode, don't remember if that was a playoff game, but fuck it he counts too.
    Great episode
    Fuck you, now I have to track it down..
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,459
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
  • Options
    WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,490
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    haie said:
    ASJ least remarkable great Husky career ever. I guess he would have been sweet to have on actually good teams.