Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dream school

13»

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    Doogles said:

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

There are no longer “dream schools” just selector schools.
    For example, Kalen has probably spent 2-2 1/2 years on SD Wonderboy, but tOSU came to one game and flew him out to lose to UM and he still went to tOSU, why? they can select their athletes.
    Bama, tOSU, Georgia, all selector schools, maybe you can throw in LSU in years past but not with Kelly at the helm.
    What’s nice about the Presley flip is that it proves that UO isn’t a selector school, they can get the NIL kids but they aren’t beating out the top tier teams for talent, at least not often.

So "selector school" means you can go toe to toe with one of those other schools and expect to win no matter what?

Is it really selector school or selector recruiter?
    If Oregon State spends 3 years with an in-state recruit and the day before signing day Nick Saban offers him; he’s going to Alabama. That’s a selector school.

Alabama has a new set of assistants every year and they still pull top 3 classes; I think you’re overestimating the “top tier” recruiters. For example, hartline at tOSU, is he really a good recruiter? He’s had a couple of dudes, but they would’ve ended up at tOSU regardless of whether or not he was there because Day’s offense is highly conducive to WRs getting drafted.

Cristobal just pulled in a top 5 class in a down year for south florida recruiting (meaning he had to pull it in from places where the kids don't grow up on steady diet of "swagger". He's at a program that has been dreadful the past handful of years, a program that just came off a horrible and embarrassing season, and a program that hasn't done more than have spurts of "good" the last 18. And there are plenty of kids in that class that Bama and Buck wanted.

Obviously, talented recruiter + Mt. Rushmore name is the best situation. But recruiting ability is a talent, and not everybody has it.
    It's really too bad that all his great recruits at Oregon had to portal out this year because Lanning needs time to get his own highly rated recruits in to try and not lose to UW and Oregon State

Cristobal can recruit. Lanning can recruit. Oregon can recruit. Miami can recruit

So far Cristo is a better coach than Lannbo because he beat UW and Oregon State with his highly rated recruits and Lannbo didn't
    My only point being, when you're at a school that doesn't historically dominate the headlines, it's not good enough to say, "Well, you can't get 5 stars to Eugene." Allegedly what Scott Frost said back in the day. Loser talk. Cristo brought in talent to fucking Rutgers. Someday, somebody's going to say the same thing about Washington, if they haven't already: "well, you can't expect us to bring in 5* talent; we're not a selector school."

It's a talent and a work ethic thing. I believe there are really and truly lazy recruiters and guysms who just aren't good at it. They're just not! Kelly was reputed to be both.

Anyway, my response to LSkid's theory, which is more fatalistic than my own.
    I used your post to take a shot at Lanning

There have been internet battles going back years between those who say UW can do whatever it wants if it wants to and those who cry WE CAN'T

DeBoer and staff appear to be pretty good at this recruiting stuff. They needed a big year on the field and they cashed it in

Will be interesting going forward
    He leaves his ego at the door. Doesn't seem to try and sell kids. As long as UW plays their part which it looks like they are this should be the worst class he'll have here going forward. This class is already better than many of Pete's classes.
    One thing I think you guys may be overlooking in the "LIPO" aspect of evaluation: how brilliant will this guy look when he doesn't have Penix. I myself do not believe he gave birth to Penix. He didn't develop his ability to dime drop. He had that before. Will he always have a Penix and this cadre of targets? What's he made of when he doesn't have that? LIPO.
    He transformed Haener into a Heisman candidate
    I'm not prepared (meaning motivated) to argue this to the nub like we? do everything on this board. Running a QB-friendly offense and being a good play caller, thus putting a kid with talent in a position to be his best self, and having a couple of kids who are naturally gifted passers, are not mutually exclusive concepts. Haener has shown he can throw and this board itself had people in his corner relative to skinny winning the job over him. And skinny is the kind of kid that gives all the TBS people massive boners, so it says a lot about what Haener showed in terms of potential that he had even a single soul arguing in his favor. 99/100, a QB like skinny makes fans say, "Duh, of course he's the guy."

Here's the LIPO gain for clarity: he has an arguably generational talent at QB throwing to likely the best collection of receivers to ever play at Washington. It's entirely reasonable to ask how he'll perform as a coach when that's not the package with which he has to work. A few coaches win even without having that outsized advantage in personnel. Many don't.

Nobody in the house of creep is denying your God-given right to doog during this, the holiest time of year.
    It's funny how this ultra talented collection of receivers materialized out of two guys who were door. Ass. Out portal destined 4-star busts and a Texas tech retread.

Your argument sounds like, "yeah the coach puts the skilled guys in the right spots at the right times with the right mindset to make the right plays, but what if they all were legless"

Qbs matter, that's why Clemson isn't in the playoffs this year. But open yo fuckin eyes!
    That is precisely my point I started with.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    pawz said:

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

For example, Kalen has probably spent 2-2 1/2 years on SD Wonderboy, but tOSU came to one game and flew him out to lose to UM and he still went to tOSU, why? they can select their athletes.
    Bama, tOSU, Georgia, all selector schools, maybe you can throw in LSU in years past but not with Kelly at the helm.
    What’s nice about the Presley flip is that it proves that UO isn’t a selector school, they can get the NIL kids but they aren’t beating out the top tier teams for talent, at least not often.

So "selector school" means you can go toe to toe with one of those other schools and expect to win no matter what?

If Oregon State spends 3 years with an in-state recruit and the day before signing day Nick Saban offers him; he’s going to Alabama. That’s a selector school.

Alabama has a new set of assistants every year and they still pull top 3 classes; I think you’re overestimating the “top tier” recruiters. For example, hartline at tOSU, is he really a good recruiter? He’s had a couple of dudes, but they would’ve ended up at tOSU regardless of whether or not he was there because Day’s offense is highly conducive to WRs getting drafted.

Cristobal just pulled in a top 5 class in a down year for south florida recruiting (meaning he had to pull it in from places where the kids don't grow up on steady diet of "swagger". He's at a program that has been dreadful the past handful of years, a program that just came off a horrible and embarrassing season, and a program that hasn't done more than have spurts of "good" the last 18. And there are plenty of kids in that class that Bama and Buck wanted.

Obviously, talented recruiter + Mt. Rushmore name is the best situation. But recruiting ability is a talent, and not everybody has it.
    It's really too bad that all his great recruits at Oregon had to portal out this year because Lanning needs time to get his own highly rated recruits in to try and not lose to UW and Oregon State

Cristobal can recruit. Lanning can recruit. Oregon can recruit. Miami can recruit

So far Cristo is a better coach than Lannbo because he beat UW and Oregon State with his highly rated recruits and Lannbo didn't
    My only point being, when you're at a school that doesn't historically dominate the headlines, it's not good enough to say, "Well, you can't get 5 stars to Eugene." Allegedly what Scott Frost said back in the day. Loser talk. Cristo brought in talent to fucking Rutgers. Someday, somebody's going to say the same thing about Washington, if they haven't already: "well, you can't expect us to bring in 5* talent; we're not a selector school."

It's a talent and a work ethic thing. I believe there are really and truly lazy recruiters and guysms who just aren't good at it. They're just not! Kelly was reputed to be both.

There have been internet battles going back years between those who say UW can do whatever it wants if it wants to and those who cry WE CAN'T

DeBoer and staff appear to be pretty good at this recruiting stuff. They needed a big year on the field and they cashed it in

He leaves his ego at the door. Doesn't seem to try and sell kids. As long as UW plays their part which it looks like they are this should be the worst class he'll have here going forward. This class is already better than many of Pete's classes.
    One thing I think you guys may be overlooking in the "LIPO" aspect of evaluation: how brilliant will this guy look when he doesn't have Penix. I myself do not believe he gave birth to Penix. He didn't develop his ability to dime drop. He had that before. Will he always have a Penix and this cadre of targets? What's he made of when he doesn't have that? LIPO.
    I'm not prepared (meaning motivated) to argue this to the nub like we? do everything on this board. Running a QB-friendly offense and being a good play caller, thus putting a kid with talent in a position to be his best self, and having a couple of kids who are naturally gifted passers, are not mutually exclusive concepts. Haener has shown he can throw and this board itself had people in his corner relative to skinny winning the job over him. And skinny is the kind of kid that gives all the TBS people massive boners, so it says a lot about what Haener showed in terms of potential that he had even a single soul arguing in his favor. 99/100, a QB like skinny makes fans say, "Duh, of course he's the guy."

Here's the LIPO gain for clarity: he has an arguably generational talent at QB throwing to likely the best collection of receivers to ever play at Washington. It's entirely reasonable to ask how he'll perform as a coach when that's not the package with which he has to work. A few coaches win even without having that outsized advantage in personnel. Many don't.

Nobody in the house of creep is denying your God-given right to doog during this, the holiest time of year.
    This is however is exactly the poont. On a play-by-play basis, we? haven't seen kids in spaces created by play calling to succeed in forever.

I mean, that's a fair point, which, borrowing from Doogles, can be translated to: "It's not the receivers; it's the play calling getting them open."
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,847
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

pawz said:

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

This is however is exactly the poont. On a play-by-play basis, we? haven't seen kids in spaces created by play calling to succeed in forever.

I mean, that's a fair point, which, borrowing from Doogles, can be translated to: "It's not the receivers; it's the play calling getting them open."
    These can both be mutually exclusive and true. It's just that the latter is far more apparent than* in, well, forever.

For example when Jeff Tedford wasn't up in the booth, John Ross III seemed to need to outrun people.

*(the engrish motherfucker)