Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dream school

Comments

• Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,749
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

There are no longer “dream schools” just selector schools.
    For example, Kalen has probably spent 2-2 1/2 years on SD Wonderboy, but tOSU came to one game and flew him out to lose to UM and he still went to tOSU, why? they can select their athletes.
    Bama, tOSU, Georgia, all selector schools, maybe you can throw in LSU in years past but not with Kelly at the helm.
    What’s nice about the Presley flip is that it proves that UO isn’t a selector school, they can get the NIL kids but they aren’t beating out the top tier teams for talent, at least not often.

So "selector school" means you can go toe to toe with one of those other schools and expect to win no matter what?

Is it really selector school or selector recruiter?
    If Oregon State spends 3 years with an in-state recruit and the day before signing day Nick Saban offers him; he’s going to Alabama. That’s a selector school.

Alabama has a new set of assistants every year and they still pull top 3 classes; I think you’re overestimating the “top tier” recruiters. For example, hartline at tOSU, is he really a good recruiter? He’s had a couple of dudes, but they would’ve ended up at tOSU regardless of whether or not he was there because Day’s offense is highly conducive to WRs getting drafted.

Cristobal just pulled in a top 5 class in a down year for south florida recruiting (meaning he had to pull it in from places where the kids don't grow up on steady diet of "swagger". He's at a program that has been dreadful the past handful of years, a program that just came off a horrible and embarrassing season, and a program that hasn't done more than have spurts of "good" the last 18. And there are plenty of kids in that class that Bama and Buck wanted.

Obviously, talented recruiter + Mt. Rushmore name is the best situation. But recruiting ability is a talent, and not everybody has it.
    It's really too bad that all his great recruits at Oregon had to portal out this year because Lanning needs time to get his own highly rated recruits in to try and not lose to UW and Oregon State

Cristobal can recruit. Lanning can recruit. Oregon can recruit. Miami can recruit

So far Cristo is a better coach than Lannbo because he beat UW and Oregon State with his highly rated recruits and Lannbo didn't
    My only point being, when you're at a school that doesn't historically dominate the headlines, it's not good enough to say, "Well, you can't get 5 stars to Eugene." Allegedly what Scott Frost said back in the day. Loser talk. Cristo brought in talent to fucking Rutgers. Someday, somebody's going to say the same thing about Washington, if they haven't already: "well, you can't expect us to bring in 5* talent; we're not a selector school."

It's a talent and a work ethic thing. I believe there are really and truly lazy recruiters and guysms who just aren't good at it. They're just not! Kelly was reputed to be both.

Anyway, my response to LSkid's theory, which is more fatalistic than my own.
    I used your post to take a shot at Lanning

There have been internet battles going back years between those who say UW can do whatever it wants if it wants to and those who cry WE CAN'T

DeBoer and staff appear to be pretty good at this recruiting stuff. They needed a big year on the field and they cashed it in

Will be interesting going forward
    He leaves his ego at the door. Doesn't seem to try and sell kids. As long as UW plays their part which it looks like they are this should be the worst class he'll have here going forward. This class is already better than many of Pete's classes.
    One thing I think you guys may be overlooking in the "LIPO" aspect of evaluation: how brilliant will this guy look when he doesn't have Penix. I myself do not believe he gave birth to Penix. He didn't develop his ability to dime drop. He had that before. Will he always have a Penix and this cadre of targets? What's he made of when he doesn't have that? LIPO.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,582
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

For example, Kalen has probably spent 2-2 1/2 years on SD Wonderboy, but tOSU came to one game and flew him out to lose to UM and he still went to tOSU, why? they can select their athletes.
    Bama, tOSU, Georgia, all selector schools, maybe you can throw in LSU in years past but not with Kelly at the helm.
    What’s nice about the Presley flip is that it proves that UO isn’t a selector school, they can get the NIL kids but they aren’t beating out the top tier teams for talent, at least not often.

So "selector school" means you can go toe to toe with one of those other schools and expect to win no matter what?

If Oregon State spends 3 years with an in-state recruit and the day before signing day Nick Saban offers him; he’s going to Alabama. That’s a selector school.

Alabama has a new set of assistants every year and they still pull top 3 classes; I think you’re overestimating the “top tier” recruiters. For example, hartline at tOSU, is he really a good recruiter? He’s had a couple of dudes, but they would’ve ended up at tOSU regardless of whether or not he was there because Day’s offense is highly conducive to WRs getting drafted.

Cristobal just pulled in a top 5 class in a down year for south florida recruiting (meaning he had to pull it in from places where the kids don't grow up on steady diet of "swagger". He's at a program that has been dreadful the past handful of years, a program that just came off a horrible and embarrassing season, and a program that hasn't done more than have spurts of "good" the last 18. And there are plenty of kids in that class that Bama and Buck wanted.

Obviously, talented recruiter + Mt. Rushmore name is the best situation. But recruiting ability is a talent, and not everybody has it.
    It's really too bad that all his great recruits at Oregon had to portal out this year because Lanning needs time to get his own highly rated recruits in to try and not lose to UW and Oregon State

Cristobal can recruit. Lanning can recruit. Oregon can recruit. Miami can recruit

So far Cristo is a better coach than Lannbo because he beat UW and Oregon State with his highly rated recruits and Lannbo didn't
    My only point being, when you're at a school that doesn't historically dominate the headlines, it's not good enough to say, "Well, you can't get 5 stars to Eugene." Allegedly what Scott Frost said back in the day. Loser talk. Cristo brought in talent to fucking Rutgers. Someday, somebody's going to say the same thing about Washington, if they haven't already: "well, you can't expect us to bring in 5* talent; we're not a selector school."

It's a talent and a work ethic thing. I believe there are really and truly lazy recruiters and guysms who just aren't good at it. They're just not! Kelly was reputed to be both.

There have been internet battles going back years between those who say UW can do whatever it wants if it wants to and those who cry WE CAN'T

DeBoer and staff appear to be pretty good at this recruiting stuff. They needed a big year on the field and they cashed it in

He leaves his ego at the door. Doesn't seem to try and sell kids. As long as UW plays their part which it looks like they are this should be the worst class he'll have here going forward. This class is already better than many of Pete's classes.
    One thing I think you guys may be overlooking in the "LIPO" aspect of evaluation: how brilliant will this guy look when he doesn't have Penix. I myself do not believe he gave birth to Penix. He didn't develop his ability to dime drop. He had that before. Will he always have a Penix and this cadre of targets? What's he made of when he doesn't have that? LIPO.
    I've wondered that myself and I keep going back to a Grubb interview before the season: DeBoer wants to run it more (a lot more) than Grubb does.

This class has OL more tailored to running, especially Hatchett.

My guess is they will be a lot more balanced after next year.
  • Options
    TheHBTheHB Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 5,378
    First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary
    Swaye's Wigwam
    DeBoner did take a UW backup and turn him into a bona fide stud at Fresno. Maybe he would have turned out to be as good if he stayed at UW, but I have big doubts.

I think QB will be fine — provided they have a room with some QBs in it.

• Options
    TheHB said:

DeBoner did take a UW backup and turn him into a bona fide stud at Fresno. Maybe he would have turned out to be as good if he stayed at UW, but I have big doubts.

I mean, I'm sure he does develop QBs well, and that's his rep. But Penix is on another level ... a level I don't think coaching gets you.
  • Options
    dannarcdannarc Member Posts: 2,281
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You live and die by your QB, OSU and Bama have QB's all over the NFL, having an elite team and winning big games all hinges on great QB play, look at LSU, major drop off from Burrow. The last good Coug team had Minshew, the list goes on... Penix is good enough to play and win a Natty, his supporting staff/teammates need to be good. Our offense is good enough to play with anybody, our D is the question mark, Boner has done well filling holes, we'll see... DeBoner needs to put all chips in for next season and take advantage of his massive Penix while it lasts
  • Options
    edited December 2022

TheHB said:

I mean, I'm sure he does develop QBs well, and that's his rep. But Penix is on another level ... a level I don't think coaching gets you.
    Penix was 5-1, 68.8% completion, 1400 yards, 10 TDs to 4 INTs and 157.6 QBR with DeBoer as OC in 2019

Penix was 2-3, 53.7% completion, 939 yards, 4 TDs to 7 INTs and 101.9 QBR without DeBoer in 2021

Penix is 10-2, 66.0% completion, 4354 yards, 29 TDs to 7 INTs and 155.5 QBR with Deboer at UW in 2022
    So there will always be a Penix at Washington as long as DeBore is here? Good to know!
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,645
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

TheHB said:

Penix was 5-1, 68.8% completion, 1400 yards, 10 TDs to 4 INTs and 157.6 QBR with DeBoer as OC in 2019

Penix was 2-3, 53.7% completion, 939 yards, 4 TDs to 7 INTs and 101.9 QBR without DeBoer in 2021

Penix is 10-2, 66.0% completion, 4354 yards, 29 TDs to 7 INTs and 155.5 QBR with Deboer at UW in 2022
    So there will be always be a Penix at Washington as long as DeBore is here? Good to know!
    Not really. He has more going for him than a well coached scheme.

What I saw of Morris this season tells me he hasn't made a leap forward. Looks like the same scatter brained, scatter armed guy he already was.

Huard obviously hasn't improved or we would have seen him instead.

But...his record with Penix and Haener speaks strongly to his ability to find a guy he can coach. I'll still be a little concerned until it happens again, as striking out on HS recruits this year isn't a great sign either. I think things will work out though.
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,311
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

John Ruiz is the best recruiter at Miami… and it’s not even close.

tOSU isn’t a selector like it used to be because their NIL is complete dogshit, which will eventually be a reason NIL gets capped.

Nobody in their right mind wants to play for the Josh Gattis “Spread ur cheeks and lose for weeks” offense, but when you can buy a car, a house, and provide for your family, NO shit they’re gonna Miami.
    Well, sure. But that doesn't mean Cristobal isn't himself a great recruiter. His resume spans long before NIL and speaks for itself. Nobody before him recruited to Eugene like he did.

Also, while Miami is among the top in average spend, according to this ranking, they are outspent by others who have also had a lot of recent success and still recruited on par with them. Take Ohio State. Average NIL is $98 k. Miami's is $92 k. Ohio State spends a little more and (arguably) more importantly has had much more success during the lifetimes of the kids being recruited. So if Buck is spending the bucks and Buck football is appreciably more successful than Miami football over the last forever, then how does Miami recruit with them? Lazy Chip spends $68 k and is all the way down at 29, with all the recruiting advantages UCLA brings to the table. He's being outperformed in recruiting by cheapskates like Washington (26), Ole Miss (27), North Carolina (28), Tex Tech (25), Ute (24), Miss State (23), Ark, Mich, FSU TCU, MSU and South Carolina.

And Alabama and Georgia are the top two spenders, again, according to this ranking. Is it because they've been successful? Good recruiters? NIL?

Ask yourself this question. How many things in life thus far have proven to you to be explained by one monolithic factor or variable that overrides everything? For example, if it is all about NIL, then you'd have expected Miami to have landed an elite outside WR, which they need, and they didn't. If they could've just bought one, they'd have bought one. It's not that simple.

I've found most things involve a multitude influencing factors and that most things are more subtle. Except for abortion. That's black and white.

https://www.on3.com/db/rankings/consensus-team/football/2023/
    Tldr correlation isn't causation and "it's hard".
  • Options

TheHB said:

This would be a great debate topic between @RaceBannon and @DerekJohnson
    We've had enough trauma here watching Ma and Pa fighting in the living room. It's too much.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 60,251
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

TheHB said:

We've had enough trauma here watching Ma and Pa fighting in the living room. It's too much.
    hardy har har
  • Options

TheHB said:

hardy har har
    Merry Christmas Stalin. Even though I know the party mandates atheism as the official state religion.
  • Options
    PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 24,613
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

He transformed Haener into a Heisman candidate
  • Options

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I'm not prepared (meaning motivated) to argue this to the nub like we? do everything on this board. Running a QB-friendly offense and being a good play caller, thus putting a kid with talent in a position to be his best self, and having a couple of kids who are naturally gifted passers, are not mutually exclusive concepts. Haener has shown he can throw and this board itself had people in his corner relative to skinny winning the job over him. And skinny is the kind of kid that gives all the TBS people massive boners, so it says a lot about what Haener showed in terms of potential that he had even a single soul arguing in his favor. 99/100, a QB like skinny makes fans say, "Duh, of course he's the guy."

Here's the LIPO gain for clarity: he has an arguably generational talent at QB throwing to likely the best collection of receivers to ever play at Washington. It's entirely reasonable to ask how he'll perform as a coach when that's not the package with which he has to work. A few coaches win even without having that outsized advantage in personnel. Many don't.

Nobody in the house of creep is denying your God-given right to doog during this, the holiest time of year.
  • Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes
    haie said:

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I've wondered that myself and I keep going back to a Grubb interview before the season: DeBoer wants to run it more (a lot more) than Grubb does.

He can go to the portal whenever he wants for a god experienced starter too. We are recruiting WR well too.
  • Options
    pawzpawz Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 18,847
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

I'm not prepared (meaning motivated) to argue this to the nub like we? do everything on this board. Running a QB-friendly offense and being a good play caller, thus putting a kid with talent in a position to be his best self, and having a couple of kids who are naturally gifted passers, are not mutually exclusive concepts. Haener has shown he can throw and this board itself had people in his corner relative to skinny winning the job over him. And skinny is the kind of kid that gives all the TBS people massive boners, so it says a lot about what Haener showed in terms of potential that he had even a single soul arguing in his favor. 99/100, a QB like skinny makes fans say, "Duh, of course he's the guy."

Here's the LIPO gain for clarity: he has an arguably generational talent at QB throwing to likely the best collection of receivers to ever play at Washington. It's entirely reasonable to ask how he'll perform as a coach when that's not the package with which he has to work. A few coaches win even without having that outsized advantage in personnel. Many don't.

Nobody in the house of creep is denying your God-given right to doog during this, the holiest time of year.
    This is however is exactly the poont. On a play-by-play basis, we? haven't seen kids in spaces created by play calling to succeed in forever.

• Options
    backthepackbackthepack Member Posts: 19,799
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker 5 Awesomes

haie said:

haie said:

theLSkid said:

theLSkid said:

He can go to the portal whenever he wants for a god experienced starter too. We are recruiting WR well too.
    apparently portal QBs are a holt deities!