Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hardcore Husky and the Beginning of the Chris Petersen Era

Hardcore_HuskyHardcore_Husky Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 302 Swaye's Wigwam
edited June 2014 in Tug Tavern

imageHardcore Husky and the Beginning of the Chris Petersen Era

CheersWestDawg chimes in with thoughts on the Seattle-area coverage of Husky Football.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club
    I do remember when Willingham was halfway through the 0-12 nightmare season, Kelly Stouffer did color commentary with Kevin Calaboro, and Stouffer said what was wrong with letting this man continue the job he was brought to Washington to do?
  • ApostleofGriefApostleofGrief Member Posts: 3,904
    edited June 2014
    Good write up. I have always ridiculed fans' attempts to restore the Don James era, which happened both with Gilby and Coach Willingham, fighting off the last bender here with some foaming at the mouth to get that UCLA coach.
  • ThomasFremontThomasFremont Member Posts: 13,325
    There's a staff?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    I felt like the fan base was more divided under Sark than even Willingham. I think in large part because those who were against Willingham were less patient in hearing the same bullshit from the Doogs during the Sark era. That is also when Doogman started to made Nazi Germany seem like a fair and balanced country with them running any poster who questioned Sark at all.

I felt Sark's best coaching job was his first two years and his program never improved off that. Although being a QB "expert" and having Lockner regress under him was my first red flag this guy was in over his head. Also to RoadDawg's point I felt like every big USC loss it was typically when their offense would inexplicably throw the ball 45+ times and refuse to run the ball despite having an amazing line and run game under Sark as OC.

It is funny though the Sark fans that I know are now saying "We better hope Petersen is that 92-12 guy and not like Ty Willingham" when with Sark it was overwhelming support. Even them saying there was a "buzz" with Sark not with Petersen despite ticket sales, merchandise saying differently. Then when you bring that up you always get "but 0-12".
  • CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,499
  • doogsinparadisedoogsinparadise Member Posts: 9,320
    edited June 2014
    Who is CheersWestDawg, does he poast here?
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,950 Swaye's Wigwam
    Who is Dave Handy? Did he used to write those "deep thoughts" bits for SNL?

Seriously I'm curious. What name does he post under?
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    So CheersWedt is another Tequila user name?
  • PostGameOrangeSlicesPostGameOrangeSlices Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 25,605 Swaye's Wigwam
    intro was tl,dr jesus christ. any uw fan should know all that already.
  • Fire_Marshall_BillFire_Marshall_Bill Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 23,585 Founders Club

I do remember when Willingham was halfway through the 0-12 nightmare season, Kelly Stouffer did color commentary with Kevin Calaboro, and Stouffer said what was wrong with letting this man continue the job he was brought to Washington to do?

I remember that too. What a dipshit. He thought he needed the full five years. That only works when there's some sign of progress.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,594 Founders Club

I remember that too. What a dipshit. He thought he needed the full five years. That only works when there's some sign of progress.
    I yelled at the TV "I would like to see you say that if he was your fucking coach!!"
  • BennyBeaverBennyBeaver Member Posts: 13,346
    He must be paid by the word.
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    If I wrote that article, there would have been at least a reference to "let's roll"
  • TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,825
    Sark brought back some sizzle to the program that needed some sizzle ... problem was that by Year 3, the sizzle wasn't enough and people expected checks to be cashed and the checks weren't getting cashed.

It's been beat to death as often as Kim beats a banana, but Sark's proven himself over time of moving up the job ladder without putting the work in to become a master at what it is that he was hired to do. You can get away with that charade for so long, but at some point, there's not another ladder to go up. He'll either get exposed at USC or he'll end up jumping to the NFL and then getting exposed there.

The reason that those that are smart are excited about Petersen is because he's put in the hard work, he's put in the sweat, he's said his prayers and ate his vitamins brother. You have someone that has a belief in the way to get things done, has had success with it, and has a staff and laundry list of former players that swear by what he does. Results matter and he's got the results to prove that whatever it is that he does works.

One thing that I was in a way disappointed wasn't touched on during the article was the whining and crying about Petersen's assistant coaches and how they aren't upwardly mobile like Wilcox in the sense that he's priming to be a head coach. Petersen's assistants seem perfectly fine with hitching their coaching wagon to him with the job stability that that includes and taking on challenges.

Not everybody is a future head coach. Some realize that that's just not their cup of tea. Gilby was a shitty head coach. I'd hire him every single day of the week to coach the OL or even be a OC. Getting a coaching staff that meshes together, has everybody's back, and works towards a common goal is just as important as it is to have 85 players doing the same.
  • jecorneljecornel Member Posts: 9,727
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453

Good write up. I have always ridiculed fans' attempts to restore the Don James era, which happened both with Gilby and Coach Willingham, fighting off the last bender here with some foaming at the mouth to get that UCLA coach.

For the last fucking time the reasons we all wanted Mora to be our coach had little to do with him being a UW alum. Noticed how nobody in here wanted Tui to be head coach?