Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Discover, Tostitos to end title deals with playoff bowl games.

Comments

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

Wait for it....
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOCKER!

I predicted this before Bleenor. The major bowels as we know them will be over soon.

So you're trying to say that the time honored tradition of the Grandaddy of em all won't be sponsored by Vizio someday?
    No.. I'm saying the granddad of them all won't exist.
    It will, but it's going to be a playoff game. It will no longer be a Big 10/ Pac 12 matchup.
    No...it won't. It won't have the sponsorship or the attendance by the fans. The only way it survives would be in name only as a bowl given to teams that do not make the playoff. They playoff games will eventually be held at one of the school's stadiums. There. Would be no way in a 16 team playoff all of the games will be part of the bowl system at neutral sites. That's where it will go. Do you really think teams will go to Pasadena for 10 days to participate in the activities surrounding the rosebowl? Or fans will make a vacation out of it when they have 3 playoff games to go to and are holding out to make the championship game? Look to the FCS as the model. That's the only way it will work and that's where it is heading. People that think the bowl will continue as is as part of a playoff system are fucking stupid.
    I want the 16 team playoff to happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. I could also see the final 4 teams still playing at neutral sites after the first two rounds are at the higher seed's home field. It won't be the same, but they will try to keep the Rose Bowl around, even if it is in name only, and sponsors will still line up. The NCAA will attempt at trying to pretend they care about the traditions. The sponsors on the other hand only care about money, they don't give a fuck about tradition. Sponsors will line up to give their money to a semifinal NCAA football game. It's tough to really predict with the NCAA. They are morons and they are led by Mark Emmert. Nuff said on that.

• Options
    PurpleJPurpleJ Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 36,526
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    As long as we keep the Rose Parade, I'm fine. I love the pageantry.
  • Options
    TierbsHsotBoobsTierbsHsotBoobs Member Posts: 39,680
    Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary

salemcoog said:

Wait for it....
    SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH...SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHOOOCKER!

I predicted this before Bleenor. The major bowels as we know them will be over soon.

So you're trying to say that the time honored tradition of the Grandaddy of em all won't be sponsored by Vizio someday?
    The 2002 "Rose Bowl" says hello.
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    an 8 team to me seems best.
    All the big 5 conference champions (I don't count the big least) and 3 more at larges. Higher seed gets the home game and seeding is based off of BCS standings.
    Hell you could even add 4 more at larges to make 7 and give the top 4 seeds a first round bye.
    8 or 12 is the best way to go imo
  • Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

salemcoog said:

Wait for it....

It will, but it's going to be a playoff game. It will no longer be a Big 10/ Pac 12 matchup.
    No...it won't. It won't have the sponsorship or the attendance by the fans. The only way it survives would be in name only as a bowl given to teams that do not make the playoff. They playoff games will eventually be held at one of the school's stadiums. There. Would be no way in a 16 team playoff all of the games will be part of the bowl system at neutral sites. That's where it will go. Do you really think teams will go to Pasadena for 10 days to participate in the activities surrounding the rosebowl? Or fans will make a vacation out of it when they have 3 playoff games to go to and are holding out to make the championship game? Look to the FCS as the model. That's the only way it will work and that's where it is heading. People that think the bowl will continue as is as part of a playoff system are fucking stupid.
    I want the 16 team playoff to happen, but I'll believe it when I see it. I could also see the final 4 teams still playing at neutral sites after the first two rounds are at the higher seed's home field. It won't be the same, but they will try to keep the Rose Bowl around, even if it is in name only, and sponsors will still line up. The NCAA will attempt at trying to pretend they care about the traditions. The sponsors on the other hand only care about money, they don't give a fuck about tradition. Sponsors will line up to give their money to a semifinal NCAA football game. It's tough to really predict with the NCAA. They are morons and they are led by Mark Emmert. Nuff said on that.

It will take a few more years, but they will get to 16 teams. The Rose Bowl will exist and it might be between the pac-12 and B1G-10 (lol) teams that didn't make the playoffs. Sponsors won't be willing to pay what they pay now because the ratings will be low.

The playoff games won't be part of the bowls at neutral sites. That's not feasible for fans or the teams. No sport does that.

• Options

salemcoog said:

Wait for it....

It will take a few more years, but they will get to 16 teams. The Rose Bowl will exist and it might be between the pac-12 and B1G-10 (lol) teams that didn't make the playoffs. Sponsors won't be willing to pay what they pay now because the ratings will be low.

The playoff games won't be part of the bowls at neutral sites. That's not feasible for fans or the teams. No sport does that.

Play the first two rounds at campus sites, play the semifinals and championship at neutral sites. In a perfect world, the last three games would rotate between Pasadena, Arlington, and New Orleans, but the conference commissioners will fuck that up because money.

• Options

salemcoog said:

Wait for it....

Play the first two rounds at campus sites, play the semifinals and championship at neutral sites. In a perfect world, the last three games would rotate between Pasadena, Arlington, and New Orleans, but the conference commissioners will fuck that up because money.

Just have a playoff or don't. Trying to fit bowls into isn't abundance, it's fucktarded and will eventually fall away. They might try for a couple of years, then no one will give a shit anymore and they just go away. Like most things that are the outrage of the day, the eventually don't have legs and won't stand.
    We've had a playoff for 16 years, you know.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    If we're gonna scrap the bowls and have a playoff, why not institute promotion/relegation? It could have saved us a lot of trouble in 2008.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fine. Keep the dreck teams in D-1. See if I care!
  • Options

salemcoog said:

Wait for it....

Just have a playoff or don't. Trying to fit bowls into isn't abundance, it's fucktarded and will eventually fall away. They might try for a couple of years, then no one will give a shit anymore and they just go away. Like most things that are the outrage of the day, the eventually don't have legs and won't stand.
    We've had a playoff for 16 years, you know.
    And apparently Doogs still hate facts based on the votes for the quoted post.

• Options
    Swaye's Wigwam

PurpleJ said:

If we're gonna scrap the bowls and have a playoff, why not institute promotion/relegation? It could have saved us a lot of trouble in 2008.

Why not cancel Americal football and have real Futbol?
    REAL fútbol players are already making millions by the time college rolls around.
  • Options
    DardanusDardanus Member Posts: 2,623
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    edited June 2014
    The NFL playoffs aren't at a neutral site until the Super Bowel. Between conference championships and playoff semi-finals, if too many games are played at neutral sites, attendance will drop.
  • Options
    Dardanus said:

The NFL playoffs aren't at a neutral site until the Super Bowel. Between conference championships and playoff semi-finals, if too many games are played at neutral sites, attendance will drop.

The Pac-12 clearly doesn't give a fuck about attendance.

ahead of the game
  • Options

Dardanus said:

ahead of the game
    Agree. I don't mean to imply that tv networks, sponsors, or commissioners actually care about attendance.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

ahead of the game
    Agree. I don't mean to imply that tv networks, sponsors, or commissioners actually care about attendance.
    What would be the advantage of anything but the championship being at a neutral site?
  • Options

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

ahead of the game
    What would be the advantage of anything but the championship being at a neutral site?
    It would only be an advantage to the people in charge of the semifinal/"bowl game." The chairman of the fiesta bowl doesn't get paid if they don't host a game.

For the fans, teams, and TV, I don't think a neutral site would be advantage.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

Dardanus said:

ahead of the game
    It would only be an advantage to the people in charge of the semifinal/"bowl game." The chairman of the fiesta bowl doesn't get paid if they don't host a game.

For the fans, teams, and TV, I don't think a neutral site would be advantage.
    That's why there won't be a fiesta bowl.
  • Options
    TommySQCTommySQC Member Posts: 5,813
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    dnc said:

a 16 team playoff

what a fucking dreckfest

16 teams should not be playing for a fucking national championship. If that happened last year, here's the shitty ass schedule that we would've seen:

1 Florida State
    2 Ohio State
    3 Auburn
    4 Alabama
    5 Missouri
    6 Oklahoma State
    7 Stanford
    8 South Carolina
    9 Baylor
    10 Michigan State
    11 Arizona State
    12 Oregon
    13 Clemson
    14 Northern Illinois
    15 LSU
    16 UCF

Yeah, I can name 12 teams there that don't deserve to be playing for the national championship. Hell, even 8 looks shitty.
    If any of them win four straight against the rest of that field they'd deserve the title.

See the NCAA tournament for details.

Hell, check any playoff anywhere. You let more in the field than deserve to be there so nobody has a legit gripe that they could have won the title. In hoops (which admittedly got too big with the move from 64 to 68) nobody complains about "we could have won the championship" they just complain "we should have made the tournament". That's the right level of controversy. What we have had with the 2 team playoff and legitimate championship caliber teams on the outside looking in is FS.

I'll be thrilled with an 8 team playoff, but Damone's right it's headed to 16, and the bowels will die. And in the process, we'll have a REAL national champion for once.

#HiOBK

NCAA tourney has gotten boring....I only watch the last two weekends. I couldn't give a fuck about the first weekend.