Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Metallica off the top rope from out of nowhere

13»

Comments

• Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    My hope is that, 10 years from now, I'm going to "discover" that there actually was some kick ass rock music coming out in the 20s and I just needed to give it a chance. That's what happened in the 2000s when I realized that I loved some 80s and early 90s metal and grunge.

I don't expect it though. There aren't any more interesting genre bending/fusion innovations coming. Someone just has to be really good at making rock music that draws on what's been done. Not impossible but difficult.
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,937
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022

dflea said:

Rock's not dead - Yella is just too old to find it any more. My kid tells me my music is stale and sends me CDs to play in my truck of new bands and there are some pretty good new rock/metal/thrash bands out there right now.

Since I'm a geezer, though, I scored GA tickets to the Metallica/Pantera/5 Finger Death Punch show so I can pretend it's 1992 and life kicks ass.

Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll ain't gonna die. Rock and roll ain't no pollution, rock and roll it will survive.

JFC @dflea ! Rock is dead. Let it go midget fish fucker, geezer.

Yes, there have been many great rock albums by new artists released in the past 10- 15 years. I own many of them and have seen many of these artists live.

But these artists aren't creating anything new and different than what came before. Rock as a genre is a senior citizen and the great new ideas have all been done. It doesn't dominate the culture or sales the way it did from its inception through the 1990s.
    How is that different than any other form of music at this point?

I will be at both nights of Metallica in 2024, assuming I'm still alive and living in the shithole state of Washington.
    I'd have to defer to my hip hop experts like @dnc to say if rap is dead or not. @RaceBannon can update us on Taylor Swift and pop music.

I don't think it's a controversial idea here to posit that genres can reach a state of maturity where it becomes increasingly more difficult to come up with new, ground breaking stuff. I mean, the birth of thrash/speed metal in the case of Metallica can only happen once.

When I say "rock is dead" I'm not saying seeing Metallica in 2024 wouldn't be kick ass. Hell, I'll go see them if they come to the Hayden Homes Ampatheater.

Side note- I wouldn't pay money to see the Rolling Stones or Who right now, but they are 20 years ahead of Metallica in the rock is dead phase.

• Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited December 2022

dflea said:

Rock's not dead - Yella is just too old to find it any more. My kid tells me my music is stale and sends me CDs to play in my truck of new bands and there are some pretty good new rock/metal/thrash bands out there right now.

Since I'm a geezer, though, I scored GA tickets to the Metallica/Pantera/5 Finger Death Punch show so I can pretend it's 1992 and life kicks ass.

Rock and roll ain't noise pollution, rock and roll ain't gonna die. Rock and roll ain't no pollution, rock and roll it will survive.

Yes, there have been many great rock albums by new artists released in the past 10- 15 years. I own many of them and have seen many of these artists live.

But these artists aren't creating anything new and different than what came before. Rock as a genre is a senior citizen and the great new ideas have all been done. It doesn't dominate the culture or sales the way it did from its inception through the 1990s.
    It will come back. It think sooner, than later. There is a lack of cool frontmen. Machine Gun Kelly is a goofy bastard, but he switched to rock and is probably the biggest "rock star." The reason is simple. He does drugs, fucks Megan Fox, gets Arrested, in fights, etc. Rock star behavior. You get a rock star that women want, combine it with good music, and profit.

Metal is dead. It’s not coming back. Rock will once they find the right star to pump out on TikTok and get the kids interested. The new age Mick Jagger is still a big star. Bowie would still be a star.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,378
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    While it's great that technology allows all sorts of bands and musicians to record it also is why super bands are generally a thing of the past.

Radio and MTV that played music allowed millions and millions to hear the same stuff. Similar to television

Now the market is way more segmented as in small

It's not good or bad it's the way it is

And Taylor Swift hasn't been the same since Red. At least as far as I care

I do think pop stars can gain a massive audience easier for some reason

Red is a masterpiece of pop by the way
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859
    Jagger would be wearing a snapback, Carhartts and a pair of Lucchese’s these days.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,937
    Swaye's Wigwam

While it's great that technology allows all sorts of bands and musicians to record it also is why super bands are generally a thing of the past.

Radio and MTV that played music allowed millions and millions to hear the same stuff. Similar to television

Sometimes I get "We Are Never Getting Back Together" getting stuck in my head.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,859

Sometimes I get "We Are Never Getting Back Together" getting stuck in my head.
    You should just shake it off.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

dflea said:

It will come back. It think sooner, than later. There is a lack of cool frontmen. Machine Gun Kelly is a goofy bastard, but he switched to rock and is probably the biggest "rock star." The reason is simple. He does drugs, fucks Megan Fox, gets Arrested, in fights, etc. Rock star behavior. You get a rock star that women want, combine it with good music, and profit.

Metal is dead. It’s not coming back. Rock will once they find the right star to pump out on TikTok and get the kids interested. The new age Mick Jagger is still a big star. Bowie would still be a star.
    Metal is the only genre of rock with a pulse right now. Machine Gun Kelly is a fag and makes music for teen girls.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

dflea said:

Metal is the only genre of rock with a pulse right now. Machine Gun Kelly is a fag and makes music for teen girls.
    Don’t really give a fuck about MGK either way, but he’s a mainstream artist. Teen girls are typically into those.

Metal doesn’t have a pulse. That’s an opinion that facts would not support.
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,146
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

dflea said:

Don’t really give a fuck about MGK either way, but he’s a mainstream artist. Teen girls are typically into those.

When you say it doesn’t have a pulse, you are partially right, because main stream radio will not even touch it anymore. Metal basically went non-commercial about 10 years ago but as far as metal bands go, there is a ton that are putting out material over and over and over but you basically have to subscribe to SiriusXM to get anything out of it.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,518
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

dflea said:

When you say it doesn’t have a pulse, you are partially right, because main stream radio will not even touch it anymore. Metal basically went non-commercial about 10 years ago but as far as metal bands go, there is a ton that are putting out material over and over and over but you basically have to subscribe to SiriusXM to get anything out of it.
    I listen to radio via Sirius and the only genre of rock putting out new music is metal. Everything else sounds like shitty WWE entry music from 5 years ago.
  • Options
    Founders Club

dflea said:

I listen to radio via Sirius and the only genre of rock putting out new music is metal. Everything else sounds like shitty WWE entry music from 5 years ago.
    Octane churns out hot garbage.
  • Options
    WestlinnDuckWestlinnDuck Member Posts: 13,924
    Standard Supporter
    Music is really fragmented in 2022 and don't see anything like this happening again unless Taylor Swift thinks she could pull a million. Energy is unbelievable.

https://ace.mu.nu/

Exceptional Live Performances
    In the late summer of 1991 - after the fall of the Iron Curtain but before the fall of the USSR - Metallica did a live show as a part of a larger rock festival in Moscow. By some estimates, more than a million Russians showed up for the concert. I don't know, but the scale of the audience is absolutely staggering, with cops and soldiers everywhere throughout the crowd. In this performance of "Enter Sandman" from that show, it is all on full display. It's worth paying closer attention around 4:10-4:25 because the number of people, the size of the speaker stacks, the energy level in the audience, the helicopters flying over the crowd, etc. are just astounding.

https://youtu.be/_W7wqQwa-TU
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam

Music is really fragmented in 2022 and don't see anything like this happening again unless Taylor Swift thinks she could pull a million. Energy is unbelievable.

In the late summer of 1991 - after the fall of the Iron Curtain but before the fall of the USSR - Metallica did a live show as a part of a larger rock festival in Moscow. By some estimates, more than a million Russians showed up for the concert. I don't know, but the scale of the audience is absolutely staggering, with cops and soldiers everywhere throughout the crowd. In this performance of "Enter Sandman" from that show, it is all on full display. It's worth paying closer attention around 4:10-4:25 because the number of people, the size of the speaker stacks, the energy level in the audience, the helicopters flying over the crowd, etc. are just astounding.

I think that keeps it's legendary status for longer than any of us will live. That's some energy.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    chuck said:

I think that keeps it's legendary status for longer than any of us will live. That's some energy.
    chuck said:

A million pissed off pent up Russians finding freedom by absolutely getting mind shredded by peak Metallica is as good as music gets.
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,064
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    edited December 2022
  • Options
    Founders Club
    edited December 2022
    Since we’re talking that Monsters of Rock show in Moscow. I’d be remiss if I didn’t include this insanity.

https://youtu.be/A0l3DP_k7wQ