Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Rock Pole: Who's greater - The Living or The Dead?

2»

Comments

• chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,586
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Dead- e.g., Lennon, Elvis, Hendrix, EVH, Cobain, Morrison, Berry, Bonham, Moon, Garcia, et al

There's a lotta ways to break this down. Let's start with greatest lead rock guitarists:

Dead
    Hendrix
    EVH
    Chuck Berry
    Duane Allman
    Randy Rhodes
    Mick Ronson
    Peter Green
    Jerry Garcia

Living

Clapton
    Jeff Beck
    Jimmy Page
    David Gilmour
    Carlos Santana
    Brian May
    Tommy Iommi
    Mark Knopfler
    Angus Young
    Alex Lifeson
    Joe Walsh
    Billy Gibbons
    Ry Cooder
    Kirk Hammett

The living list seems stronger to my eye.

Just looking at this again and I noted that the majority of the living list is probably not long for this world. That's pretty revealing about the direction of R&R frontmen.

As far as guitarists go, there seems to be plenty of yutes out there who are technically capable. Not many capable of writing and performing good music though.
  • YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,792
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Living- e.g., Dylan, McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant, Young, Fogerty, Simon, Townshend, Angus, et al
    chuck said:

There's a lotta ways to break this down. Let's start with greatest lead rock guitarists:

Dead
    Hendrix
    EVH
    Chuck Berry
    Duane Allman
    Randy Rhodes
    Mick Ronson
    Peter Green
    Jerry Garcia

Living

Clapton
    Jeff Beck
    Jimmy Page
    David Gilmour
    Carlos Santana
    Brian May
    Tommy Iommi
    Mark Knopfler
    Angus Young
    Alex Lifeson
    Joe Walsh
    Billy Gibbons
    Ry Cooder
    Kirk Hammett

The living list seems stronger to my eye.

Just looking at this again and I noted that the majority of the living list is probably not long for this world. That's pretty revealing about the direction of R&R frontmen.

As far as guitarists go, there seems to be plenty of yutes out there who are technically capable. Not many capable of writing and performing good music though.
    I don't really blame the Yutes @chuck in this respect. I'm sure there's thousands and thousands of young guitar players out there who are more technically gifted than, say, a Hendrix. Hell, even I can fax my way through the intro to Hey Joe on my American Strat (way nicer guitar than my ability level merits).

But when it comes to creating new art, it's better to be first than most technically gifted. There just aren't many new ideas left to try in Rock. In the mid 60s it was still most uncharted territory.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Dead- e.g., Lennon, Elvis, Hendrix, EVH, Cobain, Morrison, Berry, Bonham, Moon, Garcia, et al
    I was gonna go living until I sawr McCartney standing there
    Swaye's Wigwam
    The Living- e.g., Dylan, McCartney, Jagger/Richards, Page/Plant, Young, Fogerty, Simon, Townshend, Angus, et al
    LebamDawg said:

Watching McCartney sing at the 2012 Olympics gave me the sads.
  • LebamDawgLebamDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 8,510
    Swaye's Wigwam
    What we need is the all inclusive list of dead musical stars - all genres. The HardCoreHusky Dead List
  • RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

I’ve mentioned it before, Paul McCartney was the worst concert I’ve ever been to.
    Swaye's Wigwam

LebamDawg said:

I’ve mentioned it before, Paul McCartney was the worst concert I’ve ever been to.
    Seeing Paul in 1976 at the Kingdome would have been kewl. After that, pass.
  • Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    In 76 at the Dome, the sound was horrendous. I was in high skewl, and didn't care. He was a Beatle. Saw him at Key in the mid-oughts, the sound was good (where we were, anyway), he was good, and he was a Beatle.

Most, if not all of these guys (and gals) got royally ripped off by management / record companies during their peak years. Now that streaming / services has rendered vinyl (sorry, @Yella!) and other forms of purchasing recordings irrelevant as a massive payday, they can play to their fans, old and new, no record deals / new albums every 6 months (the old days), and rake the cake.

I think it was a Charlie Watts interview when he was asked why the Stones didn't retire (this may have been 20+ years ago). IIRC, he said, roughly "What else am I going to do?"...The big guys continue to write and record new music, but nobody buys it, and nobody wants to hear it live...they want the hits, and nothing but the hits, and are willing to pay a shitload of money to hear them. If you have hits, you have a paying audience.

They are musicians and entertainers, and that is what they do. I don't begrudge them for doing it, but it's my choice to spend the money, or not...

My question is will the young bucks of today be touring in their 50s? 60s?

Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

In 76 at the Dome, the sound was horrendous. I was in high skewl, and didn't care. He was a Beatle. Saw him at Key in the mid-oughts, the sound was good (where we were, anyway), he was good, and he was a Beatle.

Most, if not all of these guys (and gals) got royally ripped off by management / record companies during their peak years. Now that streaming / services has rendered vinyl (sorry, @Yella!) and other forms of purchasing recordings irrelevant as a massive payday, they can play to their fans, old and new, no record deals / new albums every 6 months (the old days), and rake the cake.

I think it was a Charlie Watts interview when he was asked why the Stones didn't retire (this may have been 20+ years ago). IIRC, he said, roughly "What else am I going to do?"...The big guys continue to write and record new music, but nobody buys it, and nobody wants to hear it live...they want the hits, and nothing but the hits, and are willing to pay a shitload of money to hear them. If you have hits, you have a paying audience.

They are musicians and entertainers, and that is what they do. I don't begrudge them for doing it, but it's my choice to spend the money, or not...

*29, March, 1990 was when you saw him.

Too much baseball CTE @Fishpo31

• Fishpo31Fishpo31 Member Posts: 2,235
    edited November 2022
    I saw Paul in the Kingdome in 76, and mid-oug

Fishpo31 said:

3 November, 2005. The wif looked it up…not disputing the CTE claim, btw…
    Maybe I need to refresh on the definition of “oughts”…
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Fishpo31 said:

I saw Paul in the Kingdome in 76, and mid-oug

Fishpo31 said:

3 November, 2005. The wif looked it up…not disputing the CTE claim, btw…
    Maybe I need to refresh on the definition of “oughts”…
    Oops. I was thinking 80s. I’ve had too many beers today.