Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

What is your skrongest DIY home maintenance/improvement skill set?

Comments

• Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Other

Using my cell phone to call a plumber, landscaper, carpenter, electrician who won't fuck things up.

The Throbber doesn't sound poor.

I'm only pour because Mrs. Snow has exceedingly expensive tastes in restaurants, travel, etc.

But I think no matter how much wealth a man has, you still gotta do some manly DIY stuff now and then, so you don't go soft. The most cuckish of my male neighbors are also the ones who are also completely incompetents when it comes to anything DIY.

You don't wanna we be like @creepycoug getting soft, supple hands and having to rely upon some Messicans every time your grass needs a mow.
    Those 12 acres and 3/4 mile of road at the GNR Compound don’t maintain themselves.

• Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,887
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

Using my cell phone to call a plumber, landscaper, carpenter, electrician who won't fuck things up.

I'm only pour because Mrs. Snow has exceedingly expensive tastes in restaurants, travel, etc.

But I think no matter how much wealth a man has, you still gotta do some manly DIY stuff now and then, so you don't go soft. The most cuckish of my male neighbors are also the ones who are also completely incompetents when it comes to anything DIY.

You don't wanna we be like @creepycoug getting soft, supple hands and having to rely upon some Messicans every time your grass needs a mow.
    Those 12 acres and 3/4 mile of road at the GNR Compound don’t maintain themselves.

You should get a heated driveway
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    Founders Club
    Landscaping

Decks

It was a hobby as a home owner. Built three of them. Ended up adding value too

I've never built a deck. But I did refinish both are front back ones last summer. I sanded them down entirely and then applied a nice stain. It's amazing how well 20 year old cedar holds up in dry climate. Fuck your Trex @CFetters_Nacho_Lover !!

My back yard has fake grass and fake wood and I like it!
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,857
    Founders Club
    Landscaping
    I can demo the shit outta anything, just don’t expect me to put it back together.

I joke with Mrs Nacho that I might start a fence board replacement company. Someone else can do the posts, I’ll do the boards.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,613
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

I can demo the shit outta anything, just don’t expect me to put it back together.

I joke with Mrs Nacho that I might start a fence board replacement company. Someone else can do the posts, I’ll do the boards.

I can do the hell out of posts. I'll join.
  • Options
    PurpleThrobberPurpleThrobber Member Posts: 41,803
    Other
    "can’t remember the last time he saw pussy will lead to a divorce."

New board motto.

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,955
    Founders Club
    General Carpentry
    These kind of starter questions sometimes lead to the most interesting threads
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

These kind of starter questions sometimes lead to the most interesting threads

Hence, why my name is on the building.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

Bought an old 3 story Victorian when the wife wanted to move back to Saint Louis. Over 8 years I renovated every room at least once, except the kitchen. Did most of the work myself (besides electrical and plumbing) for a couple of reasons:

1. Befitting her hotness, the ex-wife had expensive tastes. Hiring out, especially unique, true craftsman old world shit, was astronomical costs. Classic masonry/Tuck pointing a chimney worked out to around $250 an hour, plaster work almost that high, high end molding/cabinetry was over $100 an hour (nothing was standard, all custom before building codes). And that was 10 plus years ago.

Hell, even windows had to be custom and to properly fit the period needed to be lake cooled. Otherwise the lack of wave in the pane made it stand out like a genital wart.

2. The house was a gem and except for a 10 year period, either someone truly rich or a craftsman owned it. I could tell immediately when I started something who last worked on it. For the most part the craftsmanship was amazing. Hard to not meet the standard of the house and still feel like a man.

3. Just the overall volume. If I didn’t spend 12 hours a weekend and hired it out at normal prices I would have gone bankrupt. Labor wise I probably sunk at least a quarter million into that house.

And yes, this was an issue in the divorce. Man works all weekend and watches the kids as well and can’t remember the last time he saw pussy will lead to a divorce.

I was Demo guy, hole digger guy, and paint guy for my 2005- 06 remodel down the street from @89ute . Still was seeing bitch face ex wife pussy, but her lack of appreciation for my sweat and toil hastened the marital demise. This was a positive obviously.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

I am the ultimate poor, I guess.

Shop burned down, and I wanted a bigger and better replacement than I could afford, so I built it myself in my "spare time." Took five years, but I did nearly everything. Only subs I hired were tree removal (coolest fucking crew), foundation/slab (but he fucked up and I had to fix both), roof (but they fucked up, so I had to fix it), and mud/tape (but they fucked up, so I had to fix it). The things I did:

Pirated and learned Chief Architect and did all of the plans/permitting myself (saved $10K)
    Excavation (major help from a buddy who's an ace excavator operator, but I can do as well)
    Footing drain install
    Slap prep/compacting, installed insulation and tubing for in-floor radiant heat
    Trenching, conduit, and meter base installation for below-ground 320A (2x200) service (still haven't pulled wire from shop to house to replace the house's overhead service)
    Below and above-slab plumbing
    Diamond-grinding the whole foundation level
    All framing/truss installation
    Window/doors/siding/trim install
    Wall and attic insulation
    Drywall hanging
    100% of the electrical, from breaker panel install to conduit bending/hanging, lights, 3-phase sub-panel, etc.
    Diamond-ground and epoxy/polyurea the floor
    Bathroom
    Interior trim
    Paint inside and out (ran one of those college painting franchises for three years way back when)
    Forms, rebar, poured, and finished the 20' x 100' x 6" driveway (hired help for the pour and finishing)

With the exception of not having a kitchen, it's basically a house, and I was able to built it and totally hardscape my back acre for about $100K, including about $5K in tools that I get to keep, so well worth it.

Shortly after that, I was prodded by the Mrs. to replace the carpet in the master bedroom. Pulled the carpet up and found a horror show. Kept peeling the nightmare onion, and 18 months later had tore out and replaced the whole master suite floor structure and reframed it, tore two exterior walls out and reframed them, put the load-bearing bathroom wall that some dumbfuck in the '40s tore out back where it needs to be, built an entirely new bathroom (including making the concrete vanity top), rewired everything, and did all of the drywall work (was smart enough to not sub out the mud/tape/texture this time). Never buy a 100 year old house... On the bright side, the master bedroom is in an addition that was built in the 1940s. May of 1946, if I had to guess. That's the date on all of the newspaper we found between the two layers of floor, acting as a draft stop. I have some cool pictures of some of the scraps that didn't get destroyed in the demo.

I also tore out and replaced a ton of the house's plumbing while the family was out of town after Christmas a couple of years ago, installed the on-demand water heater, roofed a few houses back in the day, added a bathroom and bedroom downstairs, replaced the back porch. Odds and ends. I guess I'm poor enough to be very familiar with pretty much the entire list outside of rich-people-projects like irrigation and heater vent engineering.

Next summer, I get to start on tearing the house's exterior walls down to the studs, fixing the framing, replacing all of the windows, and residing. The other half of the driveway needs replaced, then it's finally done. Sort of.
    The pour man’s @Tequilla long, didn’t read.
  • Options
    PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,488
    Founders Club
    Other
    And FO row peter puffer for the floor vent jab.
  • Options
    BleachedAnusDawgBleachedAnusDawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,483
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    Painting / Staining

This. Teach your kids some life skills, too.

Dealership offers free oil changes for my purchase and I say fuck that and do it myself.
    I've done my own breaks once (under heavy, expert supervision) and my own oil once. It was cool to learn the process and it's not rocket science, but ultimately it's not my cup of tea. Plus we put so few miles on our cars these days both working from home (EMFA Elon) that there just aren't that many opportunities to save money on DIY oil changes.

Alas, the extent of my car maintenance DIY consists of cabin/engine air filters, wiper blades, and light bulbs. I suck. Lulz.
    Car repair is my bag, baby. I tracked my last car and took apart the entire suspension, brakes, interior, stereo, etc several times. Also had a ton of bolt-on modifications that I did to that car. Only thing I've never done is internal engine work as it never needed it due to proper maintenance even after putting 170,000 miles on the car.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Irrigation (sprinklers)

This. Teach your kids some life skills, too.

Dealership offers free oil changes for my purchase and I say fuck that and do it myself.
    I've done my own breaks once (under heavy, expert supervision) and my own oil once. It was cool to learn the process and it's not rocket science, but ultimately it's not my cup of tea. Plus we put so few miles on our cars these days both working from home (EMFA Elon) that there just aren't that many opportunities to save money on DIY oil changes.

Alas, the extent of my car maintenance DIY consists of cabin/engine air filters, wiper blades, and light bulbs. I suck. Lulz.
    Car repair is my bag, baby. I tracked my last car and took apart the entire suspension, brakes, interior, stereo, etc several times. Also had a ton of bolt-on modifications that I did to that car. Only thing I've never done is internal engine work as it never needed it due to proper maintenance even after putting 170,000 miles on the car.
    I wish I had the space, time, money and know how to own a classic 60s muscle car. Maybe in my next life with my 1967 Stingray 427.
  • Options
    whlinderwhlinder Member Posts: 4,273
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment
    Standard Supporter
    Other
    I am not a handy person but I’ve done a few things over the years.

Barn roof replacement and foundation replacement with my Uncle

Hung like 30 blinds and ceiling fans

Replaced plenty of sink faucets and lighting fixtures

Ripped up a basement carpet and put down flooring instead. Probably best thing I’ve done.

Landscaping- planted trees, bushes and other random stuff

Built steps off the house and laid a very small stone patio

Had a closet fixture break and tear up the drywall a month ago, so ripped all the old shit out, fixed the drywall, painted it and put in a nice new closet system.

Basic maintenance like caulking and sealing. I figure maintenance for stuff should fall to me and small projects. Big stuff to the pros.

• Options
    MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 37,781
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited November 2022
    Hiring immigrants to do the work.

I’ve paid my DIY dues. Now I’m rich and don’t want to fuck with those things.