Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Hardcore Husky Podcast: Someday there'll be a way to locate Roadkill

2»

Comments

• GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,487 Standard Supporter

I don't have FBA, just possible COVID.

I should also be back next week.

The move to ICU really improved the blood oxygen content.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,510 Founders Club

I love how you felt the need to qualify that you don't have FBA. Much like that recruit that took to Twitter to qualify that he actually got a scholie and wasn't just walking on
  • CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,975 Founders Club

The move to Friday Harbor ICU really improved the blood oxygen content.
    GRUNDLE STOp
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,945 Swaye's Wigwam

I love how you felt the need to qualify that you don't have FBA. Much like that recruit that took to Twitter to qualify that he actually got a scholie and wasn't just walking on
    When I remind everyone that I don't actually have hiv, and never actually had hiv as part of my handle, it's not the same. Just saying.
  • CanadawgCanadawg Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 4,391 Swaye's Wigwam
    The fact that Washington players don't want to play for Washington that extensively is jarring. No team in the country can have success (for their invidual standards) without any of their local players staying home
    Canadawg said:

The fact that Washington players don't want to play for Washington that extensively is jarring. No team in the country can have success (for their invidual standards) without any of their local players staying home

They did just a few years ago. UW had an either-or moment on the approach to NIL Either embrace it and use the same sales pitch as the school's who cared, or do what UW did.
    chuck said:

Canadawg said:

They did just a few years ago. UW had an either-or moment on the approach to NIL Either embrace it and use the same sales pitch as the school's who cared, or do what UW did.
    I have a hard time believing that it all boils down to NIL
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,539 Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Really? Was salary not a primary consideration when you applied for your job? To me, it's never been more cut and dry.
  • DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 62,510 Founders Club

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Really? Was salary not a primary consideration when you applied for your job? To me, it's never been more cut and dry.
    Things are different in Canada
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,286 Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

I assume a lot of it is NIL. I'm sure Lake and his staff's lack of effort recruiting played a factor, as did bottoming out and schools weirdly recruiting Washington who I feel like don't really need to like Oklahoma and Notre Dame.

I'm not dooging as I don't know if it would be a good strategy but I wouldn't be shocked if the staff now has picked up on that outside of a few top guys like Emeka and JT, Washington prospects have started to suck in recent years and you might be better off just getting someone from outside of the region.

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Well if I just wanted to make money I'd go roll around in the Alberta mud working the oil fields. So I guess not. I don't think many guys around the country are making significant money from NIL unless they are borderline 5 star so most of the guys UW is missing out on in state shouldn't be in that group very often
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,577 Founders Club

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

A great, great movie.
    Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

I do believe so. Sure Lake and staff's lack of effort and ineptitude were a setback but that could've been easily overcome.

It's not necessarily delivering big checks to a bunch of 4* recruits that im referring to though. As it turns out I don't think that's what is really going on except in some extreme cases. It's more just the approach the program takes to it. UW chose to diminish it, treat it like a chance for an extra education in small time enterprise, and emphasize "fairness" between sports.

The smart schools embraced the exciting (for 17 year olds) wild west aspect and sold a vision that UW wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole. UW broadcasted their unwillingness to play that game far and wide and before it even got rolling.

We were never in the game, and there's no recovering without a complete philosophical shift. It's all about NIL.
  • 1to392831weretaken1to392831weretaken Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 7,539 Swaye's Wigwam
    Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Well if I just wanted to make money I'd go roll around in the Alberta mud working the oil fields. So I guess not. I don't think many guys around the country are making significant money from NIL unless they are borderline 5 star so most of the guys UW is missing out on in state shouldn't be in that group very often
    Texas A&M's 2022 recruiting class was rumored to have cost their boosters $30 million. That's over a million per player average. If that's even $100K to the lowest paid recruit, I would done unspeakable things for $100K when I was 18.

My stance predates NIL. It's ALWAYS been about the money for a significant percentage of high end prospects, NIL has just turbocharged it. Hell, didn't Lendale White just reveal that $150K cash was waiting for him in his apartment one day? There are Reddit subs dedicated to the ridiculous cars Alabama football players drive.

When UW was really good, it was partly because they were paying for really good players. There's just too much evidence of all of this at this point to still doubt the impact.
  • JoeyJoey Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,577 Founders Club

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

A great, great movie.
    Underrated and not sure if they purposely made a parody of American proxy wars or not but it holds up
  • WoolleyDoogWoolleyDoog Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 3,286 Swaye's Wigwam

Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Texas A&M's 2022 recruiting class was rumored to have cost their boosters $30 million. That's over a million per player average. If that's even $100K to the lowest paid recruit, I would done unspeakable things for $100K when I was 18.

My stance predates NIL. It's ALWAYS been about the money for a significant percentage of high end prospects, NIL has just turbocharged it. Hell, didn't Lendale White just reveal that $150K cash was waiting for him in his apartment one day? There are Reddit subs dedicated to the ridiculous cars Alabama football players drive.

When UW was really good, it was partly because they were paying for really good players. There's just too much evidence of all of this at this point to still doubt the impact.
    I've said on here a million times I actually support an NIL program, but the way the NCAA let it unfold was the absolute worst, especially for the long-term health of the sport.

The sad part to me is if Petersen wasn't so stubborn and had just embraced NIL in the best way that he could have he could have killed it with the pitch of players getting some of the pay they deserve but also be developed for the NFL and the real money and long-term success as a person.

Canadawg said:

Canadawg said:

chuck said:

Canadawg said:

Come on. There's a few big named QBs making huge money then there's a very steep drop off. That accounts for the top 2-3 players from Washington in any given year but doesn't explain why the next 5 are leaving. Nobody is paying anything noteworthy for low 4*/high 3* players