Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Bye week changes incoming?

What do we think changes coming out of the bye week? Doofuses on the P12 radio channel this AM felt like the defense will take a step forward out of the bye, including some personnel changes.

All I know is that if UW can't beat Oregon State at home coming off a bye...shut it down.

Comments

• RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,888 Founders Club
    There are two kinds of coaches

Those who use the bye week to clean some things up and Sark

Cue if you give Don James more than a week to prepare he wins hot blast from the past
  • HouhuskyHouhusky Member Posts: 5,537
    At this point what even is there to teach the defense?

Outside of giving bruener and olofoshio some playing time what else can be done mid season with a secondary that would get burned by Taylor Bean and his rowboat WR intramural team?

Play more zone???
    Perryman gets smoked so badly his man coverage often looks like a zone. Play everyone I guess and see if someone pops. But it’s going to probably be bad for awhile, bargain bin portal and true freshman 3 stars aren’t the best place to find immediate DB stars.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam
    Houhusky said:

Outside of giving bruener and olofoshio some playing time what else can be done mid season with a secondary that would get burned by Taylor Bean and his rowboat WR intramural team?

Play more zone???
    Perryman gets smoked so badly his man coverage often looks like a zone. Play everyone I guess and see if someone pops. But it’s going to probably be bad for awhile, bargain bin portal and true freshman 3 stars aren’t the best place to find immediate DB stars.

Exactly. The players are what they are for now.

Maybe enough time for film study and some subtle adjustments will help camouflage some of the ineptitude of the DBs. Maybe Bright lands his useless ass on the bench and runner and Moll up their production.

The personnel needs an upgrade, period. The defensive coaches may suck too, they probably do, but you can't deny the lack of talent.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,055 Standard Supporter
    chuck said:

Houhusky said:

Play more zone???

Maybe enough time for film study and some subtle adjustments will help camouflage some of the ineptitude of the DBs. Maybe Bright lands his useless ass on the bench and runner and Moll up their production.

The personnel needs an upgrade, period. The defensive coaches may suck too, they probably do, but you can't deny the lack of talent.
    You also can’t deny their insistence on putting Jordan perryman in man coverage for whatever reason.

The defensive coaches do not get a pass.
  • PurpleBazePurpleBaze Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 29,797 Founders Club
    Nothing will change with me.
  • chuckchuck Member, Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,957 Swaye's Wigwam

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

Play more zone???

You also can’t deny their insistence on putting Jordan perryman in man coverage for whatever reason.

I didn't give one. I guess that bears repeating though, warranted by the quoted post or not.
  • haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 21,623 Swaye's Wigwam
    Not seeing a lot of "Here's me kissing some high school coach's ass" stuff on Twitter.

Even Yimmy did it a little bit last year, when he was clearly done at UW.

Dickert did it a bunch last week.

Dunno what it means for this staff.

Either way it'll be interesting.
  • FireTheJanitorFireTheJanitor Member Posts: 1,483
    haie said:

Not seeing a lot of "Here's me kissing some high school coach's ass" stuff on Twitter.

Even Yimmy did it a little bit last year, when he was clearly done at UW.

Dickert did it a bunch last week.

Dunno what it means for this staff.

Either way it'll be interesting.

As much as I like the offensive scheme, and as many passes as I’m willing to give regarding defensive talent, the lack of ANY buzz on the recruiting trail is a major red flag for me. I’ve fluctuated in how I feel about the staff and overall have trended doog, but the longer we go with no noticeable improvement in either recruiting or individual performance on the defense, the more red flags I see. Maybe the Garfield kid can start turning the local tide in recruiting (doubtful tbh) because there are plenty of 2024 kids locally that these guys should be leg humping. At the same time, don’t know that I’ve seen any reports of UW coaches at any local HS games this year (I’m not very plugged in and don’t pay $10.95 so maybe I’m wrong, but I do read the boreds).

LIPO w/ moderate enthusiasm is quickly shifting back to more of the same: roster with holes everywhere and a one dimensional ability to win games.
  • AtomicDawgAtomicDawg Member Posts: 7,055 Standard Supporter
    edited October 2022
    chuck said:

chuck said:

Houhusky said:

Play more zone???

I didn't give one. I guess that bears repeating though, warranted by the quoted post or not.
    Not saying you gave them a pass. You said “may” suck though. I just wanted it clear for the record our defensive staff is awful especially in the secondary and at the coordinator level. This is one of the worst pass defenses I’ve seen at uw and they’re doing it with a pretty decent pass rush.
  • HFNYHFNY Member Posts: 4,635
    I am hoping for the triple play during the bye week:

1. Guys like Powell, Perryman, and Turner get to 100%.

2. The position coaches teach them, that if they are actually called on to play bump and run coverage, that they must severely bump the opposing receiver to give the pass rush a half second more to get home to the QB. I have seen veterans like Perryman and Alex Cook (see the ASU game, though AC shouldn't have been playing press coverage against a WR in the slot in the 4th quarter in the first place as he was predictably burned).

3. The Co D-Coordinators finally understand that the personnel they have isn't the best for much-more-often-than-not press coverage. Even if Perryman is 100% going into the OSU game, he should still have help over the top more often. Perryman and Powell do have exquisite long arms but let's face it, they aren't shutdown guys. I can't believe I'm saying this but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to see more Cover 3 with Perryman, Turner, and Powell being the 3 deep guys and Hampton being part of the 4 under.
  • Lawrence_of_a_LabiaLawrence_of_a_Labia Member Posts: 473
    Babushka’s Holy War