Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Everything Chip Kelly said about Oregon during his weekly press conference

Comments

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,328
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    While on the Duck sideline, everyone was a faceless opponent and no game was more important than any other game.

But over the years, Kelly’s stance on that might have changed, or possibly Oregon is just different since he actually wore green and yellow for a few years. He had plenty of positive things to say about the Ducks in his weekly press conference leading up to the game featuring two Top 10 teams.

When he was at his best

Drove doogs crazy
  • Options
    thechatchthechatch Member Posts: 5,560
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Kelly has UCLA absolutely humming on offense.

They’re scoring at a higher PPD rate than any of his years as the Oregon HC.

Nearly 4pts per drive excluding garbage time. That’s impressive.
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2022

While on the Duck sideline, everyone was a faceless opponent and no game was more important than any other game.

But over the years, Kelly’s stance on that might have changed, or possibly Oregon is just different since he actually wore green and yellow for a few years. He had plenty of positive things to say about the Ducks in his weekly press conference leading up to the game featuring two Top 10 teams.

When he was at his best

Drove doogs crazy

Gimmicky offense

Gimmicky uniforms

Soft and gimmicky

Fat and gay

Lache Seastrunk!

Blondes in athletic offices who have the hots for Grinolds

Oregon's dead

Just what I was hearing

You only point out when I'm wrong

Yes, that Doogcade was special
  • Options
    thechatch said:

Saturday will be very revealing for a lot of programs - not just UO/UCLA - based on how that game goes.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

When he was at his best

Drove doogs crazy

Gimmicky offense

Gimmicky uniforms

Soft and gimmicky

Fat and gay

Lache Seastrunk!

Blondes in athletic offices who have the hots for Grinolds

Oregon's dead

Just what I was hearing

You only point out when I'm wrong

Yes, that Doogcade was special
    Chinned for Lache Seastrunk.
  • Options

When he was at his best

Drove doogs crazy

An assassin.

Watching old games with him on the sideline is something different. He’s never recaptured who or what he was at that time.

This is a one off season for him until it isn’t.
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    You would hope that with DTR going into his 20th year at UCLA he'd have Chip's O dialed in by now. Never forget that Dillion Gabriel was headed there until OU came calling.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club

thechatch said:

Saturday will be very revealing for a lot of programs - not just UO/UCLA - based on how that game goes.
    Like when UW loses to Cal?
  • Options

thechatch said:

Disagree. It’s a college football cliche that “We’re really going to find out about this team this week.”

College football doesn’t work that way.

If it did Oregon is smashing Washington based on the Arizona and Standford games.

None of us believe that to be the case.
  • Options

thechatch said:

If UW loses to Cal this year, just shut it down, put it up on the rack and give it a complete diagnosis.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

thechatch said:

Disagree. It’s a college football cliche that “We’re really going to find out about this team this week.”

If it did Oregon is smashing Washington based on the Arizona and Standford games.

Disagree. If they handle UCLA rather easily then I don't see them losing another game. I don't think we will handle them easily. We all know how good a coach Chip is. After a bye week, beating him, even in Autzen is going to be tough.
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    Standard Supporter
    46XiJCAB said:

thechatch said:

If UW loses to Cal this year, just shut it down, put it up on the rack and give it a complete diagnosis.
    Really should have done so after the loss to Montana.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

Disagree. If they handle UCLA rather easily then I don't see them losing another game. I don't think we will handle them easily. We all know how good a coach Chip is. After a bye week, beating him, even in Autzen is going to be tough.
    So if Oregon wins by 4 what does that mean? .500 rest of the way? Or do we have to wait until Utah to REALLY see what this team is made of?

If a blowout means something so would any other result.

Individual game results mean nothing. They are vastly overrated in college football due to so few games and unbalanced schedules. It’s just something we tell ourselves.
  • Options
    After Oregon takes care of UCLA by whatever margin, they’re going to kick the shit out of Utah.
  • Options
    haiehaie Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 20,481
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I don't know who is coming out of the 4 team race to make the championship game in Vegas, but either way I'm rooting for 46X and his crew to jump headfirst into Triangle Lake.
  • Options
    haie said:

I don't know who is coming out of the 4 team race to make the championship game in Vegas, but either way I'm rooting for 46X and his crew to jump headfirst into Triangle Lake.

Too late as I’ve already done that many times. I was out having fun as a teen.

You? You were the loser sitting at home watching Star Trek reruns. Friendless.

You were also the kid picking your nose in the back of the class. Still friendless.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

thechatch said:

I mean, yeah, the transitive property arguments get real stupid real fast. That's why I tend to make fun of those arguments, which are invariably based in homer-bias thinking and typically used to substantiate an argument someone wants to make. With that said, there has been some small amount of sorting going on in the conference and a lot more to come. As much as I hate to say (hi @coronabruin ), UCLA has done enough relative to schedule to suggest they are one of the top teams in the conference. Arguably Ute as well by beating SC. UCLA will be the tell on what Oregon is this season, but agree it doesn't mean that they're then set up to wax UW. That's a difference game altogether.

• Options

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

So if Oregon wins by 4 what does that mean? .500 rest of the way? Or do we have to wait until Utah to REALLY see what this team is made of?

Individual game results mean nothing. They are vastly overrated in college football due to so few games and unbalanced schedules. It’s just something we tell ourselves.
    I agree that they are not mathematical proofs informing what will happen in the future. But they do inform. For example, if a team hasn't played anybody yet and then wins or loses big when they do play somebody, you have relevant information as the result of that game. Look at UW for a recent example. Running through the first part of their schedule had hopes pretty high, and then Michigan State continued to show who they are and then UW ran into UCLA. All of sudden, the party has been put on hold even with a 5-2 record.

The games mean something.
  • Options
    trubluetrublue Member Posts: 3,042
    edited October 2022
    What is meaningful so far this season is beating teams when playing on the road (away games) . . . e.g., See Washington vs. UCLA & ASU.
  • Options
    edited October 2022

SFGbob said:

thechatch said:

I agree that they are not mathematical proofs informing what will happen in the future. But they do inform. For example, if a team hasn't played anybody yet and then wins or loses big when they do play somebody, you have relevant information as the result of that game. Look at UW for a recent example. Running through the first part of their schedule had hopes pretty high, and then Michigan State continued to show who they are and then UW ran into UCLA. All of sudden, the party has been put on hold even with a 5-2 record.

The games mean something.
    The games matter as a whole which I stated earlier. Not individually as an indicator wether or not a team is good or can beat another team down the road.

UO getting beat by Arizona in 2014 while smashing everyone else to bits. Then again by ASU in 2019 as a couple of examples. Neither game on the calendar had people saying “This week will tell us what Oregon is really about.” And if they had they would have been wrong. You can have a bad day or a good day that is no indication of how you will perform the next week or the week after.

It’s just not. College football is far and away the best example of it not being the case yet it’s where we say it the most.