Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Dan Lanning so far

greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,278
First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment Combo Breaker
edited October 2022 in Duck Refuge
The defense still needs work. However, the offense looks as good as I’ve ever seen it.

Troy Franklin looks like the best WR Oregon has had in almost a decade.

Bucky Irving and Whittington run hard and never seem to lose yards.

Great TE room

The offensive line is stout. Giving up one sack for about a half a yard all season.

I love how they spread the field sideline to sideline, and aren’t afraid to go vertical.

I’m glad Flowe got moved to the second unit on defense. He has a ton of physical talent, but plays with no disciplined. Any kind of misdirection or play fake fools Flowe every time.

As of right now, I can’t say Lanning is a home run, but he’s at least a single and maybe a stretched double. Ucla will determine if he’s a stand up double.

Comments

• Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    You should be able to name your score vs UW
  • Options
    edited October 2022

You should be able to name your score vs UW

Offensively for sure. Defense is another story. UW will be able to score pretty much at will.
  • Options
    DerekJohnsonDerekJohnson Administrator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 59,983
    Founders Club
    Bucky Irving >> Becky London
  • Options
    46XiJCAB46XiJCAB Member Posts: 20,967
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    The guy responsible for making sure the kegs were taken care of at UGA was obviously paying attention at his multiple stops. And Kenny D. may not have made a single offensive call at any of his stops but he too was obviously paying attention. Tosh, the jury is still out but improvement has been made.
  • Options
    ntxduckntxduck Member Posts: 5,515
    5 Awesomes First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment
    It’s nice to have coaches that grew up playing madden/ncaa and actually understand clock management.

It’s even more glaring after experiencing 4 years with the worst game manager in cfb.

Also nice to see improvement week to week

The rest? LIPO
  • Options
    SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,920
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter

The defense still needs work. However, the offense looks as good as I’ve ever seen it.

Great TE room

The offensive line is stout. Giving up one sack for about a half a yard all season.

I love how they spread the field sideline to sideline, and aren’t afraid to go vertical.

I’m glad Flowe got moved to the second unit on defense. He has a ton of physical talent, but plays with no disciplined. Any kind of misdirection or play fake fools Flowe every time.

As of right now, I can’t say Lanning is a home run, but he’s at least a single and maybe a stretched double. Ucla will determine if he’s a stand up double.

I'm withholding judgement until we actually play someone. Stanford, Arizona and WSU aren't exactly murders row. That said, Irving is a very impressive back.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes

Great TE room

Go ahead and get all the screenshots you need but I think Oregons defense is secretly pretty decent.

Theory to be tested next Saturday.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited October 2022
    If the UCLA Oregon battle of the unbeatens with the return of Chip was in the south it would be the highest rated game of the week rather easily. I know I'm more interested in it than whoever my DAWGS are playing

8 clap
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

If the UCLA Oregon battle of the unbeatens with the return of Chip was in the south it would be the highest rated game of the week rather easily. I know I'm more interested in it than whoever my DAWGS are playing

8 clap

Beating Utah gives UCLA the far more impressive resume. Oregon got blown out in it's only big game. I'm willing to buy into the narrative about a 1st year coach playing his first game, on the road, against a far superior team. If they beat UCLA comfortably I'm on the Lanning bandwagon.
  • Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,301
    Swaye's Wigwam
    I agree. Beating UW turned out to be no big deal for the Bruins

Being physical enough to beat Utah was impressive
  • Options
    creepycougcreepycoug Member Posts: 22,741
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Photogenic
    edited October 2022

Great TE room

Taking these in turn:

1. Not quite to Chip levels yet. Peak Chip could run up a score on anybody. Peak Chip packed Harbaugh's shit down on the farm when they really had it going on. That offense often appeared like they were playing with an extra guy. Like Bob said, let's see them after UCLA, and I'd add Ute to that. If they can run up numbers on them, then you know you have an offense.

2. I still say running off Carrington was one of the dumbest things I've seen a coach do. He was really good, but Franklin is close. Also, is Kris Hutson retarded? He's always getting chewed out for something really dumb.

3. Bucky's good and Oregon seems to have a deep bench at RB.

4. Agreed. Never understood why Cristobal and Co. didn't use the TEs more. Same thing at Miami, and he has two really good ones down there, and he uses them mostly when he's in trouble (which is often now) and it's too late.

5. This little bit of credit should go to the coach you all love to hate now. More than anything, Mario left you an O line. Good luck next year.

6. Agreed. The deep game is developing for the Ducks.

7. Flowe seems like a hyper-active kid who is just a little too juiced up (figuratively and, perhaps, literally). He reminds me of a Hurricane linebacker from years ago ... Rohan Marley (yes, Bob's son). Not tall or big but wickedly fast and was full speed 100% of the time. He just threw himself at and into whatever at full tilt. There wasn't much planning with that guy and he was somewhat of a mindless heat-seeking missile, but I'll say he was pretty effective at the college level.
  • Options

Great TE room

Go ahead and get all the screenshots you need but I think Oregons defense is secretly pretty decent.

Theory to be tested next Saturday.
    They certainly got the transfer of the off-season in Gonzalez. That kid can play. How TF do players like that wind up at places like Colorado?
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    edited October 2022
    I don't think Chip ever beat Harbaugh at Stanford when "they really had it going on," Lost to them in 2009, beat them at Autzen in 2010 and beat them down at the farm in 2011 but Harbaugh was gone by then.

Sample size is far too small to compare what's going on now to Chip.
  • Options
    MikeSeaverMikeSeaver Member Posts: 4,405
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes First Comment 5 Awesomes
    SFGbob said:

I don't think Chip ever beat Harbaugh at Stanford when "they really had it going on," Lost to them in 2009, beat them at Autzen in 2010

Isn’t 2010 the answer?

In 2010 Standford when 12-1 with the only loss to Oregon. They finished ranked #4 and beat VaTech in the Orange Bowl.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    2010 game wasn't down on the Farm. It was in Eugene.

• Options
    edited October 2022
    In 2011, #6 Oregon handed undefeated #3 Stanford their first loss on the season in a 53-30 drubbing at Stanford Stadium and shut the Cardinal out of the BCS Championship Game once again.

Forgot that Harbaugh had left after 2010. But that was essentially Shaw's 2 - loss team version of Larry Coker winning the national championship with Butch Davis' 2001 Hurricanes. So, close enough in my book, but error noted. A game a lot of people thought would result in Oregon getting their asses handed to them by intellectual brutality.

Darron Thomas was great in that game and, IMO, a very underrated Oregon QB of the past.

• Options

In 2011, #6 Oregon handed undefeated #3 Stanford their first loss on the season in a 53-30 drubbing at Stanford Stadium and shut the Cardinal out of the BCS Championship Game once again.

Forgot that Harbaugh had left after 2010. But that was essentially Shaw's 2 - loss team version of Larry Coker winning the national championship with Butch Davis' 2001 Hurricanes. So, close enough in my book, but error noted. A game a lot of people thought would result in Oregon getting their asses handed to them by intellectual brutality.

Darron Thomas was great in that game and, IMO, a very underrated Oregon QB of the past.

This win and the 65-38 beat down, ripping the hearts of Beaver fans in Reeser are two of the most memorable road wins in my book.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter

Darron Thomas was the perfect chip QB. Oregon beat the Andy Luck led Trees two of the 3 times they played. Luck won his freshman year down at the Farm when Oregon couldn't stop Toby Gerhart.
  • Options
    Standard Supporter
    All time favorite Chip era Oregon Conference games.

In no particular order: At Arizona with MaStoley at QB overtime win. 2009 Cal game. 2009 USC Halloween game in Autzen. 2010 and 2011 Standford games. 2008 Beav game. Should have put 70 on them.
  • Options
    SFGbob said:

All time favorite Chip era Oregon Conference games.

In no particular order: At Arizona with MaStoley at QB overtime win. 2009 Cal game. 2009 USC Halloween game in Autzen. 2010 and 2011 Standford games. 2008 Beav game. Should have put 70 on them.

The 2007 road game at Michigan when he was OC, was pretty fucking cool too.