Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Cool NBA challenge. what say you guys?

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    edited May 2014
    Yeah I have no idea why anyone would choose Malone or even Barkley for that matter at that price. Best to go cheap at PF to save for either magic, Jordan, Lebron or kareem
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,453
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment blah
    Truthfully I feel like a fucktard going $5 on Lebron when I can get Bird for $4 or shit even Durant at $2.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs

Truthfully I feel like a fucktard going $5 on Lebron when I can get Bird for $4 or shit even Durant at $2.

The debate recently seems to be whether or not LBJ has passed Bird as the greatest SF ever. It's close. You really can't go wrong with either and which one you prefer probably has as much to do with personal preference as anything else.

At this point, LBJ has played 842 games in his career over 11 years. He's averaging 27.5 points per game (shooting splits of .497 FG%, .747 FT%, and .347 3 point %), 7.2 rebounds per game, 6.9 assists per game, 1.7 steals per game, and 0.8 blocks per game. He has a career usage rate of 31.6%. He's a devastating slasher to the rim with a shooting percentage this year of 80% of the shots he takes within 3 feet of the basket and 55% from 3-10 feet (which prior to this year he'd never broken 50%).

For Bird's career, he played in 897 games (which included a 6 game '88-'89 season and his last year playing 45 with a brutal back), so this is actually a good time to compare the two. For his career, he averaged 24.3 points per game (shooting splits of .496, .886, and .376), 10.0 rebounds per game, 6.3 assists per game, 1.7 steals per game, and 0.8 blocks per game. He had a career usage rate of 26.5%. While LBJ is one of the best slashers to ever play the game, Bird is one of the best shooters to ever play the game.

To me, it's not that one is better than the other. They are just different types of players. If you want more of a slasher and someone that has the ability to purely dominate the game with his athletic ability, then you take LBJ. If you want someone who is going to make the big shots when needed but can have a profound impact on the game without taking 20 shots, than you go with Bird. LBJ was probably the better on the ball defender but Bird was a very underrated weakside defender.

In the end, I expect that LBJ will be viewed as the better player than Bird simply because the numbers will eventually dwarf Bird's. But the primary difference in my eyes when you look at these two players offensively is that LBJ has a slightly higher usage rate, takes on average 1 extra shot per game, and gets to the line just a little bit more often. Otherwise, while they are dramatically different players, the results are incredibly comparable.

• Options
    CuntWaffleCuntWaffle Member Posts: 22,493
    First Anniversary 5 Fuck Offs 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    edited May 2014

I feel like you pretty much have to start with a MJ/Duncan shell. Jordan for obvious reasons and the value of Duncan is too much of a steal.

So that leaves $7 for the PG, PF, C. I thought about going Stockton... but I think I would have chosen KD over Dr. J and Shaq over Chamberlain anyways.

I have a bias towards IT... loved the way he use to play.

Bottom line... the squad I chose has 16 cumulative rings, (MJx6, Duncanx4, Shaqx4, ITx2)... enough said on that.
  • Options
    All Ring team: Frazier, Jordan, Pippen, Duncan, Kareem

24 rings.
  • Options

24 rings.

Nope - not the all ring team:

PG: Magic = 5 rings ($5)
    SG: Kobe Bryant = 5 rings ($4)
    SF: Scottie Pippen = 6 rings ($1)
    PF: Kevin Garnett = 1 ring ($1)
    C: Bill Russell = 11 rings ($4)

Team Total = 28 rings ($15)
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

24 rings.

Nope - not the all ring team:

PG: Magic = 5 rings ($5)
    SG: Kobe Bryant = 5 rings ($4)
    SF: Scottie Pippen = 6 rings ($1)
    PF: Kevin Garnett = 1 ring ($1)
    C: Bill Russell = 11 rings ($4)

Team Total = 28 rings ($15)
    Haha gdi don't know how I forgot Russell on the list. Didn't cross my mind not to put Jordan on their either. Nice work.
  • Options
    Wrong again
    Pg Frazier 2 rings 1$
    SF Jordan 6 rings 5$
    Sf pIppen 6 rings 1$
    PF Duncan 4 rings 3$
    C Russell 11 rings 4$
    14$ 29 rings
  • Options
    The Magic, Wade, Bird, KG, and Russell team has 23 total rings (5 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 11) and 32 NBA Finals Appearances (9 + 4 + 5 + 2 + 12)
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    edited May 2014
    dhdawg said:

Wrong again
    Pg Frazier 2 rings 1$
    SF Jordan 6 rings 5$
    Sf pIppen 6 rings 1$
    PF Duncan 4 rings 3$
    C Russell 11 rings 4$
    14$ 29 rings

Some classless motherfucker already picked this team, though it's actually 30 rings because I have KG on my bench.

The ultimate all rings team is my starting five with Wade's 3 rings coming off the bench. 32 rings.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    edited May 2014
    Tequilla said:

The Magic, Wade, Bird, KG, and Russell team has 23 total rings (5 + 3 + 3 + 1 + 11) and 32 NBA Finals Appearances (9 + 4 + 5 + 2 + 12)

Frazier, Jordan, Pippen, Duncan, Russell starting lineup has 29 rings but even more impressively has a 29-2 record in the Finals. Unless I'm forgetting something Walt's Knicks losing to the Lakers in 72 and Duncan's Spurs losing to the Heat in 13 are the only blemishes. Walt avenged that loss the next year, could Duncan do the same?

Edit: I guess Russell lost one. Too lazy to look it up but I bet he avenged it at some point.
  • Options
    For me I started with Lebron/MJ then went from there. I feel like those two can do so much offensively and defensively they give you so much versatility. Plus I had Stockton, Dirk and Olajuwon who are all shooters and high basketball IQ.

Another shell to start with is MJ/Russell who are IMO the two greatest players to ever play the game.
  • Options
    As for Lebron-Bird. For offense yes they are comparable but when you factor in defense Lebron has surpassed him IMO.

There was nobody better than Bird from 1981-1986 problem is he broke down after 1987 and was never the same.
  • Options
    HeretoBeatmyChestHeretoBeatmyChest Member Posts: 4,295
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Anniversary First Comment
    Pippen, MJ, LBJ, Shaq & Ossai at PF.
  • Options

As for Lebron-Bird. For offense yes they are comparable but when you factor in defense Lebron has surpassed him IMO.

There was nobody better than Bird from 1981-1986 problem is he broke down after 1987 and was never the same.

I would say he was the best '83-'84 to '87-'88 before he broke down. You could argue his best year in the league was '88 when he averaged 29.9 points per game.

No question that LBJ was the superior on ball defender. I do think that Bird is often under appreciated as a defensive player. 4 times he led the league in defensive win shares.

LBJ has probably passed Bird for 5th all time at this point. I don't think he's passed Magic yet. Still a long way to go to get to Kareem.
  • Options
    6 players, 1 coach, 20 dollars
  • Options
    Westbrook, Harden, Lebron, Duncan, Noah, Pop, George
  • Options
    Curry, Johnson, LBJ, Durant, Aldridge, Noah, and Pop

Let LBJ play with the ball in his hand ... surround him with shooters ... Aldridge can play the 5 in a small ball lineup ... Noah gives a strong defensive force in the middle.
  • Options
    Tequilla said:

I would say he was the best '83-'84 to '87-'88 before he broke down. You could argue his best year in the league was '88 when he averaged 29.9 points per game.

No question that LBJ was the superior on ball defender. I do think that Bird is often under appreciated as a defensive player. 4 times he led the league in defensive win shares.

LBJ has probably passed Bird for 5th all time at this point. I don't think he's passed Magic yet. Still a long way to go to get to Kareem.
    I wasn't trying to say Bird was a bad defender. Just with Lebron's versatility defensively that puts him above anyone when it comes to defense talk among wing players/forwards.

Anyways sounds like we have similar top 6.

Mine is

1A. Jordan
    1B. Russell
    1C. Kareem
    4. Magic
    5. Lebron
    6. Bird
    7. Wilt
    8. Duncan(has a big finals this year with a title I might put him ahead of Wilt)
    9. Shaq
    10. Kobe
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,474
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Magic, Jordan, Durant, Shaq, Ossai.

The front court would average 350 and be ready to rumble night in and night out.