Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

PM to all the Fast Strategy kids we won't be offering

13»

Comments

• Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    I don’t know about you guys. Pete gets paid 7 figures to do this shit. So I trust him and his staff. Even though it might
  • Options
    GladstoneGladstone Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 16,417
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,237
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Gladstone said:

BuT StEvE EmPtErMaN WaS a tWo sTaR! LOLLERS
    The sample sizes would be too small but none the less I wonder what these percentages look like for Pete & Co.
  • Options
    Ice_HolmvikIce_Holmvik Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,909
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam

pat_hm said:

I expect DDY to come in guns blazing in 3, 2, 1 to learn y'all....some of the takes in this thread are extremely naive and borderline racist.

This entire message board is naive and borderline racist. You have people starting threads after we offered a kid with “(dark skinned)” in parenthesis. It’s embarrassing. It’s almost like the majority of posters have never left Seattle/Western Washington which isn’t exactly the cradle of diversity.
    We? have Norwegians, Swedes and Danes. We have 'Bodes, Laotians, and Viets. We have queers, genderqueers, trannies, drags, nonbinaries, flamers, bears and trykes. There's diversity coming out the ass. Get woke, bruh.
    Can you "DM" me the deets please. Askin for a fren.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    pat_hm said:

I expect DDY to come in guns blazing in 3, 2, 1 to learn y'all....some of the takes in this thread are extremely naive and borderline racist.

This entire message board is naive and borderline racist. You have people starting threads after we offered a kid with “(dark skinned)” in parenthesis. It’s embarrassing. It’s almost like the majority of posters have never left Seattle/Western Washington which isn’t exactly the cradle of diversity.
    https://www.thestranger.com/news/2017/10/04/25451102/we-snuck-into-seattles-super-secret-white-nationalist-convention
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,091

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Gladstone said:

pat_hm said:

I also think it’s easy to look at 247 and see these guys and get upset weren’t not offering but we don’t know the real story. Petersen does his homework. There’s a reason. The recruiting has improved every season and with that the # of guys entering the league will only increase. We’re talking 10 next year.

Agreed. Well said.
    pat_hm said:

If that’s not enough to convince some kid to attend UW over USC/Oregon then they’re not worth the time to begin with.

Doogism.
    Have any of you actually had conversations with said kids? I have. Oregon knows what they want to hear and they eat it up. You mean I can smoke weed and play Xbox in the locker room and wear cool uniforms and get Jordan’s SIGN ME UP! That’s why I mean. Petersen isn’t going to play that game so why waste the time? Do I think he could lighten up a bit and have more fun with it? Yes. Absolutely. I think we started to see that a bit this past class. I just believe It’s a lost cause wasting resources on “talent” that thinks so short term. Coach Pete agrees with me. And clearly programs like Oregon and USC either 1) don’t tell them the entire truth or 2) are banking on their god given talent and will deal with the other issues in the future. The risk is massive underachievement and attrition.

I’m sorry but I like the Will Dissly’s in the program. They create the culture and expection. Treshawns don’t.
    I like Budda Bakers also!

Why can’t we have both?
    If you consider Budda Baker and Kevin King fast strategy then we’re talking apples and oranges here. My definition is completely different than yours then. Of course I love those guys. But Bellevue and Bishop O’Dowd are light years different than some of the high schools /areas down in Southern California. Those are palaces compared to Hawthorne, Compton and Long Beach. I remember seeing a picture of Budda in Hawaii with the Bowman’s when he was in HS; the kids I’ve worked with haven’t even been to Santa Monica before and they live in LA...

It’s not hard to spot a cancer. Go watch Tresahwns commitment video and tell why you think he would have been a positive influence on this team. Go read the quotes by Deommore Lenoir this offseason. There are reasons we don’t bring certain personalities into this culture. See why James Osborne has said about ego’s. This is why I’m eluding to. The guys who’s only goal is to get to the NFL in three years and get paid. Cancers.
    OK, so yeah, fast strategy is an actual science thingy. It’s not about what HS you go to. So you are talking about stuff completely different, like you said.

I just want to make sure the fast strategy stuff doesn’t get tied to what you are talking about.
    The two are closely related in many cases. Some high schools are predominately fed by more impoverished communities.

http://hardcorehusky.com/discussion/45358/too-white-to-win-now-enhanced-with-an-evolutionary-biology-lecture/p1

• Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,472
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    @89ute there are no black people in your airport. You need to diversify.

• Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685
    Doogles said:

I missed my flight back to Cali and finally read this thread. As I get wasted for the next 4 hours at an airport bar, here are my thoughts.

The whole chicken and the egg, nature versus nurture argument is ongoing and everlasting.

I can comfortably say as a half Hispanic white male I've done well by myself being a traveling corporate salesman.

BUT. I in no way fulfilled my potential as what I want to accomplish. It's easy to sit behind your keyboard and say well if I was 6'7" and ran a 4.4 and had a 40 inch vert I would care enough to make sure I made millions.

You don't! That's what Lake and Pete's message is about: You have the tools, do you give a fuck enough?

Look inward and if you're not where you want to be maybe you're not an O KK G

Not enough chins.

Welcome to the club, my fellow half breed.
  • Options
    FremontTrollFremontTroll Member Posts: 4,707
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Gladstone said:

pat_hm said:

I also think it’s easy to look at 247 and see these guys and get upset weren’t not offering but we don’t know the real story. Petersen does his homework. There’s a reason. The recruiting has improved every season and with that the # of guys entering the league will only increase. We’re talking 10 next year.

Agreed. Well said.
    pat_hm said:

If that’s not enough to convince some kid to attend UW over USC/Oregon then they’re not worth the time to begin with.

Doogism.
    Have any of you actually had conversations with said kids? I have. Oregon knows what they want to hear and they eat it up. You mean I can smoke weed and play Xbox in the locker room and wear cool uniforms and get Jordan’s SIGN ME UP! That’s why I mean. Petersen isn’t going to play that game so why waste the time? Do I think he could lighten up a bit and have more fun with it? Yes. Absolutely. I think we started to see that a bit this past class. I just believe It’s a lost cause wasting resources on “talent” that thinks so short term. Coach Pete agrees with me. And clearly programs like Oregon and USC either 1) don’t tell them the entire truth or 2) are banking on their god given talent and will deal with the other issues in the future. The risk is massive underachievement and attrition.

I’m sorry but I like the Will Dissly’s in the program. They create the culture and expection. Treshawns don’t.

Why can’t we have both?
    If you consider Budda Baker and Kevin King fast strategy then we’re talking apples and oranges here. My definition is completely different than yours then. Of course I love those guys. But Bellevue and Bishop O’Dowd are light years different than some of the high schools /areas down in Southern California. Those are palaces compared to Hawthorne, Compton and Long Beach. I remember seeing a picture of Budda in Hawaii with the Bowman’s when he was in HS; the kids I’ve worked with haven’t even been to Santa Monica before and they live in LA...

It’s not hard to spot a cancer. Go watch Tresahwns commitment video and tell why you think he would have been a positive influence on this team. Go read the quotes by Deommore Lenoir this offseason. There are reasons we don’t bring certain personalities into this culture. See why James Osborne has said about ego’s. This is why I’m eluding to. The guys who’s only goal is to get to the NFL in three years and get paid. Cancers.
    Kids are malleable and feed off the culture they are a part of. The problem is not CP's culture once they get here- that culture is strong enough at this point with all the winning to get near universal buy in.

The issue is selling to the kids that are more egotistical and focused on the nfl. (Maybe, just maybe, because they are the only person who ever cared about themselves and the nfl was always their only way out.)

We do ourselves a disservice by ruling out half the 4/5* west coast talent right off the bat. Yes, it might be more difficult to close on a Treshaun but overall if we want our recruiting to reach the next level we need a bigger talent pool to draw from. Going after slow strategy and poly kids in Georgia probably isn't going to pay huge dividends.

• Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam

Aren't a lot of poly players fast strategy?

Not at all.

"Lotulelei returned to the University of Utah for his senior year, and started in all 12 games at nose tackle..."

Rare for Polys to leave early. Star would have been a 1st round draft pick after his junior year. Dude wanted that sociology degree and he got it.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one Poly who left early. Sealver Siliga. Found out after he left he absolutely hated school and wanted out asap.
  • Options
    89ute89ute Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,453
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Doogles said:

@89ute there are no black people in your airport. You need to diversify.

I've been trying to get Dennis' attention. Maybe I need to step it up.
  • Options
    AIRWOLFAIRWOLF Member Posts: 1,840
    5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Anniversary First Comment

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Gladstone said:

pat_hm said:

Agreed. Well said.
    pat_hm said:

Doogism.

Why can’t we have both?

Kids are malleable and feed off the culture they are a part of. The problem is not CP's culture once they get here- that culture is strong enough at this point with all the winning to get near universal buy in.

The issue is selling to the kids that are more egotistical and focused on the nfl. (Maybe, just maybe, because they are the only person who ever cared about themselves and the nfl was always their only way out.)

We do ourselves a disservice by ruling out half the 4/5* west coast talent right off the bat. Yes, it might be more difficult to close on a Treshaun but overall if we want our recruiting to reach the next level we need a bigger talent pool to draw from. Going after slow strategy and poly kids in Georgia probably isn't going to pay huge dividends.

Agree and disagree with this.

Petersen and staff definitely need to do more work on "overcoming objections" in their pitch to fast strategy types and may very well need to tailor their message in a way that is more easily received by those of that background.

But they don't need to change the message nor the philosophy behind it.

And some guys just aren't going to fit with what Petersen expects in a player. Treshaun is likely a pretty good example of that kind of kid.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    89ute said:

Aren't a lot of poly players fast strategy?

Not at all.

"Lotulelei returned to the University of Utah for his senior year, and started in all 12 games at nose tackle..."

Rare for Polys to leave early. Star would have been a 1st round draft pick after his junior year. Dude wanted that sociology degree and he got it.

Off the top of my head, I can only think of one Poly who left early. Sealver Siliga. Found out after he left he absolutely hated school and wanted out asap.
    Faith, Family, Football

In that order.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    AIRWOLF said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Gladstone said:

pat_hm said:

Agreed. Well said.
    pat_hm said:

Doogism.

Why can’t we have both?

Petersen and staff definitely need to do more work on "overcoming objections" in their pitch to fast strategy types and may very well need to tailor their message in a way that is more easily received by those of that background.

And some guys just aren't going to fit with what Petersen expects in a player. Treshaun is likely a pretty good example of that kind of kid.
    I pretty much just see it as Pete needs to loosen up a bit and have a bit more fun especially during the recruiting process. "It's college football recruiting. It's not that serious." Protestant stoic work ethic is good and all but take a few pages from Carroll or Phil Jackson and let players be who they are and have some fun while working their asses off. I've seen some evidence of this with Pete's Hawaiian shirt and some of the more recent tweets. He'll get there it just may take some time for him to do so, much like many other things we have bitched about.
  • Options
    whuggywhuggy Member Posts: 2,088
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment

AIRWOLF said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Gladstone said:

pat_hm said:

Agreed. Well said.
    pat_hm said:

Doogism.

Why can’t we have both?

I pretty much just see it as Pete needs to loosen up a bit and have a bit more fun especially during the recruiting process. "It's college football recruiting. It's not that serious." Protestant stoic work ethic is good and all but take a few pages from Carroll or Phil Jackson and let players be who they are and have some fun while working their asses off. I've seen some evidence of this with Pete's Hawaiian shirt and some of the more recent tweets. He'll get there it just may take some time for him to do so, much like many other things we have bitched about.
    Winning games always has been and always will be the best recruiting pitch. Fast strategy or slow strategy, human nature will always attract people to a winning situation. Petersen won't have to change much if he keeps putting up double digit win seasons. All signs point to him doing just that.
  • Options
    MisterEmMisterEm Member Posts: 6,685

whuggy said:

AIRWOLF said:

pat_hm said:

pat_hm said:

Gladstone said:

pat_hm said:

Agreed. Well said.
    pat_hm said:

Doogism.

Why can’t we have both?

Winning games always has been and always will be the best recruiting pitch. Fast strategy or slow strategy, human nature will always attract people to a winning situation. Petersen won't have to change much if he keeps putting up double digit win seasons. All signs point to him doing just that.
    Now that sarks influence is finally gone all signs point to a long slow downward spiral.
    Kim's alt-handle.... EXPOSED!!!11!