Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

Round 1 - #6 Bruce Springsteen vs #11 Ramones

Comments

• Options
    Dennis_DeYoungDennis_DeYoung Member Posts: 14,754
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #11 The Ramones
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

The Ramones are posers who did nothing but plagiarize.shit.fucko. I'm guessing it's the millenial fags that are driving their success here.

You know like the ones that never saw them gayme.

Plagiarizing shit my ass fucko. They tore up the script basically got the whole Punk and New Wave thing going.
    Kreist. Right because noone had ever heard of the Stooges, Pistols or Bowie before them.

And New Wave isn't anything close to Punk.

But then again you had Elvis fucking Costello in this shit tourney....

David Bowie was not Punk.

The Pistols got their musical direction from the Ramones: ask the Pistols - they basically formed when the Ramones played in the UK.

The proto-punk bands were the Stooges and the MC5. Both were amazing.
    Disagree.

This is Punk and it's before any of those bitch hipped Ramones fags did anything.

https://youtu.be/zLnPd7lzT4g
    No.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8XhQRFO4M7A
  • Options
    KaepskneeKaepsknee Member Posts: 14,750
    5 Up Votes First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

The Ramones are top 10 rock band. Bruce is a fag for white people who don't understand irony and middle class Black people like Obama that need to say they like a white guy, even though they really don't and he seems relatively enjoyable on some level.

Bruce started out as a bad Bob Dylan fake then on his trajectory toward adult contemporary artist, he hit a sweet spot with Born to Run. Everything else is garbage.

Anyone saying the Ramones are posers has no fucking idea what the Ramones are. They basically started a genre of music that didn't exist - taking what was good from early rock and what was good from heavy rock and mixed them. Their lyrical themes were (although not to my taste per se) groundbreaking in their 'outsider' vibe (although their songs like Rockaway Beach were sort of a fast strategy white guy update of a Chuck Berry/Beach Boys narrative).

And they did it all with total lack of self-awareness. Their fucking main songwriter had a lobotomy for fuck's sake - and after the Ramones, he unironically tried to be a rapper named Dee Dee King.

Christ.
    Yes and Columbus discovered America.
  • Options
    #11 The Ramones
    salemcoog said:

The Ramones are top 10 rock band. Bruce is a fag for white people who don't understand irony and middle class Black people like Obama that need to say they like a white guy, even though they really don't and he seems relatively enjoyable on some level.

Bruce started out as a bad Bob Dylan fake then on his trajectory toward adult contemporary artist, he hit a sweet spot with Born to Run. Everything else is garbage.

Anyone saying the Ramones are posers has no fucking idea what the Ramones are. They basically started a genre of music that didn't exist - taking what was good from early rock and what was good from heavy rock and mixed them. Their lyrical themes were (although not to my taste per se) groundbreaking in their 'outsider' vibe (although their songs like Rockaway Beach were sort of a fast strategy white guy update of a Chuck Berry/Beach Boys narrative).

And they did it all with total lack of self-awareness. Their fucking main songwriter had a lobotomy for fuck's sake - and after the Ramones, he unironically tried to be a rapper named Dee Dee King.

Christ.
    Yes and Columbus discovered America.
    I discovered you're a fag.
  • Options
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

The Ramones are posers who did nothing but plagiarize.shit.fucko. I'm guessing it's the millenial fags that are driving their success here.

Plagiarizing shit my ass fucko. They tore up the script basically got the whole Punk and New Wave thing going.
    Kreist. Right because noone had ever heard of the Stooges, Pistols or Bowie before them.

The Pistols got their musical direction from the Ramones: ask the Pistols - they basically formed when the Ramones played in the UK.

Disagree.

This is Punk and it's before any of those bitch hipped Ramones fags did anything.

No.
    That'd be some Punk for Fags for sure.

Fuck Ram Jam singing Black Betty is more Punk than that shit.
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

Opposite of abundance

Lot of soul searching for me on this one. The 1st Ramones LP and the 3rd, Rocket to Russia are amongst my all time favs. Their influence cannot be overstated I think on the history of rock music. All that said, Jake Browning sucks, and Springsteen has mor great albums and a creative peak that lasted much longer- i.e, 1973- 87. Ramones started to run out of good ideas after only a few years.
    I was really close to going The Ramones for the reasons mentioned ... if I’m picking one song out of both combined category it’s I Want To Be Sedated.

Ultimately, longevity wins out ... but barely
  • Options
    YellowSnowYellowSnow Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 33,903
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Bowie wasn't punk but he did influence it.

Don't forget the New York Dolls in that mix with the Stooges and MC5 of important proto punk acts.
  • Options
    #11 The Ramones
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Disagree.

No.
    That'd be some Punk for Fags for sure.

Fuck Ram Jam singing Black Betty is more Punk than that shit.
    Chinned for a good insult, but you're wrong.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #6 Bruce Springsteen
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

You're missing the point. New Wave doesn't happen unless Punk happens first and tears up the script.
  • Options
    #11 The Ramones

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

You're missing the point. New Wave doesn't happen unless Punk happens first and tears up the script.
    All New Wave should be shot.

New Wave was just an excuse for the Cars to Trojan Horse their way into MTV and show everyone why all musical genres will eventually be lifeless zombies, devoid of any meaning or enjoyable characteristics. Just surface features that reflect the vapidity of society at large.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0Kv6vxZwL8
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3dOx510kyOs
  • Options
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

New Wave was just an excuse for the Cars to Trojan Horse their way into MTV and show everyone why all musical genres will eventually be lifeless zombies, devoid of any meaning or enjoyable characteristics. Just surface features that reflect the vapidity of society at large.
    The later Cars stuff definitely sucked ass. Such as the videos you showed. But the 70's- early 80's Cars stuff was very good.
  • Options
    edited April 2018
    #11 The Ramones
    salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

The later Cars stuff definitely sucked ass. Such as the videos you showed. But the 70's- early 80's Cars stuff was very good.
    I mean, they had to Trojan Horse in. The Late 70s was confusing as mass-market rock was dying.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpA3NVafsdo
  • Options
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

I can't disagree with this.
  • Options
    dncdnc Member Posts: 56,614
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    #11 The Ramones

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Not a poont in punk's favor
  • Options
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

salemcoog said:

salemcoog said:

Bowie wasn't punk but he did influence it.

Don't forget the New York Dolls in that mix with the Stooges and MC5 of important proto punk acts.
    Of the Long Island Johansen's???

He sure sold out later on, didn't He, with that whole Buster Poindexter thing,
  • Options
    SwayeSwaye Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 41,062
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Founders Club
    #11 The Ramones

This.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #11 The Ramones

Opposite of abundance

Lot of soul searching for me on this one. The 1st Ramones LP and the 3rd, Rocket to Russia are amongst my all time favs. Their influence cannot be overstated I think on the history of rock music. All that said, Jake Browning sucks, and Springsteen has mor great albums and a creative peak that lasted much longer- i.e, 1973- 87. Ramones started to run out of good ideas after only a few years.
    Tom Waits covering Danny Says is proof The Ramones didn't run out of good ideas after a few years.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTiTUQtuBTU
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    #6 Bruce Springsteen

Opposite of abundance

Tom Waits covering Danny Says is proof The Ramones didn't run out of good ideas after a few years.

Danny Says was recorded in 1980. Four years after their first LP. So not that far along in their career. Great song.
  • Options
    IPukeOregonGrellowIPukeOregonGrellow Member Posts: 2,183
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    #11 The Ramones

Opposite of abundance

Danny Says was recorded in 1980. Four years after their first LP. So not that far along in their career. Great song.
    Four years and five albums. But we'll move a decade ahead into their career.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Su0Hvt6hTmA

The Ramones made ten years worth of great albums until Dee Dee finally entered rehab and Joey was sick of Johnny's shit. Bruce Springsteen stopped making good music after Nebraska and started writing songs for try-hard white guys.
  • Options
    GrundleStiltzkinGrundleStiltzkin Member Posts: 61,481
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Standard Supporter
    #11 The Ramones
    Entirely too many fucks given about both