Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.

Comments

• HHuskyHHusky Member Posts: 20,358
    Right. ‘Cuz nobody is gonna want to make money if capital gains treatment returns to the status it had for decades.

I'm hearing that taxing cigarettes is an effective way to reduce consumption.

So if capital gains are taxed as ordinary income, your money goes straight under your mattress. Respectfully, that’s bullshit.

In last night’s Democratic presidential debate between Hillary Clinton and Barack Obama, moderator Charlie Gibson and Obama had the following exchange (courtesy of ABC News). Video is available here courtesy of the Say Anything blog.

GIBSON: All right. You have, however, said you would favor an increase in the capital gains tax. As a matter of fact, you said on CNBC, and I quote, “I certainly would not go above what existed under Bill Clinton,” which was 28 percent. It’s now 15 percent. That’s almost a doubling, if you went to 28 percent.

But actually, Bill Clinton, in 1997, signed legislation that dropped the capital gains tax to 20 percent.

OBAMA: Right.

GIBSON: And George Bush has taken it down to 15 percent.

OBAMA: Right.

GIBSON: And in each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased; the government took in more money. And in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28 percent, the revenues went down.

So why raise it at all, especially given the fact that 100 million people in this country own stock and would be affected?

OBAMA: Well, Charlie, what I’ve said is that I would look at raising the capital gains tax for purposes of fairness.

Fuck off

You confused me with Barrack Obama
    again. We all look alike, of course.
    edited January 2019

No I didn't confuse you at all. You're just as stupid when it comes to tax policy

How is your call to raise capital gains taxes different than calling to raise capital gains taxes?

Revenues go down so it can't be for the deficit. You could tax billionaires at 100% as long as they had money and the government would still outspend it

Your plan is nothing more than some fucktarded idea of fairness just like Obama

Sorry. Revenues won’t go down if gains are simply taxed as ordinary income, just like wages. I think the Laffer Curve has simply produced confusion for you. Ordinary income tax rates are not now high enough to kill incentives to work and invest.
  • RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 104,479 Founders Club
    HHusky said:

No I didn't confuse you at all. You're just as stupid when it comes to tax policy

How is your call to raise capital gains taxes different than calling to raise capital gains taxes?

Revenues go down so it can't be for the deficit. You could tax billionaires at 100% as long as they had money and the government would still outspend it

Sorry. Revenues won’t go down if gains are simply income just like wages. I think the Laffer Curve has simply produced confusion for you. Ordinary income tax rates are not now high enough to kill incentives to work and invest.
    Take it up with actual facts

GIBSON: And in each instance, when the rate dropped, revenues from the tax increased; the government took in more money. And in the 1980s, when the tax was increased to 28 percent, the revenues went down.

Two points here:

1. Every tax policy change in US history has been followed shortly thereafter by increased tax revenue. That’s a function of US economic growth.

2. Capital gains collections doubled between 1985 and 1986 in anticipation of the rate hike. They then “declined” to an amount that was higher than any previous year but 1986 and grew steadily from there.

Don’t quit your day job.
  • Pitchfork51Pitchfork51 Member Posts: 26,852
    Mine goes in the basement next to the cheetos
  • greenbloodgreenblood Member Posts: 14,309
    edited January 2019
    HHusky said:

So if capital gains are taxed as ordinary income, your money goes straight under your mattress. Respectfully, that’s bullshit.
    No but 30 seconds after the announcement, the stock market will drop 2,000-3,000 points, because the valuation of the stock market would be turned upside down. You don’t think there will be massive selling to capitalize on the capital gains tax before the shift to ordinary income? That’s always a great policy plan for any president. You will also see a massive change in investment vehicles, which will create complete chaos on Wall Street. Most of this shift will be towards real estate where people can defer earnings through 1031 exchanges. Any president that allows that will be a guaranteed one term president. Won’t ever happen.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

HHusky said:

Sorry. Revenues won’t go down if gains are simply income just like wages. I think the Laffer Curve has simply produced confusion for you. Ordinary income tax rates are not now high enough to kill incentives to work and invest.

Except that didn't happen for Trump's tax cut. Revenues were about flat. And that was with explosive growth in the economy according to our president.
  • 2001400ex2001400ex Member Posts: 29,457

Seems like a solid way to kill capital investment!

There's a reason this idea dies as soon as anyone gets into office.

Say you are in the top tax bracket. You have a million dollar investment in the table that is going to be worth $3 million in 10 years.

Currently you'll pay $400k in taxes and take home $1.6 million. If rate went up 40%. You'd take home only $1.2 million.

Your comment suggests you wouldn't do the deal if the tax rate was 40%. And that's exactly why you aren't a business owner.
  • MikeDamoneMikeDamone Member Posts: 37,781
    2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

Except that didn't happen for Trump's tax cut. Revenues were about flat. And that was with explosive growth in the economy according to our president.
    Leave it to Hondo to build that strawman. Never disappoints.

Capital gains tax wasn’t cut in the tax bill. Please try to follow along.
  • SFGbobSFGbob Member Posts: 31,943

2001400ex said:

HHusky said:

Leave it to Hondo to build that strawman. Never disappoints.

Capital gains tax wasn’t cut in the tax bill. Please try to follow along.
    All taxes are the same to Hondo. Payroll, income, excise, cap gains, they are all "essentially" the same inside of his pea sized brain.
  • sarktasticsarktastic Member Posts: 9,208
    Wouldn’t it be better to just seize all the Nice shit Rich people have and put it back to the People in a TV Reality Show National Lottery?

HHusky said:

No but 30 seconds after the announcement, the stock market will drop 2,000-3,000 points, because the valuation of the stock market would be turned upside down. You don’t think there will be massive selling to capitalize on the capital gains tax before the shift to ordinary income? That’s always a great policy plan for any president. You will also see a massive change in investment vehicles, which will create complete chaos on Wall Street. Most of this shift will be towards real estate where people can defer earnings through 1031 exchanges. Any president that allows that will be a guaranteed one term president. Won’t ever happen.
    Many such changes are phased in. The ability to defer earnings is already present. This President has started a trade war and shuttered government. But the disruption caused by changing the tax treatment of capital gains alarms you?