Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

5th Annual Jesse Callier Commemorative Post-Collegiate Career Impact Ranking Survey RESULTS (2019)

13»

Comments

• Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary

dhdawg said:

To be a 5 the guy needs to have multiple years playing at an elite level. Rapp and gaskin both had that. Murphy and BBK both had 1 year and that's why they are 4's.

By this definition Marques Tuiasosopo would have been a 4.

DISAGREE
    there is a line I've been thinking about to where a 1 year guy can be a 5. Billy Joe only played one year but won a NC at QB. he may be a 5. Tui given he led a team to 11-1 and won a rose bowl may be over that line too.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019

Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

To be a 5 the guy needs to have multiple years playing at an elite level. Rapp and gaskin both had that. Murphy and BBK both had 1 year and that's why they are 4's.

So guys like Corey Dillon and Minshew can never be 5s?

Also BBK was all Pac12 as a junior and led the team in tackles by like 20, had just as many picks as Rapp(1), 2 more forced fumbles, more passes defensed, but whatever he's undersized and Dennis hates him.
    maybe my standard for a 5 is too high. I would not give minshew a 5, didn't get to watch dillon. It's almost impossible to have the program building impact required for a 5 in 1 year.
    BBK is a very high 4. Last year he put up a lot of stats but in terms of making big plays and showing up in big moments he was far and away better this year. He was abused in the Stanford game last year.
    Minshew gave the cougs their best season in program history, he was a 5-star recruit for Leach. 1st team all-American should be a guaranteed five star. It's pretty much the Pinnacle of what you're trying to recruit.

It's not an all time list.

Otherwise just re-rank recruiting classes by position drafted in NFL:
    1st round=5 star
    2-5= 4-star
    6-undrafted = 3-star
    I would say anybody getting drafted is at least a 4 star in that scenario. There's only 250-260 total players picked in a given draft, four stars usually extend down to guys ranked 300-350 depending on the ranking system. I wouldn't base this analysis around the draft picks but if you did nobody getting picked should be a 3 star IMO.
    Agree, just trying to appease the masses that think an average recruit is a late round draft pick.

By the numbers, as you pointed out, anyone drafted should be a 4-star, reserving 1st rounders to elite 5-star status.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited January 2019
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

DISAGREE
    there is a line I've been thinking about to where a 1 year guy can be a 5. Billy Joe only played one year but won a NC at QB. he may be a 5. Tui given he led a team to 11-1 and won a rose bowl may be over that line too.
    Hobert *may* be a 5? Holy shit man he lead us to our only 12-0 season. He's the definition of a 5. If Hobert's not a 5 there's no point in even doing this exercise.

Short term excellence >>>> long term above average.
  • Options

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

DISAGREE
    Hobert *may* be a 5? Holy shit man he lead us to our only 12-0 season. He's the definition of a 5. If Hobert's not a 5 there's no point in even doing this exercise.

Short term excellence >>>> long term mediocrity. This is why everybody kept saying Browning could rewrite his legacy with a shitty rose bowel win.

He didn't, wiw and atbsjbs.
    A 5 changes the program. Rapp led a defense that for 3 years led the conference in defense and a secondary that dominated. Gaskin dominated for 4 years.
    John Ross was a 5. his dominance got us to the highest point this program has been at in over a decade.
    I don't see BBK or Murphy being impactful on that kind of a level.

I also don't think long term mediocrity is better. I didn't give mcgary a 5 either.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    edited January 2019
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

DISAGREE

Short term excellence >>>> long term mediocrity. This is why everybody kept saying Browning could rewrite his legacy with a shitty rose bowel win.

A 5 changes the program. Rapp led a defense that for 3 years led the conference in defense and a secondary that dominated. Gaskin dominated for 4 years.
    John Ross was a 5. his dominance got us to the highest point this program has been at in over a decade.

I also don't think long term mediocrity is better. I didn't give mcgary a 5 either.
    BBK was the first 1st team AA LB for Washington since Dave Hoffman. In our dumbass bend don't break scheme that "dominated" the past 3 years under Rapp, it was BBK's sideline to sideline speed and nose for the ball that had the biggest impact in making a team earn their points. Our dominate secondary also got shredded by any passing team with a pulse the past 3 years minus the coogs.

I'm not trying to change your mind, just find it interesting where people draw the line on players for mythical reasons.

Edit: Didn't want to disrespect the old timers so I went to wiki for some fact checking, BBK is UWs only concencus AA LB since Rick Redman in the early 60s.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,620
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

DISAGREE

Ross had one great season.
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

dhdawg said:

DISAGREE

John Ross was shit except for one season
  • Options
    yes he's an example of someone whose 1 year was great enough to warrant a 5.
  • Options
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

But Billy Joe warrants consideration.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

But Billy Joe warrants consideration.
    I meant to include that in one of my latest posts. Billy Joe and Tui are certainly 5's.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

Also BBK was all Pac12 as a junior and led the team in tackles by like 20, had just as many picks as Rapp(1), 2 more forced fumbles, more passes defensed, but whatever he's undersized and Dennis hates him.
    maybe my standard for a 5 is too high. I would not give minshew a 5, didn't get to watch dillon. It's almost impossible to have the program building impact required for a 5 in 1 year.
    BBK is a very high 4. Last year he put up a lot of stats but in terms of making big plays and showing up in big moments he was far and away better this year. He was abused in the Stanford game last year.
    He didn’t get abused in the Stanford game. Since Lawyer Milloy said it, it must be true?

Some idiots on this board: “Teams run right at BBK.”

You mean that football teams run the ball between the tackles sometimes? Who knew?
  • Options
    FireCohenFireCohen Member Posts: 21,823
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker 5 Up Votes
    This thread went to shit in a hurry
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    Founders Club

This thread went to shit in a hurry

I made the last good poast. Not my fault that I followed up with a shitty poast
  • Options
    godawgstgodawgst Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 2,409
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes First Comment
    Swaye's Wigwam

dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

He didn’t get abused in the Stanford game. Since Lawyer Milloy said it, it must be true?

You mean that football teams run the ball between the tackles sometimes? Who knew?
    Dave Hoffman said the same thing after the Stanford game down there as well.
  • Options
    RoadDawg55RoadDawg55 Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 30,123
    Swaye's Wigwam
    godawgst said:

dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

Dave Hoffman said the same thing after the Stanford game down there as well.
    I remember Joyner and Bryant getting abused. Love was mostly held in check until a big run late (McIntosh bad angle).