Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. Sign in or register to get started.

Welcome to the Hardcore Husky Forums. Folks who are well-known in Cyberland and not that dumb.
Options

5th Annual Jesse Callier Commemorative Post-Collegiate Career Impact Ranking Survey RESULTS (2019)

Comments

• Options
    whatshouldicareaboutwhatshouldicareabout Member Posts: 12,444
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes
    Do you have historical votes by people? Would be interesting to see their 5-year averages and look at trends in their voting year-over-year.
  • Options
    Mad_SonMad_Son Member Posts: 10,093
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes First Comment
    A key thing for me is peak contributions. For example I gave bbk 4 because of what he was this year. I would have potentially given him 2 pre-season and almost gave him 3 because he started the year a bit slower but he definitely had a big year for us this year and it's not his fault we had little depth and he had to play before he was ready (another factor I considered for 3 was did he only become as good as he did because he got the jillion game time reps that he did but erred on giving him cred)
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Browning’s a (low) 4 due to his longevity and 2016

In the end, 2 conference titles and 3 NY6 Bowls are reasonably solid ... although fair to note he largely sucked in each game
  • Options
    dhdawgdhdawg Member Posts: 13,326
    5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker First Anniversary
    I probably should have given Browning a 3. 2016 he was a 4/5 level player. This year he was so bad that I felt like I had to give him a 2
  • Options
    TequillaTequilla Member Posts: 19,815
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes 5 Up Votes 5 Fuck Offs
    Browning is also a guy whose rating was as much due to not separating personal hate vs on field performance
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    Woof said:

Doogles said:

kh83 said:

So I think we all sort of vary a little on what 2-3-4 rankings are, but generally, id bet we all think a 5 is a complete baller, best in the nation worthy and a 1 contributed nothing. For me, Bowman hit the field and played. Thats a minimum 2 ranking.

People forget why this thing started in the first place.

It's because Jessie Callier WAS a 3 star and I'll die on that sword!

He was a low 3, but I agree.

My rating system is something like:
    1 - never played, or only played in garbage time and generally sucked - Michael Neal
    2 - played a bit, maybe some spot starts, but never held down a full season and/or generally was below average when on the field - Shane Bowman
    3 - started about a year and likely contributed another year or two, but generally pretty average - Tevis Bartlett
    4 - multi-year starter, above average for at least a year, likely with some postseason honors like Pac-12 1st or 2nd team - BBK
    5 - multi-year starter that was above average for multiple years. Made lots of splash plays and won a significant award like the Morris Trophy or was an All-American - MMFG

From there, I will bump up or down a point, given my personal like/dislike of said player. My system likely overrates longevity, but IMHO a guy like Gaskin that stays 4 years and sets a ton of records has a more impactful career than a guy like Byron Murphy that kills it for 18 games and then goes to the NFL. This year was tough because there were so many likeable players in that 3+ range (Sample, String, Tevis, Miller, McIntosh, etc.)
    Personal bias or likeability factor is dumb considering it's supposed to be about impact to UW football program, nothing more.

By your definition BBK is a slam dunk 5 (productive multi-year starter, all-american, P12 DPOY, made splash plays) but because Dennis hates white people he's a 4?
  • Options
    JoeEDangerouslyJoeEDangerously Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 6,148
    First Anniversary 5 Awesomes First Comment 5 Up Votes
    Founders Club
    I'm open to discussion as to why Sugar Shane Bozeman isn't a 1
    Tequilla said:

Browning is also a guy whose rating was as much due to not separating personal hate vs on field performance

I gave him a 3 because after 2016 I would have put him at a 5 then docked him a point every year after
  • Options
    UW_Doog_BotUW_Doog_Bot Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 14,257
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    After receiving the most retarded voter status last year I sat this year out. #additionbysubtraction

• Options
    RaceBannonRaceBannon Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 101,381
    Swaye's Wigwam
    It’s almost like people here are projecting the qualities of being OKG as being impacted by racial stereotypes, and ignoring how its actually being applied by their background/surroundings....
  • Options
    CFetters_Nacho_LoverCFetters_Nacho_Lover Moderator, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 28,895
    First Anniversary First Comment 5 Up Votes Combo Breaker
    Founders Club
    Doogles said:

Woof said:

Doogles said:

kh83 said:

So I think we all sort of vary a little on what 2-3-4 rankings are, but generally, id bet we all think a 5 is a complete baller, best in the nation worthy and a 1 contributed nothing. For me, Bowman hit the field and played. Thats a minimum 2 ranking.

People forget why this thing started in the first place.

It's because Jessie Callier WAS a 3 star and I'll die on that sword!

He was a low 3, but I agree.

My rating system is something like:
    1 - never played, or only played in garbage time and generally sucked - Michael Neal
    2 - played a bit, maybe some spot starts, but never held down a full season and/or generally was below average when on the field - Shane Bowman
    3 - started about a year and likely contributed another year or two, but generally pretty average - Tevis Bartlett
    4 - multi-year starter, above average for at least a year, likely with some postseason honors like Pac-12 1st or 2nd team - BBK
    5 - multi-year starter that was above average for multiple years. Made lots of splash plays and won a significant award like the Morris Trophy or was an All-American - MMFG

From there, I will bump up or down a point, given my personal like/dislike of said player. My system likely overrates longevity, but IMHO a guy like Gaskin that stays 4 years and sets a ton of records has a more impactful career than a guy like Byron Murphy that kills it for 18 games and then goes to the NFL. This year was tough because there were so many likeable players in that 3+ range (Sample, String, Tevis, Miller, McIntosh, etc.)
    Personal bias or likeability factor is dumb considering it's supposed to be about impact to UW football program, nothing more.

By your definition BBK is a slam dunk 5 (productive multi-year starter, all-american, P12 DPOY, made splash plays) but because Dennis hates white people he's a 4?
    Pretty much.
  • Options
    To be a 5 the guy needs to have multiple years playing at an elite level. Rapp and gaskin both had that. Murphy and BBK both had 1 year and that's why they are 4's.
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 10,621
    First Comment First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

To be a 5 the guy needs to have multiple years playing at an elite level. Rapp and gaskin both had that. Murphy and BBK both had 1 year and that's why they are 4's.

I don't follow the same rule. To reach 5* status for me means one of two things:
    1. One season of absolute dominance, 1st team all league, AA consideration at a minimum or at least a consensus among fans that he should have been.
    2. Multiple years of All Pac, dominant play (think Greg Gaines, who hasn't sniffed AA but has been a force for three years).

My standards seem to be a bit lower than most. I'll also give a guy 4,* even if he never really plays at a 4* level, for being a good player who contributes for a long time and eventually gets conference level recognition. That, in my mind, is the acceptable floor for a 4* prospect. Some of them need to exceed that if you're to be a good team, but meeting at least that out of all means you're evaluating and coaching well.
  • Options
    Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

So guys like Corey Dillon and Minshew can never be 5s?

Also BBK was all Pac12 as a junior and led the team in tackles by like 20, had just as many picks as Rapp(1), 2 more forced fumbles, more passes defensed, but whatever he's undersized and Dennis hates him.
    maybe my standard for a 5 is too high. I would not give minshew a 5, didn't get to watch dillon. It's almost impossible to have the program building impact required for a 5 in 1 year.
    BBK is a very high 4. Last year he put up a lot of stats but in terms of making big plays and showing up in big moments he was far and away better this year. He was abused in the Stanford game last year.
  • Options
    DooglesDoogles Member, Swaye's Wigwam Posts: 12,475
    Swaye's Wigwam
    dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

Also BBK was all Pac12 as a junior and led the team in tackles by like 20, had just as many picks as Rapp(1), 2 more forced fumbles, more passes defensed, but whatever he's undersized and Dennis hates him.
    maybe my standard for a 5 is too high. I would not give minshew a 5, didn't get to watch dillon. It's almost impossible to have the program building impact required for a 5 in 1 year.
    BBK is a very high 4. Last year he put up a lot of stats but in terms of making big plays and showing up in big moments he was far and away better this year. He was abused in the Stanford game last year.
    Minshew gave the cougs their best season in program history, he was a 5-star recruit for Leach. 1st team all-American should be a guaranteed five star. It's pretty much the Pinnacle of what you're trying to recruit.

It's not an all time list.

Otherwise just re-rank recruiting classes by position drafted in NFL:
    1st round=5 star
    2-5= 4-star
    6-undrafted = 3-star
  • Options
    HillsboroDuckHillsboroDuck Member Posts: 9,186
    First Anniversary 5 Up Votes 5 Awesomes Combo Breaker
    edited January 2019
    Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

Doogles said:

dhdawg said:

Minshew gave the cougs their best season in program history, he was a 5-star recruit for Leach. 1st team all-American should be a guaranteed five star. It's pretty much the Pinnacle of what you're trying to recruit.

It's not an all time list.

Otherwise just re-rank recruiting classes by position drafted in NFL:
    1st round=5 star
    2-5= 4-star
    6-undrafted = 3-star
    I would say anybody getting drafted is at least a 4 star in that scenario. There's only 250-260 total players picked in a given draft, four stars usually extend down to guys ranked 300-350 depending on the ranking system. I wouldn't base this analysis around the draft picks but if you did nobody getting picked should be a 3 star IMO.